It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Ohio Rebel Rally - Lake Hope Sept.7-9
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:50 am 

State/Province: SC
City: Mid South Of
Left Lake Hope about 2:30 pm yesterday. 11 am is checkout time. Seemed RW & I, ServerGoon, tigerlily and Lexiyntax did not want to let-go of the weekend yet. Thanks ya'll for helping RW load our bikes back unto the trailer.

tigerlily, no need to stop by & pick up a Lake Hope baseball cap for me. (I saw the one Pat bought, & wanted one myself) The office was open. I couldn't make up my mind so bought one for me, one for RW, AND a t-shirt. Jeez, AtlAggie must have rubbed off on me .. he's the t-shirt guy!

By the way, Phil & Lisa are home safe. Delbert called just after we crossed into NC to let us know 5 got home alright. (noticed 12 missed calls - one from Phil)

PLEASE NOTE !!!

B.O.B. is already posting under Memorable Rides .. Bob's Travelogue. He decided to take off with Buickguy.

I'm fuzzy, tired, and hungry. When we got home, 1:30 or 2:30 am, not sure, I grabbed my tank bag and overnite bag, walked in, fell onto the bed and passed out. Left everything else in the truck, bikes still on the trailer. (should have brought in the food in the cooler .. but didn't really care at the time) RW is still asleep. And after getting something to eat (it's taking me so long to compose my thoughts to write this! So tired, can't think clearly. I'll bet I've been sleeping between paragraphs) .. I'm going back to bed. More later.

Great rally, good friends .. new & old, lots of food, and rain storms or not .. we adjusted. Good time!

Lexiyntax, RW & I both commented several times on the return trip,

"We should have taken up Daniel's offer of spending another nite, in his cabin"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:49 am 

City: Alongside Sw
SW is sleeping.

I just found one of Pat's pecan pies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:44 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Creston
If only I had a way of taking some pecan pie home with me... :(

Pat's pecan pie was AWESOME! I made a glutton of myself and finished off one pie the night before. Anyone who knows me knows that I really don't eat any sweets. I even had some of Marie's raisin cookies, they were awesome too!

'07 Rebel 250
'00 Rebel 250
'86 Rebel 450

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:53 pm 

State/Province: MS
City: Gulf
Hello Rebellers!

SW - Have we heard from everyone yet? Everybody home safe?

Cagie - Dude, Thanks man! You really saved my butt this time!

Steve - I lost my chicken strips on KY Route 2, WhooHoo!

935 miles, 20 hours. Long ride, didn't make very good time. Sure had a good time, though! I got sidetracked in Kentucky. :)

My short cuts were actually shorter, but the 250 or so miles from Lake Hope to Tennessee line took more than seven wonderful hours! I couldn't believe it! Perfect weather, perfect roads, even my wrong turns turned out to be right! I'll post the route and comments on the rides threads. Incredible!

I learned a very useful thing about my Bonnie and her tyres: between 40 and 70 mph, I don't have to worry about scraping all that pretty chrome off the bottom of the pegs. Way long before that can happen, you have already leaned past the edge of the tread. :shock:

Everybody - Man it's good to see all ya'll! Good folks, good fun, good rides. Good eats, too, thanks to everyone for helping. I'm still so full I don't think I can eat again for a week, at least! Can't wait till next year!

SW - is it too soon to start planning?

WoooHoo!!! Rubber side down, ya'll!

Bighillwill

ps Hey Steve - When you get to Vermont, cut some cheese for the Rebel Rousers!

Last edited by Bighillwill on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:08 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
Rebel: 250
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
Will, Glad you made it safely!
I was thinking about your long ride while riding up the interstate.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:14 pm 

Motorcycle: 2002 V Star 650 Custom
Rebel: 450
State/Province: OH
City: Albany
I'm happy to see everyone is home safe...wait, has anyone heard from Jefferson yet?

I know Daniel is still in the area, he had some trouble with his Rebel today and Mark went out to Lake Hope to help him. His Rebel thought it was a HD and chose today to develop an oil leak! It's fixed now though...we hope!

Therapy Is Expensive...Wind is Cheap!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:44 pm 

Buickguy wrote:
Will, Glad you made it safely!
I was thinking about your long ride while riding up the interstate.

Thanks! I rode 250 or so miles of cool stuff, but that still leaves most of the ride for slabbin', so we were all in the same boat.

I'm really glad everyone had such good weather. We can't all "Ride the Nickel" or "Ride the Dragon" every day, but even "Riding the Slab" can be pretty groovy on such a nice day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:02 pm 

Oops, sorry, double post. I don't know how to fix it, except to enter

FOO.[ADMN :: HLP].BAR

Or, maybe not. For all I know, that command might eliminate Pluto or something. Aw crap...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:03 pm 

I was feeling for you though. We were up late talking and you left at 0 Dark thirty.
The Zombie Woof was starting to creep up on me for a five hour ride of 285 miles on five hours of sleep.
You did 20 hours worth of 935 miles on about three hours of sleep.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:30 pm 

Buickguy wrote:
I was feeling for you though. We were up late talking and you left at 0 Dark thirty.
The Zombie Woof was starting to creep up on me for a five hour ride of 285 miles on five hours of sleep.
You did 20 hours worth of 935 miles on about three hours of sleep.

Well, you know, I get to NewAwlins from time to time, so dat Woof, I know him some. He rode wit me for de las 200 miles, mebbe. Got to watch him though, he'll turn on ya. Big giant rabbits by the side o' de road, and such.

Rubbuh side down, now, you hea!

BigSwampWillie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:24 am 

Bighillwill wrote:
SW - Have we heard from everyone yet? Everybody home safe?

Most everyone got home and called or sent word .. except the following ..

- Bob of Tuscaloosa AL.
- PaultJack
- Lexiyntax (Daniel)
- Tiercel (Jefferson)

... Bob DID post to Jim's Rebel-group saying he was heading home but making stops. For all I know he's posted getting home by now.

For those who didn't know .. Bob cancelled because of "problems with water" per Jim. His water problem turned out to be his new car being caught in a flash flood. His wife waded away from the car, and Bob remained inside until help arrived to pull/tow the now inoperable vehicle. I was almost deliriously happy when he drove up to the cabins. A sentiment shared by many of us, as it turned out.

.. PaultJack .. I'm worrying about. He's had awful problems with his knees, then smashed into something with one of them while he was packing up for this trip. Despite this, I caught sight of him picking up scattered plates, paper cups, paper that had been left outside and scattered during the night's storm .. Friday morning .. while others were on the ice cream ride.

It was only after he handed me money before departure (more money than anyone has ever left me with to cover his idea of his food intake) did I realize he hadn't joined the grocery runs this time. Last time, he'd brought back a bunch of drinks to share and I lit into the Mountain Dew. I took some leftovers home, I believe. This time, I drank a can of V8 Saturday nite. Bob, who I shared a can with after his arrival .. brought back a 4-pack of Strawberry/Banana V8 from his grocery run. I always seem to get the better deal on this trading/sharing part of these Rebel rallies. And not complaining one bit! I'll later tell you how/why I believe I ended up with a WHOLE pecan pie in our cooler in SC.

Someone check on Paul.

.. Lexiyntax reserved #42 for an additional night. He was sitting at his picnic table out front, eating lunch as we drove out. He said he'd post when he got home.

.. Jefferson was not expected to get home immediately after Lake Hope. He, also, said he would post upon home.

Steve took a month off and will be traveling through the New England states in search of his favorite foods to eat. He promised to keep tabs .. has already done so .. via Jim posting of his first stop in NY.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:33 am 

For those interested in where we all came from for this 2012 Lake Hope rally ....

OH, GA, AL, SC, TN, MS, IN, PA, MD, MI, VA, DC

(Mind-blowing, isn't it?)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:08 am 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
Rebel: None
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
Sorry guys that I missed this rally; I had to go visit the wife in Florida.
I rode back Saturday up the Interstate, thinking I missed a good ride up in Ohio.
I ran into a nasty rain storm just west of Chattanooga and was in the ride until Mont Eagle.
After that, it was cool (burr). It really was a cold front.
I am planning on going to the Cumberland Gap meet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 am 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
Rebel: 450
State/Province: PA
City: Marietta
Paul reported to me at 4:49 Sunday that he had made it home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 am 

we be glad to have you at Cumberland Gap. TN.
meet , Sept 20-22nd. we are looking for a good crowd !!
Jim Wilson in TN.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 pm 

Motorcycle: '12 Rebel
State/Province: DC
City: Washington
I made it back home (finally). Saw Columbus and stayed the night on Sunday. Was on my way home and just happened (honest!) to pass by the Motorcycle Hall of Fame and a half hour detour somehow turned into the whole afternoon. So Monday I decided to stay in Somerset PA. Realized I ought to visit the Flight 93 memorial this morning (Tuesday) on the anniversary of 9/11 (which was only a few miles away from Somerset). Then rode by the Antietum battlefield and figured that I might as well pop in. Forgot this upcoming weekend is the 150th anniversary of Antietum (Sharpsburg) so my trip got even more delayed!

So glad to have met so many great people! Thank you so much for the welcoming hospitality and especially the riding tips. I can't wait to see you next year at Lake Hope!

2012 Honda Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm 

Glad you got in.
I was thinking about a side trip to Westerville.
Its a great stop.
I was thinking about Wapokeneta as well, since Neil Armstrong just passed Aug 25th.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:38 am 

Motorcycle: 2008 Silver Rebel 250
State/Province: PA
I'm still in Athens, OH. After my salvation by Mark, we determined the crankcase oil seal had popped out. It appeared undamaged and a replacement wasn't available in the area, so we put it back in. It has held up well so far throughout various test rides in the area.

After much prodding by my sister I left Mark's Monday evening to visit a friend of hers in the area, who convinced me to stay another day as he had the day off to give me a tour of the area. Heading back this morning, will post again after I get home, or if something happens en-route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:47 am 

Lexiyntax wrote:
I'm still in Athens, OH. After my salvation by Mark, we determined the crankcase oil seal had popped out. It appeared undamaged and a replacement wasn't available in the area, so we put it back in.

Do you mean the seal behind the primary sprocket? That happened on my Rebel too. When I pulled the cover and sprocket, I found that I could just push it in with my fingers. It was too loose!

So, I drained the oil (never hurts to change the oil), cleaned the seal and seat with acetone, glooped a bunch of red Loctite on the seal and seat, and lightly tapped it in using a piece of tubing I found laying around. Then I let her sit for a couple days, replaced the oil, chain, sprocket, and cover, and rode it like I stole it! Never had any more leaks.

Bighillwill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:23 am 

Tiercel wrote:
I made it back home (finally). Saw Columbus and stayed the night on Sunday. Was on my way home and just happened (honest!) to pass by the Motorcycle Hall of Fame

Sure, yeah, we believe you. Happens all the time. No, really! It does! Ask anyone!

Glad you could make it, and well met.

Bighillwill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next