Post subject: Learning from others' mistakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:53 am 

Motorcycle: 2001 Honda Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: MN
City: Maplewood
This is a disturbing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LreWfR_ ... 1&index=24

Aside from whatever blame belongs on the car, I question the wisdom of attempting to pass two cars when you're already difficult to see by other cars.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Learning from others' mistakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:43 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Thoughts:
1. Car driver should be (apparently was) charged with two counts of aggrevated assault with a deadly weapon.
2. Motorcyclist should not have attempted to pass on a solid line
3. Motorcyclist and passenger should have been wearing more safety gear.
4. Motorcyclist should not have been driving at (what appears to be ) speeds in excess of the posted limit.

I have no moral high ground here, having done 2, 3 and 4. However, the penalty for any of those infractions should not be hospitalization or worse, particularly when inflicted by another, possibly on purpose.

Short version: Motorcyclist is, in part, author of his own misfortune. His passenger is blameless, except perhaps in the area of character judgement. The automobile operator is a dangerous, possibly angry person who should never drive again.
(just my opinion)
brent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
I pretty much agree with Brent's analysis. I saw this video a couple of days ago, and understand that the driver will be charged with 2 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon which is a very serious charge carrying what amounts to a life sentence for this guy . He richly deserves some prison time to contemplate what he did here, and which he had apparently done in a previous incident.
While its true that the bikes were probably in excess of the speed limit, at least while passing, and that they were passing on a double line, I'll also confess to doing the same thing quite often. the bottom line for me is did the bikers put themselves or others in danger by doing this? I don't think they did.

Since many motorcycles can out-accelerate even fairly fast cars, they can typically pass safely and be back in their own lane in many places where a car could not. (Maybe not the Rebel).

If there is a lesson for all of us in this, it is to be aware of the potential for sudden and irrational road rage on the part of drivers who are armed with a weapon and are in a position to hurt us.

Good practice when passing another vehicle is to position yourself to the extreme left side of your passing lane so that you will get as much warning as possible of any accidental or deliberate movement by the vehicle being passed into your lane. You also want to spend as little time as possible beside another vehicle so maximum acceleration is also a good idea to get the pass over with and get back into your own lane.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:39 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Analyses all spot-on.

I would only add that this video is _precisely_ the reason I do everything I can to discourage aggressive riding or rude behavior in general. You might not be putting anyone in any sort of danger at all, but you don't know what is going to set off _anyone_. Why do something irritating?

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."