It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Ohio Rebel Rally - Lake Hope Sept.7-9
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 am 

State/Province: SC
City: Mid South Of
Missed ya, David!

Every time I heard the sound of an incoming solo bike, hope would rise, and I would think, "Is that David, Matt, Ike?" (I learned others shared this hope too)

One of those solo bike sounds turned out to be Bob .. who wasn't expected because he had cancelled. I nearly jumped on him, crushing him in a hug. Well, I DID jump on him. Poor guy. But I was so-o-o happy to see him.

Then, I kept my ear open for other solo bikes .. which never came.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 am 

City: Alongside Sw
Bob is back home in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Everyone is accounted for.

We'll get to posting pictures soon. Out of over a 100 pictures taken, maybe 10 are useable. Where did all that smoke come from?

Hope others did better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:34 am 

Motorcycle: 2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
Rebel: None
State/Province: GA
City: Gwinnett County
Here are a couple of mine:

SW was too close to the fire:

Jim W. on a HARLEY!!!!!

Thursday Hamburgers!

Friday Night Chili

Road Captain & 1st Officer; SCRC Chapter 09

IMPERIAL RED/BLACK 2010 Kaw Vulcan Voyager 1700

RED/TITANIUM 2009 Kaw Vulcan 900 LT (18,500 miles)

RED 2009 Kaw Vulcan EN500C (9,000 miles)

BLACK 2005 Rebel (2,000 miles)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:40 am 

And here's one of Jim trying to pretend he didn't just get off that HD in front of him:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
The main thing is riding a bike that you enjoy. Brand isn't important, riding pleasure is important.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:36 am 

Motorcycle: 2008 Silver Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: PA
Bighillwill wrote:
Do you mean the seal behind the primary sprocket? That happened on my Rebel too. When I pulled the cover and sprocket, I found that I could just push it in with my fingers. It was too loose!

It was indeed the same problem. There is nothing keeping the seal there but a pressure fit. They even included a convenient weep hole at the bottom so one can tell when this seal is out of position by the oil running out the bottom, along the cables on the bottom of the bike and onto the rear tire. They must have had a reason for this design, which seems stupid on the surface; is this meant as an emergency pressure relief point perhaps?

Regardless, I'm home now, just pushing that seal firmly back into place held up well on the trip home. And now I have a better idea of what tools to carry next year. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:02 am 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
Sorry SW, I was planning on leaving Friday and riding up to Ohio, then the wife told me she bought tickets for a Friday excursion out into the Gulf on a skiff (boat). She usually doesnt go in for that kind of thing, so I was a good husband and stayed for the Friday excursion.
Sorry you and rw cant make it up to Cumberland Gap meet. :-(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 pm 

Motorcycle: 2002 V Star 650 Custom
Rebel: 450
State/Province: OH
City: Albany
I have some pics...but it never seems to be enough. I feel like I should have taken more, but I get sidetracked by all the fun (and talking and eating!)

http://s634.photobucket.com/albums/uu62/tigerlily_album/2012%20Ohio%20Rebel%20Rally%20%20Lake%20Hope/

Therapy Is Expensive...Wind is Cheap!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:37 am 

City: Mid South Of
I still haven't gotten over the amount of desserts/goodies that showed up. When I sent out
my plea .. I really thought it was too late, and no one would have the time.

- Becca/Greg showed up with a sack of brownie bits and some other kind of cake-like creation.
I don't remember what the "other" was because I dove into the brownie bits which took care
of my sweet tooth, for about .. uh .. another half hour.

- Pat came with 6 pecan pies she'd baked. 6 !!!

- Marie baked a variety of cookies (she makes great cookies!) which filled 4 gallon-sized
plastic bags. My hand must know how good her cookies are because I watched it, several
times, sneak across the table to snitch one.

- Lisa demonstrated her talent at fireside with marshmallows & graham crackers .. and we
watched Maverick take his first taste of S'mores.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:42 am 

Motorcycle: 2008
Rebel: 250
State/Province: Oh
City: Mentor
tigerlily wrote:
I have some pics...but it never seems to be enough. I feel like I should have taken more, but I get sidetracked by all the fun (and talking and eating!)

http://s634.photobucket.com/albums/uu62/tigerlily_album/2012%20Ohio%20Rebel%20Rally%20%20Lake%20Hope/

Great pics Stef. Wish I was there to see the Bonnie and the TU. Both of which I really like.

2008 Rebel 250 "Piglet"
1982 GL500i "Grand Old Gal"
1974 CB750 "La Cabrona"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:53 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

State/Province: MD
City: Woodsboro
Hey everyone. I apologize for not checking in earlier! I haven't been online much lately and forgot to stop by and post a few words!

Cagie and I had a pretty uneventful ride home. One of my 4 carbs had a bit of a problem every now and then, I managed to make it home without any difficulties. The ride home was really nice. The weather was great, warm and enjoyable. Couldn't have asked for a better trip!

At the rally I really enjoyed myself! It was really great to be able to get out. It's the longest trip I've been on since my knee surgery. I was really happy to see the regulars at the rally, TigerLilly, RW, SW, Servergoon, Cagie, Jim... There's several more and I hope you don't think I'm skipping you. I want to thank you all for being there again!

It was really nice meeting the new people along with the people who attended last year too since I was unable to be there last year. This trip really is the highlight of my riding season. I'm glad the rain only happened at night and cleared up during the day. The food was outstanding. I don't know why, but I think I enjoyed it more than previous years.

I'm sorry I didn't get to take the Saturday ride as the bike was acting up again. But, after a little work on it Saturday morning I did manage to get out on my own and log about 40 miles on various roads. The funnest part was when I ended up on a dirt road through a turkey reservation. Let me tell ya, a Goldwing with street tires does not an off-road bike make! It was a bit dicy going up and down the dirt hills as they were very wet and muddy. But all worked out OK and I made it safe past hunters, pickups and turkeys!

Bob and Colonel Sanders really enjoyed the ride too. Now that Bob is out with Buickguy it appears he's have a great time! He really loves the road.

I truly am already waiting for next year's rally!! I don't think it can come quick enough!

Cheers all!!!

1986 Honda CMX450C - Jola
1978 Honda GL1000 - Piper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:55 am 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
City: Marietta
I wish I could say the entire trip was uneventful... about Gettysburg I started to hear a metallic rattle. Made it home but it really had me bugged. Now I find that my cam chain, sprocket and adjuster are toast. Parts are over $300, then add the labor. Might be retiring the Rebel and moving on. Found a 2000 V-Star that I am seriously considering. Will still have the Pygmy Pony as my "toy"...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:40 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

State/Province: MD
City: Woodsboro
Oh, my! That's dreadful!!! VStar sounds good through!!! I've been considering that. Just have to get my wife's permission (after I buy it! LOL )

1986 Honda CMX450C - Jola
1978 Honda GL1000 - Piper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:32 am 

If you are looking at something a little more modern that has almost the same handling and acceleration characteristics as the 450, I highly recommend you take a look at some of the used Vulcan 500's out there. Parallel twin engine, 6 speed tranny, and plenty of power for one-up riding. The only reason I traded mine in was the fact that my wife decided she liked riding too, and nobody makes a comfortable back seat for the 500.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/3284967309.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:12 am 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
City: Marietta
I did have a chance to take the V-Star out for an extended test ride last night (unusual for someone selling to allow that, but this guy was great!). The bike handles beautifully, mechanically sound and looks decent. Needs a little touch up here and there, but it's one that I would feel comfortable to take long distance, which is the type of riding I like to do anyway. :bounce1:

As for the wife's permission, after explaining the parts issue she agreed that the 450 was probably not the right bike. Besides, a larger more comfortable bike might get her interested in going along occasionally...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:06 pm 

paultjack wrote:
Oh, my! That's dreadful!!! VStar sounds good through!!! I've been considering that. Just have to get my wife's permission (after I buy it! LOL )

Personally, I find that it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission! LOL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:10 pm 

cagie wrote:
I wish I could say the entire trip was uneventful... about Gettysburg I started to hear a metallic rattle. Made it home but it really had me bugged. Now I find that my cam chain, sprocket and adjuster are toast. Parts are over $300, then add the labor. Might be retiring the Rebel and moving on. Found a 2000 V-Star that I am seriously considering. Will still have the Pygmy Pony as my "toy"...

Sorry to hear that your 450 is about to kick the bucket :-( So far mine's doing well, but then I really do ride my V Star more often so the Rebel gets a break.

I think you will really like the V Star 650. I even haul my 19 year old son around on the back of mine so riding two up isn't a problem either. AND it's pretty easy to find accessories that actually FIT the bike...a nice bonus if you ask me. Although I will probably never sell my 450 Rebel, my son may learn to ride on it. Hopefully it survives HIM! LOL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:13 pm 

State/Province: MS
City: Gulf
cagie wrote:

Dang, Cagie!

First steering head bearings, then wheel bearings, now this! And of course who knows what else is lurking in the wings. Glad you made it home!

It's too bad to see such a rare classic as the Pygmy Pony starting to go down like that. Sounds like it's getting about time to let her relax and stroll among the dental floss bushes. Happens to the best of us.

Good luck on finding a nice ride! They're out there!

Will

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17