It is currently Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lake Hope 2011 Sept. 15-18
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:53 am 

State/Province: SC
City: Mid South Of
Having trouble with Photobucket. Have had 4 pictures to upload since yesterday. Trying to figure out our problem.
-------------

Bananas. The word for me today. And what to do with them. I've already made & frozen banana pancakes. Since this is a favorite for us .. looks like I'll be doing that again today.

Fireside Banana Splits did not happen Saturday night. Everyone was stuffed. Not a single person seemed able to take in another bite, much less a banana filled with chocolate and marshmallows and covered with a variety of toppings.

Although others were encouraged to take a banana at breakfasts & other times, the baggie omelets, pancakes w/ sausages, & sausage balls seemed to hold everyone for a long while.

Others had also brought bananas. Sunday morning pack-up was pure craziness in trying to get bananas (and other food & supplies) to their rightful owners or to anybody who was willing to relieve us of stuff. We had so much FOOD there! And VARIETY!

Everyone with a vehicle used the opportunity to bring food and supplies and food-preparing equipment. And we had several vehicles at this rally .. Tigerlily and ServerGoon, AtlAggie and Becca, Logan and Pat, RW and SW, Phil & Lisa. Vehicles also hauled firewood, chairs, tables, tools and of course, my stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:32 pm 

MARSHMALLOWS. How did we end up with so many marshmallows? What am I going to do with them? Must have ended up with tigerlily's s'mores supplies .. and Lisa's roasting mallows.

While on a trip, RW & I have a habit of making a list of our "needs-computer-research" ideas, words, places, etc. We do not travel with a computer. This list ends up in a folder which contains rally info, rally maps, reservations, food lists, riding gear lists .. and the folder itself sits in a 2' foot bag that's placed directly behind & between the space of the 2 front seats. For easy access. This bag holds our audio books, eyeglass cleaner, state maps, camera, and whatever item{s} we want to get to quickly.

RW just looked for this list. Came up with a chocolate cookie with nuts. He ate that. Also a small snack-size plastic bag of pretzels. Placed this on the computer desk for later consumption. He snuck a handful out of cagie's 2 HUGE containers of pretzels.

CAGIE .. send us your physical address via email. or phone.

I have the fabric bag (a very nice one that looks as though it was meant for helmets) that you carried the pretzel jars in. Also, RW is intending to send you a valve of sorts that you are having trouble finding. ?? I don't know what he's talking about .. but no need for me to know. I just need your address.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:33 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Willoughby
You two are leading the life that I wish that I could lead. Traveling at your leisure, meeting new friends and hanging out with old ones...I'm envious. I only get to do it for one or two weekends a summer.

Looks like we picked the right weekend. This weekend looks pretty dumpy up here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:25 am 

Some close-ups ..

stevenmrvl .. who somehow turned a 6.5 hr ride into a 10.5 ride .. between TN and Lake Hope .. by following Jim's directions. (he was still smiling when we caught up with him at the cabins)

ServerGoon, AtlAggie, Tigerlily w/ Logan & Pat's newly-designed trailer that he had built. It's a tandem axle dovetail. (like I know what that means)

David, ServerGoon's brother, with wife Debbie. David helped plan the route and covered the rear of Saturday's ride. Caught Debbie sneaking in a big pot of something for Saturday's campside meal .. but I was already heavily involved in plowing my way through the food in front of me. Just realized, here's another vehicle that brought stuff. Bet some of the camp forks came from them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:31 am 

Food-handling Gloves

Becca is kneading the ingredients for sausage balls.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:22 pm 

Just read an article in Nov, Issue of Rider.
Its about the areas we rode in Ohio at the lake hope meet. Pick up a copy if you can you,ll like it.
One place we missed an was real close is the Lunch Box
Cafe, in New Plymouth, on 56 just north of Lake Hope.
over 500 lunch boxes like you used to take yours in to scholl in the 70s.
Also like to check out Burr Oak state Park, article says
it were all the bikers stay when riding the area !!!
Jim Wilson in TN.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:50 am 

Whoops found out why we dont use Burr Oak Park Cabins. Twice as much as Lake Hope !!
That word < Burr > bothers me also, !!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:47 pm 

I may be responsible for the idea of moving this rally to another place, state, park, time, etc.

What was I thinking!

The Location & Time of year are reasons for these Lake Hope rallies being so successful. We almost have the roads to ourselves. And what great roads to ride. The summer crowds are gone. The cool evenings are perfect for campfires, hotdogs, and marshmallows. The cabins give us everything we need and more. Very reasonable too. And how many, have said they would love to come back to the cabins .. even without a rally?

I WITHDRAW my suggestion to change from Lake Hope. Maybe up the dates, a weekend earlier.

What was I thinking? That some are unable to make it because of the location and time of year.

I apparently haven't been thinking at all. As much as we try, we can't make it perfect for everyone to attend. Hopefully, another group will do their own "Lake Hope Rally" in another state, at another time? It's great fun, guys & gals. Ask anyone who's attended the previous three rallies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:56 pm 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WV
City: Brandywine
I hope I can make it next year (likely, because I'll probably get laid off around this time next year lol). It looks like y'all had lots of fun!

1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2005 Honda Rebel 250

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:59 pm 

Most of the time, pictures just reflect a snippet of what's actually there. What's going on when the picture was snapped is not always apparent.

1. Food-handling Gloves

Becca is in her robe. A decent, non-revealing robe, that seemed to set the tone of comfort, hominess to the cabin kitchen. A sit-back-and-relax feel. Like being in your own kitchen. Before her are containers/packages of ingredients for the baggie omelets.

Someone already got into these containers. We later chop more veggies, filled the cheeses in prep for the next morning.

The plate of burnt meat? .. half a ham, also half a spam .. that's brown sugar and pineapple. Leftovers from Thursday's meal. These were combined, chopped and placed in the same container. Didn't want them to go to waste. Received some complements on their combined tastiness.

2. Friday Breakfast

I had the recipe, the ingredients, the supplies .. BUT had no idea how this was going to work with a large crowd. We needed some practice and testing. Jim to the rescue. He is the one to count on whenever it has anything to do with food. (did he say earlier that he had 6 of these?)

Okay. Put 2 eggs in the bag, squoosh them, add your ingredients, seal the bag, here's a marker for putting your initials on the upper part of the bag. The part that sticks out of the water. Mark it with the time you're putting it in the boiling water. Use the time on the stove even tho it's wrong.

Nine minutese later, Jim comes back with "looks like 9 minutes, not 13". He squishes the bag with the tongs, "oops, it's runny on the inside. Maybe 13 minutes is right".

This is going to work.

3. Hatchet Man

Yep, hatchetman is Steve. He was the one who kept the fire going .. but this particular morning .. it took a while to get a good fire going. One good enough to give us boiling water. The reason "testing" was done on the stove inside instead of the campfire.

It must have been "just right" for AtlAggie to prepare his omelet inside, then cook it outside.

There were many comments on "expected the bags to melt .. burn ..". They worked remarkably well. They were heavy-duty plastic bags. We-e-ll .. they worked well for everyone but RW. He was the ONLY one who had egg-drop soup. It seems that he forgot to replenish the water level, and his bag fell against the side .. so burned a hole in the side.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:39 am 

City: Alongside Sw
PerfectStranger wrote:
You two are leading the life that I wish that I could lead. Traveling at your leisure, meeting new friends and hanging out with old ones...I'm envious. I only get to do it for one or two weekends a summer.

SW is old.

So we no longer have responsibilities like younger people. Mortgage, kids, etc.

Though we have few responsibilities .. we are still responsible people.

I try to save money. SW saves Stuff.

I do worry about her expanding unicorn tattoo .. and the hair growing out of my ears .. but neither interferes with us enjoying life.

The trade-off, Matt .. is your youth versus our age.

We are truly at the stage of life where we can say,

"Been there. Done that."

A possible difference between us and the average mature couple might be our tendency to add to the statement ..

"that was fun. Let's do it again."

(so .. when do we ride together again?)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
R.W., that obviously leads to the question of when will y'all be in the southwest again.

Something like the Sidewinder 400 again? How about it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:09 pm 

City: Alongside Sw
Earlier this year, I'd thought about doing the AZ Sidewinder/NM Mule Creek run on the 1st or 2nd week of October.

It was SW's whining that got me started .. after we failed to meet up with you, Purpleazfrog, and LeatherNeck in February during the Las Vegas rally. For someone who says she doesn't whine .. she did a real good job this time.

Other obligations, the AZ fires, put off planning. Now it's too late.

How about next year .. 2012

We'll take this discussion to a new Sidewinder 2012 thread. Whoever begins the thread HAS TO post that lead-in picture of the original Sidewinder 400 thread. Just looking at that picture makes me want to drag motorcycles & SW in your direction, NOW. But, we have other obligations. And SW insists there is no Sidewinder without you three.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:47 am 

Motorcycle: C90 Boulevard
Rebel: 450
City: Albany
S_W wrote:
I may be responsible for the idea of moving this rally to another place, state, park, time, etc.

What was I thinking!

I can't let you take all the blame, I think I mentioned it as well (actually, I think I may have brought it up originally). When we were scoping out the ride, we swung through the area with the cabins and I thought "hey, these look a lot like the ones at Lake Hope and they are right on 78!" I hadn't had a chance to check out the prices, so thanks Jim, that solved that problem.

I'm happy with the cabins at Lake Hope and I really like 278 that runs out that way, nice smooth road and curves to go with it. My goal is to make sure people get to see something a bit different every year or every other year while still getting in a favorite or two. Of course, for me, while I like riding, I also like the talking, the campfire, the food and the general feeling of kinship that comes with hanging out with everyone that shows up... Did I mention the food? :D

--ServerGoon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:57 am 

Matt, remember coming out to the porch where I was sitting at the jigsaw puzzle and asking if I had a book to recommend?

I'd drawn a blank on the title of the book I was reading .. also the audio book that RW & I had been listening to, on the way there. Both decent. Forget those, have I got a book for you!

HIGH CITADEL by Desmond Bagley.

A plane is hijacked, forced to land in the middle of the Andes. A political figure, one of 10 passengers from the plane, is being hunted by heavily-armed soldiers. The passengers and pilot must fight for their lives with primitive weapons.

I've never read this author before. He is no longer alive. Has written 16 books .. and I've already decided .. I'm reading the other 15!

I don't want to put this book down! Yet, I have to get some bills paid. RW wants to get a flu shot today. We need a few essentials from the grocery store. I don't want to quit reading!!!

RW has given me space. He wants to read it as soon as I'm done. I could test his patience by saying I need to paint my toenails or something like that, first, .. but I'm afraid he'd grab hold of the book himself. Then I'd have to be the one waiting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:26 pm 

State/Province: MS
City: Gulf
S_W wrote:
3. Hatchet Man

Yep, hatchetman is Steve. He was the one who kept the fire going .. but this particular morning .. it took a while to get a good fire going. One good enough to give us boiling water. The reason "testing" was done on the stove inside instead of the camfire.

Hello Steve

You've had prior experience with non-flammable firewood. What gives? rofl At least this time you had a hatchet! I guess that's progress!

Man I would have liked to attend. I'm really glad you all had a good time. I have high hopes for next year.

Will

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:10 pm 

Motorcycle: 09 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
State/Province: TN
City: Maryville
Bighillwill wrote:
S_W wrote:
3. Hatchet Man Hi Will, sure did make things easier with that hatchet, no doubt, as for next year, if the rally is a go for up here again, you are more than welcome to stop here for a layover, then to continue on, and same for the ride back!

Yep, hatchetman is Steve. He was the one who kept the fire going .. but this particular morning .. it took a while to get a good fire going. One good enough to give us boiling water. The reason "testing" was done on the stove inside instead of the camfire.

Hello Steve

You've had prior experience with non-flammable firewood. What gives? rofl At least this time you had a hatchet! I guess that's progress!

Man I would have liked to attend. I'm really glad you all had a good time. I have high hopes for next year.

Will

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:41 pm 

Motorcycle: 2002 V Star 650 Custom
Rebel: 450
City: Albany
Hey all! It's been awhile...are you ready for the Fourth Annual Ohio Rebel Rally?

I'm thinking of having it the second or third weekend in September (which would be 9/7 thru 9/9 ~ OR ~ 9/14 thru 9/16). Although the first dates would probably work better for me. There's a Covered Bridge Run here in the area that I would like to participate in on the 15th.

Thoughts?

Therapy Is Expensive...Wind is Cheap!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:17 pm 

Put in 2 votes for the first choice of 9/7 - 9/9.

The weekend before is Labor Day Weekend. The weekend after is the Covered Bridge Run. Could be another weekend where we have the roads pretty much to ourselves again.

We have the 2nd choice open too .. but it wouldn't make sense to have a ride without the hostess who brings the deer chili.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:01 am 

Motorcycle: 2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
State/Province: GA
City: Gwinnett County
Becca and I are fine with either weekend. Just let us know.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Tigerlilly. :wavey1:

Road Captain & 1st Officer; SCRC Chapter 09

IMPERIAL RED/BLACK 2010 Kaw Vulcan Voyager 1700

RED/TITANIUM 2009 Kaw Vulcan 900 LT (18,500 miles)

RED 2009 Kaw Vulcan EN500C (9,000 miles)

BLACK 2005 Rebel (2,000 miles)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next