Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:43 pm 

Motorcycle: 2006 Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Metro Atlanta
jack b. wrote:
typhoon tour - revisited

forum members uneasy rider, qutlass, gbrown6283, jack b.

Don't forget Bob! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:14 pm 

Rebel: 450
State/Province: MS
City: Decatur
What a picture. Now they know what we look like, too. I better grow my chin whiskers back. LOL
Drove through a monsoon to get there but arrived a lot drier than you guys on the first one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:46 pm 

State/Province: AL
City: Mobile
where were you master duke? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:05 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
City: Vidalia
I had class! I tried; believe me I tried!

Well okay, I had class, and I had a wife that works Thursday and Friday nights, and one weekend night every week, plus one more random shift during the week.

It makes it difficult to get away for things like that, what with being "the other baby sitter" and all ;)

But _man_ I wanted to be there!

For what it's worth, Jack and Howard both called me from the action, and I didn't hear P-Turkey from the rest of you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So does this mean I don't get an '09 patch, or what?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:30 pm 

I was wonder where you were, also. There was plenty of room for hiding in the port-o-johns ?

:rofl:

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:31 pm 

Patches ? No one told me 'bout no stickin' patches.

Mitch

Post subject: Re: Al, Magnolia Springs: Typhoon Tour
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:40 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
City: Vidalia
Better late than never, I suppose. :lol:

We spent one more (very wet) day with Howard and Jeanie and the killer parrot, but not as long as we would have liked, I'm afraid. We went to breakfast (though we never quite made it to "throwed roll" country, did we?) and toured about a few more places behind Howard, all of them just as gorgeous as the rest of the places we'd been. We took a late lunch at nice open-air place owned, Howard informed us, by Jimmy Buffet's sister, but for the life of me, I can no longer remember the name. (if you're wondering, that camera has never again shown itself, and has been replaced. I'm afraid all those great shots are lost. :( ).

We rode a bit more afterward, passing many, many fine places to buy dry boots, but never quite stopping. :lol: I did manage to collect one more bee sting, though, this time running down the road at fifty miles an hour! I had decided that the first bee that had stung me back in Vidalia had put up some sort of sign to let the other bees know just how much fun it was to inject me.

A late afternoon under the tin-top at Howard's found us stowing our gear and getting ready to depart the next morning. We stayed up a bit too late, swapping story after story and laughing all the while. There's really nothing in the world quite like it: being completely, totally out of your element, in a beautiful little secluded slice of paradise, hundreds of miles away from home, surrounded by some of the greatest people you have ever met.

As I'm writing this extremely-overdue update now, it occurs to me that while I still talk with Jack regularly, it's been roughly eight months since I've spoken to Howard or Jerry, and I've only spoken with Larry four or five times since this trip -- what-- three years ago? It's a shock, but it reminds me that I really need to pay attention to the rest of the world a bit more. :lol: And frankly, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat: good times and great company. It just doesn't get better than that.

The next morning, we were up early, and after a quick breakfast at Hardee's, we were on the road again. The sky looked threatening that morning, and we opted for some of our warmer bits of clothing, and kept the rain gear on top of the luggage, just in case. In keeping with our meteorological prognostications thus far, we succeeded mostly in making ourselves miserable. :lol:

The sky cleared in short order, and almost instantly the temperature jumped up to something not often seen outside of a potter's kiln. We rolled past a field that was filled with-- of all things-- abandoned port-a-potties. Shortly thereafter, we stopped for gas and a chance for Jack and I to shuck our jackets before we succeeded in melting ourselves. Jerry, ever the optimist, had left in just his jeans and T-shirt, figuring to throw on his rain gear only if the need arose. I wished mightily many times that I had followed that same tactic-- you know: the way I do every other day of my life! :rofl:

We pulled up to the pumps, and Jack beat us all to the joke we were dying to make:

"Did you see the Alabama storm shelter back there?" It had been burning in all our minds the second we spotted the hundred or so portable toilets scattered through the field. Even though we had _all_ thought it, hearing it out loud had us giggling like school girls. We pumped, and Jerry waited patiently while Jack and I stowed our gear.

Back on the road, there was no escape from the sun. If anything, it was even hotter, and I could _feel_ my flesh (already a nice shiny candy-apple shade) burn even deeper, and was fairly certain that it would split and fall away from the bone in ashen chunks before too much longer. By the time we made it back to a major city in Florida (was it Pensacola? I don't remember now.... ), I was fairly certain I could hear my skeletal DNA mutate.

We stopped for lunch in what _should_ have been the heat of the day, but honestly, there was just no way for it to be any hotter than it had been the entire return trip. What with the added humidity of the ground water from our first trip now being baked back into the air, I was fairly certain that seeking some sort of Christian salvation was the best possible thing I could do upon returning home. This had to be what Hell was like. If I'd seen a single bonfire, I probably would have repented right then and there. Or maybe just lay down in it, to cool off. I mean, it _had_ to be a drier heat, right?

We stopped for a bite at a place a bit nicer than I usually frequent, and I don't remember much about the food, but the air conditioning was _exquisite_. We talked about the trip in general, where we would part ways, but mostly we talked about the air conditioning and various schemes to bring it back with us. I wondered from time to time if I was the only one who could smell my boots, which I was pretty sure were beginning to rot right off of me. Even after this much wind and sun, I was _still_ leaving we footprints.

We didn't eat much, but we lingered a while, getting all the drink refills we could hold, and all of us pretending that we weren't hoping the sun would drop any second. Eventually, we had to accept that it wasn't going to get any cooler until sometime in January, and we headed out.

[more in another couple of years, I suspect]

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:22 am 

City: Franklin
Still the greatest ,most memorable trip I ever took!! If Duke ever printed the story somebody would make a movie about that trip ! LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 am 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
Rebel: None
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
gareb85: Jerry, glad to know you are still around. You still riding? Last summer, I rode down and visited the wife in Florida, rode HWY 27 out of Chattanooga all the way down. I thought of you as I rode past the Franklin exit. I spent the night in Columbus Georgia. I thought about calling but I had been riding since sunup and only had a couple of hours to sunset and had many more miles to go.
Hope is all is well