It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Bob: Bear on a Bike
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:50 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
This thread has been created on Paultjack's behalf so that he and any participants can work out logistics, make plans, track progress, etc.

A Sign Up Thread for this "one at a time" rally can be found here:

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/view ... hp?t=17878

Bob's trip will be described in a Memorable Rides thread, which can be found here:

It will remain locked until Bob's journey begins.

For the rest of this, it's all on Paul ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:11 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: Suzuki SV650, Suzuki DR200
Rebel: None
State/Province: OR
City: Corvallis
Is there a thread or post with some background on what this is about? Please hit me with a clue-by-four!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:45 pm 

State/Province: GA
City: Covington
Yeah, what she said.

:bikerthumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:49 am 

Rebel: 450
State/Province: AL
City: Magnolia Springs
tbolt wrote:
Is there a thread or post with some background on what this is about? Please hit me with a clue-by-four!

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/view ... sc&start=0

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:10 am 
Librarian
Librarian

State/Province: MD
City: Woodsboro
LOL I just signed on and wrote Duke I was going to create a FAQ/RULES posting describing exactly what you're asking. Now I see he's gotten the ball rolling! Good Job Duke...

Well, Until I get the chance to put that together here's what's going on to catch you all up.

The BOB Patches have been ordered! Working through the order process took a little longer than I expected but it's done and the patches should be here within 2 weeks. So, by the 16 we should have patches!

BOB's been sitting here looking pretty sad. He has no stuffing! So he needs these patches! I'm going to include a small journal to travel along with BOB. Feel free to sign it and add a few words. It's going to be small so keep it brief!

BOB Won't be able to contain all the patches at one time. So, I'll put about 10-20 patches in him. As he empties the current holder can contact me and I'll mail out additional patches to stuff him up again.

Financals. This is the part I don't like to discuss. This is a big investment out of my pocket for an extended period of time. I want to thank my wife for allowing me to do this in the midst of family financal troubles. Not to get into details, just know that I am not only meeting my expenses, but those of my own mother and my mother-in-law. Frankly, I'm tapped out in a big way and putting up the funds for this has not been easy and means giving up things on my part. OK, now that that's out of the way... I need a good solid comitment for 30 patches to be bought for me to break even. After that we're into the Donation Zone! Price for the patches is going to be $7 each.

Payment. I'll be posting my mailing address you can use to send checks/money orders. Come on people, it's only $7 a patch. Don't send me a check if you do not have the funds. I'd rather you just stole the patch than to steal the patch and send me a bouncing check. You do this and I'll have to hunt you down... Aditionally, I'll set up a paypal account where you can send your money using direct transfer or credit card.

Since the patches will come in just before Thanksgiving and thus nearing the end of the year I want to get things going as quickly as possible.

So, that's just a quick update until I can pull the details together and put it in a reasonable format.

I know I won't get things perfect. I just ask that you all bare with me and suffer through this a little as I work out the details. I'm sure most of you have better ideas on how to run this. Chill. You can create your own BOB event and show us how great you are. Just don't get too excited or angry over the way things for this event are run. I really do have a hectic schedule and this really has become something way beyond what I had orignally intended. I'm a simple guy, I like simple things and pulling this together is going to be complex. But, if we all just keep our cool, expect troubles in the way and work through the problems this will be a really fun event. If things don't go the way you expect just relax and enjoy the show.

OK, that's it for now... I'll get the FAQ put together by the end of the weekend... Until then feel free to armchair quarterback. I may just use some of your suggestions.

Cheers!

1986 Honda CMX450C - Jola
1978 Honda GL1000 - Piper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:55 pm 

State/Province: PA
City: Bethel Park
I'm ready to sign up but need a couple of questions answered...Is this going to be able to run into the spring...riding is getting pretty cold up here??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:33 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

The time period for Bob is until December 31, 2009. So, Bob will be around for a good long time! This is reflected as 2008-2009 on the Patch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:00 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

State/Province: MN
City: Brainerd
I'm wondering if I can help you with some sort of mapping thing to get folks somewhat connected. I will try to figure out a do-able way that doesn't involve purchasing a virtual push pin thingy.

Edit: I think I have something worked out on MSN maps.

Post subject: PAY PAL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:45 pm 

Hi maybe I'm missing something ?? email or paypal account info if you will send to my email
then I can send direct if that is alright with you. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:52 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

Gypsy, I don't think PaulTJack has the Bob The Bear Patch Account set up yet. Patience, my dear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:25 pm 

State/Province: MI
City: Wyandotte
Paul,

I understand the financial situation, especially in this economy. My sister lost her only means of income over 9 months ago and is living rent-free in my second home. However, just the added cost of utilities, food and such has also caused a huge dent in my disposable income.

Having said that, I am not hurting that bad were I could not make a small donation to assist you with purchasing the patches. If you could PM me, or discuss the exact financial expectations in the open, I would be more than happy to help divert some of the initial costs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:45 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

+1 to what Malindor said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

Thanks all for the offer for help purchasing the patches. Honestly, I'm not bad off. The real issue was that this month I needed to help both my parents and my wife's parents out financially to the tune of $1200. I have the money to pay for Bob Patches, it's just that the $1200 and the additional $171 for the patches combined to freak my wife. On top of this I was about 2" away from pressing the "Buy It Now" option on a Goldwing just now. I'm passing on the Goldwing for the moment. I'm selling off pieces of my beautiful CB450 this weekend. So, this alone will bring in a little over 1/2 the price of the patches. So, everything's good. I just have to chill my wife a little. To that end I changed a headlight in her van tonight in the dark and rain. She's cooling down a bit.

Wow, is this post all over the place? I think the meds for my neck are kicking in again!

I can't wait to get Bob on his Way!!! I finally received a rear sprocket that I've been waiting 6 weeks for! Turns out it's not the one I ordered. I ordered a 37 tooth, was told I would receive a 36 and finally received a 38. If I don't get any resolution by this weekend from the seller I'll just stick the 38 on the bike and be done with it. Then, I'm ready to take Bob out for a few rides around the area while he waits for his patches.

============================

For the Map location. I think I'm going to try out my Flickr Account. This allows me to create a set of photos and post their location on the map. Then, clicking on one of the map indicators brings you to the photo for that location. Additionally, there's a place with the photo for a description. This option sounds perfect for what I want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:50 am 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: 1985 Rebel 250 - 1999 ACE 750
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NY
City: New York
PM me the paypal address for ordering that patch from you. let me know the total plus shipping and handling.

I cant wait !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:38 am 

State/Province: MI
City: Wyandotte
Sent you a PM with my contact information; I really do not mind helping get this off the ground as I am really looking to make some friends on this board...

All of my current buddies are all off-road only and are terrified of the street, I think it would be really cool to meet some of you, even though we would only be able to ride on an occasional basis, since most of us live so far from one another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:47 am 
Librarian
Librarian

paul, I was thinking more in the line of helping people figure out where and who they'll be meeting with the bear, a push pin style thing to get a visual of where people are in relationship with each other.

I saw a couple on a bike this last weekend, the gal was carrying a bear. I wonder if they're involved in the same type of project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:59 am 

State/Province: PA
City: Bethel Park
Let me know the when and where of the paypal and I'm there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:48 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Same here with the Paypal info. I'd love to help out with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:41 pm 

State/Province: OK
I'm looking forward to this! You'll be able to count me in for buying one once it gets set up. I hope we get someone close by, so far Austin is it! And that's many hours away! Althoug I've never done a long ride, and I'm due for a vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:28 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

Come on, West Coasters! Don't let us down!

So, which direction are you planning on sending off our furry friend? I'm thinking if you stuck with the South, going west toward Arizona and California, then up to the PNW, and over to the Northern Plains and Midwest, Great Lakes, and Northeast, you'll be following the nice weather.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next