It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Getting the traffic signal to acknowledge my presence
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:56 pm 
I've searched and not been lucky. Is there some trick I do not know or do I need to carry more weight or a super magnet, what? There are 2 lights on my favorite way to school that will not turn for me. They will cycle through and if I am in the front of the line of traffic, it skips right over us. If I am there alone, I'm skipped over.
I'm only afraid of running the lights because I live in Ferguson, MO and ever since we have become world famous, the natives no longer believe they are obligated by such mundane things as stopping at stop signs or for traffic signals. I'm really not concerned about the legal aspects, no one else is, why should I? I am only concerned about being smeared across the street by some cell phone gawking, one-finger steering, no brake maintaining, 24" wheel renting, rules no longer apply to me attitude having, ... driver.
So </rant>, back to my question, is there a trick or secret to getting the danged light to recognize me as a being needing a turn with the green? My only fix thus far is to go right on red and circumvent the light by going around the block (R, L, L, R). This would not be such a problem if the city of Ferguson could be bothered to maintain their sidestreets instead of leaving gaping wheel bending holes willy nilly and sometimes filling the entire beam of the road for 100's of feet at a time! Yes, its that bad in places. I am certain this had ruined the front suspension of both my folks' vehicles.
AARRGH! I can't stay on point. OK OK the light problem, Oh how I want her to notice me! Buy it a drink? Ask about her dog? I don't know....help!

Post subject: Re: Getting the traffic signal to acknowledge my presence
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:03 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Depends on your courage.

For the most part, there's a large induction loop under the pavement-- a poor metal detector of sorts, kind of like a loop antenna. Most of them, over the years, fall out of calibration or actually get breaks in them.

Sometimes they can be fixed-- call your city council and complain-- and sometimes they can't.

Two basic tricks that have worked well for me over the years:

I have a 500-pound pull magnet mounted at the lowest part of the bike. It's big; it's beefy; it's strong. It has reduced the number of red lights that don't see me on the bike. Nearly half -- but not quite half, I'm afraid-- of the lights that didn't see me before now register the bike.

For the ones that don't see me, there are three options: right turn (if you're intersection allows for legal right turns on red), pull up as close to the edge of the intersection as you can and wave to the car behind you to get right up on your fender so the loop reads his car (believe it or not, in most urban areas, the majority of drivers will readily understand what it is you are trying to do, and are surprisingly helpful: they don't want to be stuck there all day, either ; ) ), or run it.

I can't tell you which one is best; I can tell you that short of trading your bike in for dump truck filled with scrap iron, there is no trick or set of tricks that will make all lights register your presence. I can tell you which two are legal, but I'm sure you already know that. :)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:48 pm 
Duke, once again, thanks. I was only joking about the magnet, holy shmoly that really is a thing huh?
I've thought about the guy behind me thing but again, in my neck of the woods, we have new rules to contend with. For reasons that are beyond my comprehension, drivers have taken to stopping anywhere from 3-8 car lengths behind each other. I could understand this as a personal safety device, staying back far enough to either get around or turn around (ie get away from someone) but this is a wholly different affair. Yes, Ferguson has its very own set of traffic nuances that thrill and delight (read confuse and confound) newer motorcycle riders and/or visitors to our fair burg.
So I am left with running it. I am serious as a fart in church about people not stopping for stop signs anymore, traffic lights are just on a delay. One must be CERTAIN there are no further vehicles coming through the intersection. You got the yellow light folks then you have the people who just do not care and run the red, this happens consistently and predictably at every single traffic light intersection. So taking into account the no-stop stop signs and delayed intersection crossers, I guess I must belay my fear, look both ways and back again before crossing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:06 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Creston
My personal favorite thing to do is to look for the cuts in the pavement where the trigger wires run. When coming to a stop I make sure that my wheels are over top them when stopped. They don't always trigger, but 95% of the time or better you'll get a light change. When they don't, I do as Duke said, just waive the car behind you up closer and point to the pavement. When the pavement is freshly surfaced and you can't see where the wires run, I try to guess where they are and come to a stop there.

'07 Rebel 250
'00 Rebel 250
'86 Rebel 450

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:12 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
A lot of lights are now being controlled by video/cameras. I tend to wave my arms once I stop. That works on all but one, and I just run that without the turn arrow (T intersection; the left turn is the problem).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
A single 115 grain FMJ 9mm round can get rid of that pesky red light.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:00 pm 
All I have is 124 and 147 gr 9's, guess they'd work too huh? That would feel soooo good to do. I would never but man what a thought.
I'll look for the cuts in the road and do the funky chicken when I stop. Certainly one of these methods would work.
Let me ask this, what, if anything, do ya'll say to people that either do not see you, or do not care? Do you try and educate them or what and how? I got pulled in front of really badly today, so much that I ended up right outside the driver door when she merged fully. I threw my helmet up and yelled HI! HOW ARE YOU TODAY, NICE DAY FOR A RIDE ON MY !MOTORCYCLE!. then passed her and didn't look back. I was mad, for sure, as anyone cut off would be but being in a bike is doubly, quadruply scary when it happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
paved1 wrote:
Let me ask this, what, if anything, do ya'll say to people that either do not see you, or do not care? Do you try and educate them or what and how? I got pulled in front of really badly today, so much that I ended up right outside the driver door when she merged fully. I threw my helmet up and yelled HI! HOW ARE YOU TODAY, NICE DAY FOR A RIDE ON MY !MOTORCYCLE!. then passed her and didn't look back. I was mad, for sure, as anyone cut off would be but being in a bike is doubly, quadruply scary when it happens.

If I understand you, she merged into your lane from an on ramp and ended up beside you. Assuming she did take a look , she most likely did not see the motorcycle approaching, they often don't. There's a lot of obstructions inside a car and bikes are small. When driving my truck yesterday, I almost clipped a guy on a bicycle coming down the sidewalk toward a driveway I was pulling out of. He was coming from the right, and my wife had the visor down and between that, her sitting there and the doorposts I didn't see this bicycle coming. When I'm on my bicycle approaching a car about to pull out, I just assume he will not see me and stop or go behind him if I can't make eye contact after slowing down.
Its the same on a bike. If a car is entering on an on ramp in front of you, you can assume he doesn't know you're there and just get out of the way. Either speed up and squirt by ahead, or slow down and tuck in behind. No issue and no heartburn.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 pm 
Forum Administrator

paved1 wrote:
what, if anything, do ya'll say to people that either do not see you, or do not care?

Absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Do you try and educate them or what and how?

FIDO.

It can save your life. The reason more people don't FIDO is because they can't _see_ when it saves their lives. Not trying to pull numbers out of the air, but given the miles I've done in heavy traffic, and some of the situations through which I've ridden, I have absolutely _no_ doubt that it has saved mine numerous times.

Here's the basic problem:

The mythos of the motorcycle: the idea that this super-tough guy on a bike isn't going to take carp from any pond, and he's going to kick your door and follow you to your filling station and drag you out the window and whup's ya real guud.

And the number of people on motorcycles who think that other people are thinking that. And hey-- a half-a-percent of them might just be thinking that. Who knows?

But now let's look at facts:

A great deal of motorists are armed. It's funny how often even those who travel armed themselves don't consider the possibility that someone else might be. Like there's only one pistol in the whole country, right? :lol:

A great deal of them are unhinged. And again, even those who actually _are_ unhinged don't think that there is any chance some of the others might be.

Sad thing is, most people today are unhinged by entitlement and _don't even KNOW it_! How often has this gone through your mind or the mind of someone you know:
"That sad sack of so-and-so! I can't believe he did that to me! I'm going to teach him! He's going to respect me!" (sadly, it seems that almost no one today knows what respect means. It seems we've confused it with some kind of 'fear from a total stranger' and then made it more important than a good job or a healthy relationship. People are so freaking stupid anymore.)

Well guess what? That stems from a totally misplaced sense of entitlement. You or I or anyone else don't deserve the actual honest-to-goodness _respect_ of a total stranger, and we _certainly_ don't deserve their unreasoning fear. Frankly, it bothers me how often my appearance gives me that very thing. It's the reason I wear pink helmets: it makes me look less threatening.

But just like guns and lunacy, it _never_ seems to occur to the first guy that a hundred-thousand _other_ guys think that very same way, and that likely the guy you are going to 'teach' is just as dumb as the first guy is, and will do _nothing_ but escalate the situation. Good thing you've got a gun. You know-- because he's waiting for a reason to use _his_, too.

If you doubt any of this, jump to youTube and search "road rage." It's terrifying.

Now let's look at one simple piece of the law:

self-defense.

Now let's look at physics:

The heaviest motorcycle I have ever owned weighs just over half-a-ton when I am on it. The lightest truck I own weighs just over three tons, even when I am not inside it. The truck-- any car, really, is more stable in the hands of an unskilled person than is the bike. Bikes, after all, are controlled by directing their tendency to fall against the various forces imparted by momentum. In the hands of skilled people, most cars will be more stable than will most motorcycles.

When I am in my truck, I am protected by no less than three tons tons of steel cage, crumple zones, impact cushions, etc.

When I am on my motorcycle, there is two-hundred-and-fifty-odd pounds of meat and gristle and bone and a mere six pints of blood serving as protective device for my motorcycle. That is to say that _I_ am the crumple zone. In an impact, I will get thoroughly crushed before the bike takes so much as a scratch.

So here's the thing that I encourage you and everyone else to take away from this:

If I (and I am using myself as the sacrificial goat here; for the most part, I'm on a bike, too. I just don't want to keep typing long subjects to compose each sentence ;) ) happen to cut you off in traffic or miss you in the mirror in a merge, or come to close to you in a parking lot, it is almost _always_ an accident. Seriously. And keep in mind that you (again, I'm using the word 'you,' not actually borrowing you personally to be the bad guy) absolutely CANNOT tell if it wasn't because YOU CAN'T READ MINDS and YOU CAN'T READ HEARTS. You can _think_ you know what was on either of mine, but you can't actually know. And if you think that it wasn't an accident, statistically, you are less than one-thousandth of one percent likely to be right.

FIDO. It was a two-second nothing, and needs to stay that way. You'll both live longer.

Think you should press it more?

Let's do some not-math.

I'm driving along in my Leviathan, and I accidentally cut you off on your motorcycle. You're going to teach me to respect you and who knows what else. You're going to come up alongside the Leviathan and scream in the windows and yell a few obscenities. Fine. I'll ignore it until you feel better. Because FIDO, right?
That's not enough. You don't feel respected enough. You decide you're going to race back and forth at my tailgate. That's fine, too, because there's nothing you can hurt back there, and if impotent rage makes you happy, well then enjoy your anesthesia-free vasectomy. same thing, right? And oddly, it feels like it, too. Really! The two are just as satisfying.

Still don't feel respected? You decide to kick at my vehicle. I first watch to make sure you don't fall over. No kidding-- despite the number of times you hear this famous yarn around camp fires and at biker bars, it's extremely hard to do effectively without knocking yourself right onto the shiny side. But you make the effort.

At this point, it's clear to me that you are dangerous and are not going to back down. I will let you put another dent or two in the door simply so that I can justify the 'self defense' statement when I cut hard left and end you. It's really that simple. Seriously.

I know that there was a thing on the news just a few weeks back about someone who was chased by a bunch of jackasses on bikes, dragged from his car, and beaten to death. While it's horrible, it's also pointless. Some people are _too_ forgiving. Fortunately, the rest of you (again, not "you" specifically, okay? ;) ) are steadily driving that tendency from most of us. Especially in that situation: his family was in the car.

When you do something that comes off as an overt threat, the worst possible way to do it is from a motorcycle and toward a four-or-more wheeled vehicle. I can cut hard and run completely over you. I can stop just as hard as most of you can-- this always seems to surprise new bike riders: they fail to realize that without ABS, the simply don't have the skills to stop anywhere near the potential of their machines. And it's hard to find a four-wheeler today that doesn't have ABS. I can drift over and run you way further out into the ditch than you can survive. I promise I can. And I'm in a car: I'll probably be okay. I'll just slide back onto the pavement, roll a safe distance down the street, and call the police and a meat wagon for your remains. You can't power away, because I can snatch right into you before you get clear.

Now all this is what I would do if I were overtly threatened. Remember, I am very much a FIDO person. And remember that I typed all this explanation because the majority of the people you encounter are _not_ FIDO people. What is the point at which they will snap? What is the point at which the will yank a hard left and stand on the brakes while you stare into the grill of an oncoming log truck?

It's stupid. It's stupid to even consider. It's ugly enough car-to-car, but you'd have to be a whole new breed of stupid to even _consider_ it from a motorcycle.

FIDO. You'll live longer. I promise.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

Back when Jamie Elvidge was chief editor of Motorcycle Cruiser she actually advocated motorcycle vs cage road rage in one of her editorials. On top of everything else that was wrong with that rag, that was what convinced me to let my subscription expire.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:05 pm 
Wow, Duke, I've obviously touched on a nerve. You must enlighten me, what in THE world does FIDO mean? I've never heard that before.
I feel like I should explain the situation better, now, so that you better know what was in my head..

Imagine a fork in the road. Now imagine coming from the other end (already past the fork) back towards the fork, so yes its a merge situation on a side street. Somewhat not normal as this isn't a normal street layout (2 streets into 1).
I was coming from on the left about 35mph. Coming in from the right, where it comes in, has a stop sign, right before the merge. This lady decided to do a tap the brakes stop, possibly give a cursory glance, possibly not back up the hill to her left, the direction from which I was approaching.
Yes, I am hard headed sometimes but not in an eternal search for others "respect" or any desire to teach others some kind of lesson, I'm 42 and well over all that. I do how ever have a strong sense of acting right to keep the status quo of civilization (which has deteriorated quickly around here) ...I digress.
I could've slowed in anticipation of this lady not seeing me, I didn't. I should've I guess in hindsight, but I was on a side road at slower speeds, its a particularly wide road and I could see there was no one coming for 1000' +. So I kept my speed, didn't speed up or slow down, kept going as I had no yield, stop what ever signs. This lady came ahead and by the time she was fully in my lane, I was beside her, at her window.

No she didn't see me, you could call that an accident, I guess, but she didn't look. Or she didn't look well enough. This is what angered me, this is what I wanted her to understand. I feel like carrying a stack of the "Start seeing motorcycles" stickers and guerrilla sticking them on vehicles.
I guess I need to just get over it huh? I'm still new at this. I'm certain, as I type this, that this will continue and probably is the status quo.
I wish I could plop ya'll down into this traffic pattern for a few days, it really is maddening.
I'm sure whatever FIDO means, get over it and anticipate the worst, act before you must react is probably my own answer. I just thought there might be some ninja, jedi mind trick to make these cucumbers see us better, hoping really.

I was not carrying at the time but mostly I am and would never think to pull a gun in traffic, ever, even though I would love to shoot a red light. I know there are guns by the ton out there (esp in my neck of the woods, these days) I have no desire to ever get it out in public beyond the shooting range. I go enough and shoot enough to not have any longing desire to pull the trigger just to hear it go bang. The reason I carry is mostly active shooter situations. There was a quote in a John Wayne movie from a 1 armed man that carried 5 or 6 guns.. " I don't want to die from a lack of shooting back". Pretty much why I started to carry.
I will probably still get mad at being cut off but at least I can anticipate it and act accordingly. I know I am much more exposed, literally, on a bike, I just hate the new traffic "laws" of my subdivision.
Thanks for your answer Duke, no worries, I know none of it is any kind of personal attack at me, just shows you care man and I'm down with that. Please, please tell me what FIDO means...

PS If you want to google earth or google map it, it is where Wayside Dr. comes into Forestwood Dr. in Ferguson MO 63135. I was coming south on Forestwood, she was coming south on Wayside.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7462998 ... 6656?hl=en

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

paved1 wrote:
You must enlighten me, what in THE world does FIDO mean?

Forget It, Drive On

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

I think the key to mental health as well as physical health while riding, is to channel your energy into avoiding trouble with other drivers rather than assuming or asserting you ever have right of way over them. Of course there are times when you do have right of way , but you should always take it tentatively with the understanding that it may be revoked at any time.

There is no way any driver will ever look specifically for a motorcycle. They may look for other traffic, motorcycle, truck, car, bicycle, and if they don't see anything, they will proceed. You've been warned.. :D

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:13 pm 
Forum Administrator

paved1 wrote:
Wow, Duke, I've obviously touched on a nerve.

Eh. Yes and no, really. I'm naturally verbose; the problem is worse when typing.

As far as touching a nerve...

Well, many, many years ago, I was asked to help start a motorcycle training program for a small(ish) town that was getting four motorcycles for the police force. The program panned out, but the motor cops didn't: something came down that they couldn't have motor units because there was some legal reason at that time that the bikes the police force must use were a certain brand, and these bikes weren't. They were Kawasaki police units-- the type used on that old CHiPs TV show. I spent the next almost twenty years watching them rot into oblivion in a small fenced area behind the station. Evidently, the couldn't sell them, either: I tried several times to acquire one.

I was asked because I was already a part-time riding instructor for a local facility, but unlike the full-time trainer, I had a fair bit of racing experience as well as just riding. I also, up until just a very few years ago, offered my services as a riding instructor for a couple of local youth groups.

At any rate, the one thing I could count on hearing at least once a year-- there would be some idiot talking about how much tougher you were on a bike, and how you could just zip in and out and this and that-- and how traffic feared biker gangs because of how they would swarm and beat cars with chains, etc.

My method at the time of correcting this seriously flawed logic was to walk right past the mouthiest one and at the last instant grab him, roll him over my leg, and put him on his back. (I think I've mentioned before, I'm a pretty big boy. Before I crushed my spine, I was even bigger.) Not _throw_ him, but roll him off his feet an onto his back. Note that I did _not_ pin them in any way, save to keep my hands on them. I left them completely free to fight back. And most of them would. Yes; I took a few jaw shots for it, but hey-- when you've got a mug like mine, it can only help, right? :lol:

Usually, there would, after I let them go, be a follow up conversation that opened with something along the lines of (but never quite precisely ;) "what the heck was that for?!"

"I was on a motorcycle and decided to attack you."

"What, are you crazy?!"

"Why?"

"You left yourself open! I split your lip!" or "I could'a messed you up!"

"Yep. You fought back."

"Dang right I did!"

"What would you have done if you'd had a bat?"

"I don't know, but the way you scared me, I probably would'a beat your head in." This would either be all macho or rather sheepish, depending on the personality of the person I rolled.

"You fought back, and you would have fought back even harder if you had the ability."

"Of course I did!"

So if you'd been driving and I'd been on a bike, what would you have done?"

The conversation usually stopped right there. Sometimes a particularly thick person would bring up the idea of riding with several bikes, for safety, but you could tell that even as they were saying they were soaking in the reality of the idea.

It was at times like this that I really, _really_ thought that other nations have _way_ better concepts for driver training, particularly about having to prove some maturity and intelligence and a rudimentary understanding of the way that the universe works, at least locally.

When I was younger, I would do a few rallies, and my brothers and I just about lived in bars for a time. And it always came up. People on two wheels-- it's like there's a small percentage of them that seems to _need_ to believe that a motorcycle makes you some kind of superman. Not just young guys, either. Usually really stupid guys, but there's no age at which you're guaranteed to outgrow that. :(

And I've seen some folks-- not hundreds; not even a hundred-- perhaps a dozen over my 55 years of life-- who have tried it, and surprise, surprise-- it went down pretty much like you'd expect it to go down, if you had a lick of sense.

I have a brother locally (we haven't spoken in years, but I keep abreast of him. Even though we wrote him off a decade or so ago, he's still blood) with a series of pins in his leg, hip, and ankle from _exactly_ that kind of stupidity. Some one blew a stop sign and nearly clipped him in the middle of the night. He decided to give chase and pulled up beside them and started howling and threatening and chest beating---

And the snatched left and under the truck he went. Just that simple, just that easy.

Here's what he didn't know: the guy was fleeing a bar parking lot, in which he had just taken three shots at someone else after a heated argument and fist fight. This guy was already a psychological wreck, amped for violence, drunk (most likely, anyway), and who knows what else. Then some idiot on a motorcycle pulls up and starts pulling some stupid macho crap---

didn't go well for Thumper. Not one little bit.

Don't get me wrong-- that's actually not a touchstone for me. As I said, we wrote him off years ago, and let's face it: given the situation, he had it coming. It is entirely the result of his own actions. How can I say that?
Let's see.....

All of our lives, my family has ridden. My father, now in his seventies, has just given up last year. He no longer feels capable of hard panic maneuvers, and his leg is bad enough he has concerns about holding the bike up should he land wrong.

And all of our lives, it has been preached to us just how easy it is to let stupid things go, and how to ride safely. Is it possible to ride perfectly safely? Well, I started when I was seven. I'm fifty-five now. I've never had a wreck that wasn't related to racing or dirt bike riding. Not once. I have two brothers who can say -- well, one brother who can say the same. Mike died a few years ago, so we'll have to say it for him: he never had a wreck not related to dirt bike riding (he didn't ever try racing).

All of us understood that motorcycles are transportation; motorcycles are sport; motorcycles are just great. Just absolutely wonderful things to have in your lives. What they are _not_, however, is the Sword of Grayskull, and no matter how badly you want to be He-Man, owning one isn't going to do it for you.

Well, most of us got it. Not Thumper. We were reading Cycle and he was reading Easy Rider. Style over substance: develop a mystique, a culture-- and entire lifestyle-- with nothing more than a checkbook.

But even outside that, I _have_ seen roughly a hundred riders over my life with permanent physical issues resulting from motorcycle crashes (not related to road rage). Given the very real fact that injuries from motorcycle wrecks tend to be far more spectacular than comparable car accidents, it just seems to fly in the face of all good sense to actually go _looking_ for a free ambulance ride, doesn't it?

Quote:
You must enlighten me, what in THE world does FIDO mean? I've never heard that before.

Forget It; Drive On. I'm an old man, and that's been taught in every training class for as long as I can remember. A lot of people don't think training classes are important because they can figure it out for themselves. The fact of the matter is, however, that there is a lot more to successfully riding a motorcycle than just working the controls.

In Thumper's case, for example, the truck _nearly_ struck him. But it didn't. If he had forgotten it, that truck would have been completely out of eyeshot in a couple of seconds. But he couldn't forget it. Something too stupid to allow for rational thinking led him to enter a confrontation. What should have been a memory about two seconds long from a decade ago is now a "stiff-legged, hurts-when-it's-cold, Baby, have you seen my walker? I hurt too much for the cane" absolute fact of every second of every day of his life from the moment of the incident until the day he dies.

All because FIDO wasn't good enough.

But seriously Thumper's case is not a touchstone for me, beyond reminding me of just how cussed stupid he can be in the name of some fantasy lifestyle. Hard to live it now, though. Well, at least the riding part. That's out. He can still dress like he dove up a cow's colon, though. I guess that makes him happy.

Quote:
I feel like I should explain the situation better,

I'll give you a chance to recant that decision and will pull this description at your request if you are posting this prior to actually reading the Rules. Posting accident stories is _not_ against the rules; it is actually encouraged. They are wonderful learning opportunities. However, posting your accident _is_ explicit consent to have it analyzed and discussed and various actions critiqued. For some reason, people tend to get bent out of shape when they find out that they were in the wrong, even when they were _clearly_ in the wrong.

So give it a moment of thought, and if you want it pulled, I will pull it for you (providing that particular function of this board is still working, mind you).

Ironically, the situation you describe-- two-into-one, you on the right-of-way-- is _precisely_ the scenario where Thumper had his near miss that he then decided to remove the "near" from.

Quote:
I could've slowed in anticipation of this lady not seeing me, I didn't. I should've I guess in hindsight

This.

I am very, very happy to see this. You are completely right: you should have slowed more. Always slow more. The whole key is to _always_ assume that they don't see you, and act accordingly. Always. The fact of the matter is that, laws to the contrary not withstanding, the vast majority of motorcycle accidents can be laid directly on the pilot of the bike. Sucks, but it's the truth. People become complacent, and forget to act as though no one can see them. Riding a motorcycle in _any_ kind of traffic requires the ultimate in defensive driving, and you can _never_ waiver from it, not once.

Quote:
she didn't look. Or she didn't look well enough. This is what angered me

We all understand; we've all been there. What you have to ask yourself, though, is did it anger you enough to die for? Or to become crippled for? If it did, then react accordingly. If it did not, then react accordingly to that, too: FIDO.

Quote:
that this will continue and probably is the status quo.

As a 48-year veteran of two wheels-- and there are many here who have been at it longer than that-- let me tell you something that might actually help calm you a bit. It has nothing to do with whatever weirdness is going on in your little corner of the world. That has _always_, for as long as I can remember, been the status quo for motorcycles. Think about this:

How many times have you heard "I didn't see him" used and _accepted_ as a valid defense for doing something really, really stupid? Never mind that it's not accepted for running over small children and dogs; motorcycles have a definite bias against them in traffic court, and it's because, deep down inside, even the judges know that they themselves don't really think to look for them.

Quote:
I just thought there might be some ninja, jedi mind trick to make these cucumbers see us better

Ask yourself this:

How many times have seen or heard of cars running into _each other_ because "I didn't see him!"? Or running into larger cars? Or trees? Or houses? Or freakin' TRAINS, MAN?! TRAINS!

Do you really think that there is any hope of them seeing something that triggers "pedestrian" in the reticular activating system and then noting that it is not where a pedestrian belongs or moving at pedestrian speeds and reacting accordingly? No; it's just not going to happen. This is why it is _always_ up to the rider to keep that idea in his mind, and to ride at every moment like he full-well knows that no one else on this road or off it can see him, and they never will.

Once you get used to keeping that type of reaction style in the forefront of your mind, it's all gravy. :)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Duke you're saying what I'm trying to say, but in a much more entertaining way.. :cycle:

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:34 pm 
Forum Administrator

well, you what they say about blind hogs and acorns, right? :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 am 
Nope, keep it up there. I did that, that's what happened. I get what you're drilling in here, it's not worth it. Live on to comfortably ride into old age. Nothing is worth my health and safety.
Now, allow me to play Devils advocate momentarily. Only for debates sake, not saying anything you've said is wrong. Let me take it down another road.....
This same lady that looked up from her phone to see a motorcyclist in her window. Lets look at what I did (granted, I should've backed off and never been in that situation) I kept the pace at which I was riding, I didn't do anything crazy either speeding up or riding up her butt repeatedly. I didn't change mph by more than a couple either way which would naturally happen going down that small hill.

When she saw me, I didn't throw my fist at her and call her names, one could argue, I was polite. I was loud but that was because I was on a bike and she was in a SUV. I didn't call her names or be aggresive in any way. I made her aware 1. I was there 2. I was on a motorcycle and 3. by proximity, she had just made a driving mistake that quite possibly could have been fatal in any number of similar situations.

Ya, she could have had a gun but I gave her no cause to reach for it. I pulled in front of her to put an exclamation on my point. I didn't do anything else. I passed her, stayed well in front of her, stopped at the next stop sign and never looked back. At no point was I in any danger other than when she pushed me off my line and I ran wide which I had made sure earlier was clear as far as the eye could see which was long enough for me to do what I wanted and what I did.

Now, to what end, as innocuous as my actions and this entire transaction was, what purpose did any of it serve (keeping in mind I'm not respect fishing)? The entire time I was thinking (I realize now why I was mad) this could've been so much worse. I wasn't mad for me but I was mad for all of the motorcyclists this person had not and would continue to not see going forward.

What if, there was a slight chance by allowing her to get close by not anticipating her mistakes and acting accordingly (as we've all agreed, I should have) What if by appearing in her window, showing her how close she came to either hitting or driving a motorcycle off the road, what if she sees the next guy and not only that what if she suddenly has sight to see all of the motorcyclists going forward now because she knows to look for them because of that one time over on Wayside I almost hit that guy because I was looking at my phone and didn't really stop at that sign?

Maybe, just maybe if that is even a possibility, I ask; Is what I did that much of a breach? Again, in hindsight, I def. should've handled it differently, even if I wanted to bring it up to her, I could've found a safer way of doing it. But would that have been as effective? I don't know.

All that said, after asking and reading this, I will react differently starting tomorrow. I just wonder if that lady had any kind of epiphany, second thought, or even thought about it again ever after the fact. If she did, then was what I did was it worth it? Again, this is solely for arguments sake, its agreed that I should've slowed and found another way if I wanted to bring it up to her.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:13 am 
Forum Administrator

I understand where you're going with this. Seriously- I understood that from your first post.

Think about it like playing the lottery:

Most of the time, there's really nothing going to happen. Seriously. Most of the time you get a confused or irritated face; sometimes a sheepish pantomimed apology. Just like all those lotto tickets that fill gas station wastebaskets (and gas station windshield washing buckets. People are jerks.)

But that one time it pays off, it's going to change your life.

And yes: the magnet thing is a thing, but it has to be an exceptional magnet. The run of the mill speaker magnet isn't going to cut it, nor are those little "red light trigger" magnets you can find online or at your FLIBS or dealership.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Duke wrote:
well, you what they say about blind hogs and acorns, right? :lol:

ummmm no?

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:40 am 
Ya the lottery analogy makes sense. Pretty much hit it on the nose. And FYI I'm not a huge guy or light in the loafers but I've shopped pink helmets...

What I've heard is even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

FIDO. ...FIDO. FIDO. K.