It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:51 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
See,

that's the weird part. I have no idea why that was so hillarious. I mean, the idea of taking shelter in an outhouse was-- well, it was horrifying, really. As loud as the storm was out in it, it must have been devastating inside that little fiberglass tomb. That young man probably thought the world was coming to an end!

Anyone who has never been in one can't appreciate enough the sensation of exposure and vulnerability, the total awareness of the flimsiness of the thing--

and the noise! Unbelievable! It's like being inside a kettle drum. To illustrate:

At work, we've got several guys who drive delivery trucks with building materials. We have one guy-- let's call him Young Mister Gray. No; that's too telling. We don't want anyone to know his name. Let's just call him Jeremy. At any rate, several of the guys were toting sheetrock on a job site when his "time of day" hit, and the only option was a rented outhouse.

Never go in an outhouse when you're surrounded by friends, folks. As soon as they heard the latch click, the rest of the guys very silently picked up cut boards, bits of debris, whatever. They surrounded the little cabin, and on a signal, everyone threw their particular bit.

"Jeremy" swears to this day that this _gave_ him diarrhea... No one can vouch for that, but most of them agree that he screams like a girl ;)

At any rate, thirty minutes or so after this young man had turned his collar up to hide his profile, sprinted stiff-legged to his catalogue custom and made tracks, we were almost done laughing and shuffled off to the bikes. I listened to the squishing of my boots-- which had managed to get topped back off during this squall.

The wind had dropped to the lightest of breeze-- it probably would have touselled our hair-- well, Howard's hair (he still has a head full. Jerk. ;) ) if it hadn't been plastered to our-- well, to their heads. (They've all got more than me. Jerks. :lol: ) The sun was out and the sky was a perfect cloudless blue, promising nothing but great times ahead.

And we fell for it. Stupid sky. :evil:

We headed out to the bikes-- Jerry and Howard had towels to wipe their seats. Jack and I didn't-- it's not something that has ever occurred to me. I sat on Jack's seat to dry it off, much to the amusement of the towel-totin' twins, then clambered aboard the Valkyrie. We were off to see what other things we'd been missing. Having traveled all the way over here expecting to find pretty much just farmland and maybe a heavy-equipment salvage yard, I'd already seen that we'd been missing quite a bit!

Howard led us further along, heading into thinner and thinner civilization. It occurred to me that we were getting further away from any place to buy dry shoes. As the sun burned down and we picked up momentum I started to dry out (except the boots). In fact, I was really starting to put the whole wet boots thing on the back burner when it started raining again. The devious sky was still crystal blue, though; the rain just couldn't miss an opportunity to spend time with us.

We were on a wide highway, and civilization was getting more densely packed with each mile. Apparently at some point we had swung around and were following the bay again. The rain got a bit heavier, just enough that it started to sting the cheeks a bit, so I reached back into my luggage and got my face wrap. Much better. It was like wrapping a damp sponge across my face. Yay, fun!

We slowed a bit, and as we were passing a shopping mall, Howard bore hard to the right. Finally! A stop where a man could buy some dry shoes! There was a stretch of highway that ran right in front of the mall-- almost as if they shared pavement from my perspective at the tail of the line.

And that's where Howard turned. Right onto that nice wide highway and kept right on rolling.

Okay. Ha ha; funny funny folks. Fine. We're headed toward town, anyway. And it's getting on toward meal-thirty, so we'll have to stop somewhere.

We shot up across a bridge that offered a really nice view-- nicely hidden behind the rain, and had to go all the way to the end of the bridge before the rain stopped, freeing the view for the folks behind us.

We headed back out into the country side, and eventually we stopped for a quick bite. I was relieved to discover that we'd stopped at a filling station-- and I would like to point out that it was a really nice one; it totally removed from my any pressure about selecting new shoes, what with them not being available at filling stations and all. ;)

[more to come]

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:57 pm 

Motorcycle: 87 Rebel 450
Rebel: 450
State/Province: FL
City: Oviedo
Is it time for the next installment yet? This is better reading than many of the mags. This and your stories of Papa Howard are truly classics! Please find time soon, your audience is waiting :notworthy:

:cheers:

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:16 pm 
Forum Administrator

I'll see what I can do--

I've got such a back-log of projects right now that half my PMs haven't even been answered yet... :(

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:24 pm 

State/Province: AL
City: Fairhope
Yaaaaaaaaa...can't wait to hear the rest...
I sewed my "Typhoon Tour" patch on my vest today...
looking forward to more of this fine tale...

greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:59 pm 
Forum Administrator

Oh, that reminds me:

I've got Jacks, and I've got mine.

I need pictures of Jerry's and Howard's patches sewn, taped, or held in the teeth.

Thought the gal who helped me designed them might like to see them being used ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:19 pm 
Forum Administrator

So far,

Me and Jack:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:59 pm 

Hey Duke.
Here is mine on my vest...

Love it !!!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:06 am 

State/Province: WI
City: Lake Mills
Duke:

Hilarious write-up! Thanks for sharing your talents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:17 am 
Forum Administrator

Okay, guys--

it's coming down by the bucketfull right now!

Who's ready for another go 'round?!

:mrgreen:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:11 pm 
Forum Administrator

There's snow and ice in New Orleans and related parts.

We could do a repeat: a sequel! The Glacier Gulf tour!

C'mon, guys! Who's ready?!

:D

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:52 pm 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Let's do this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:54 pm 

I'll join you guys as you come by the Mobile bay...

:bikerthumb:
greg

Post subject: Al, Magnolia Springs: Typhoon Tour
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:42 am 

City: Franklin
Just name the time and meet up place for I am ready at any time to ride anywhere!!

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:11 pm 
Forum Administrator

Still need shots from Jerry and Howard ;)

And of course, to finish this write up... :oops:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:22 pm 

City: Magnolia Springs
Duke wrote:
Still need shots from Jerry and Howard ;)

And of course, to finish this write up... :oops:

I don't remember takeing any pictures, do you? :?

Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:48 pm 
Forum Administrator

Pictures of your patch, Howard---

Deanna helped me with the design; she just wants to see them now that they've been distributed. ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:46 am 
Forum Administrator

Had a most amusing thing happen last night. I've already called my fellow perpetrators, but this is for everyone else who might enjoy a good laugh.

The family decided that, weather being what it was last night (and their steadfast refusal to eat my chili), they wanted to get Mexican take-out from a particularly good restaurant in town. So off I went to secure them a couple quarts of Flaming Anu-- uhm, "House Chicken Soup."

As I was waiting to place my order, a woman in the 'outgoing' line looked at me and asked "Is that your bike out there?"

"Yes, Ma'am; it is."

"You left the lights on."

"No, Ma'am; it's still running."

"Why would you leave it running?"

"For the heater."

She gave me an incredulous look. "Really? It's got a heater?"

"No; I'm kidding. I'm just going to place an order, then shoot across town, get me a cup of coffee from my favorite coffee joint, come back and grab the food and head back to the house."

She studied my jacket-- evidently she had eye problems, because I began to feel like maybe she was the deodorant inspector or something. At one point she had her nose about a foot from my Typhoon Tour patch. Then she backed up and blinked at me myopically. "Typhoon Tour."

"Yes. Ma'am." I said in a non-committal mumble, turning my attention back to the mini-menu in my hand (I don't eat "House Chicken Soup").

"Tell me about that."

So I drew a deep breath, and I did. I told her all about the race through the backwoods to make sure I didn't leave Jack waiting, about hooking up with Jerry, about the ink-black skyline when we put our gear on.

I told her about the indescribable volume of rain, the chill, the wind, the cars pulling off the roads.

I told her about the lightning, the cracker stop, the squishy boots, the laughter and the great time we had.

She was laughing, then shocked, then giggling, then her face got tight with worry, then she was laughing again--

and eventually it was my turn to order, and I cut myself off with "well, you have a good night, Ma'am."

Still giggling, she looked up at me and said "Mister, you tell one Hell of a good story."

"Uh, well, thank you, Ma'am."

"But I hope you don't expect me to believe that crap!" A fresh wave of laughter hit her again-- friendly, of course. "My husband's been riding a Harley himself for forty years, and he'll tell you in a minute that you just can't ride a bike that far, and that there ain't no way in the world you can ride a motorcycle in the rain, let alone the hurricane you're describing. But still, thank you for a great story. You should write a book or something."

I just smiled back, and friendly-like, I said "That's all right, Ma'am; it really doesn't matter one way or the other if _anyone_ believes it. I know that three of us went out, did something most sane people probably wouldn't, and had the time of our lives. But thank you; I might have to do that."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What I really need to do is finish this write up! :shock:

I just noticed that we haven't gotten home yet! :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:11 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 450 rebel
City: Daytona Beach
no comment on not being home...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:52 am 

City: Mt Plymouth/ Penna
typhoon tour - revisited

forum members uneasy rider, qutlass, gbrown6283, jack b.

forum members uneasy rider, mudbug42, gbrown6283, jack b.

the flora bama bar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:28 pm 
Forum Administrator

What?

No Gun Show from Qutlass?! :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next