All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Complacency.. Everybody's Enemy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
A couple of things happened today that reminded me yet again about the danger of complacency.

first, a friend forwarded a link to a news item about an expert rider 68 years old who was killed when an SUV with mother and 2 kids in it turned left in front of him. The guy was a medical doctor, a racer on the track and had a reputation as an expert and very careful street rider. Perhaps a moment of inattention or lack of the required distrust of potential left turners. In any case, a harsh reminder to all of us that no one is immune to the danger of left turners.

My second reminder was on a local ride, when I was turning sharply into a blind alley and saw a car coming out. I applied front brake to scrub speed as was appropriate and heard and felt the front wheel break traction briefly. Between my ABS and my instinctive releasing the brake pressure, it was a non event, but I was reminded how easily a motorcycle can crash. I'm sure a new rider in the same position would have dumped it.
Be reminded, just because you've been riding for a while, doesn't mean the danger is over. It's always there ready to bite you.
ride safe!

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject: Re: Complacency.. Everybody's Enemy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:54 pm 

Motorcycle: 1999 Rebel CMX
State/Province: FL
City: Summerfield
Thanks for the Reminder Duckster. Always expect the Unexpected. Great Save on the Close Call.

1999 Honda Rebel VQR234se
. . . . . 43,000+ Miles . . . . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:29 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Creston
Since I live in the boonies, all manner of critters seem to want use the same road I ride on. I have got into the habit of watching the sides of the road as much as I watch the road its self. My biggest fear is all the drivers that go left of center due to texting these days. Animals don't want to be run over as much as I don't want to run over them, but the final factor in me hitting the critters was due to them taking evasive action. 2 birds out of 3 where hit because they changed course to avoid me after I changed course too. The same thing with the raccoon and the deer. While I took evasive action, so did they and the end results were not good. People react the same as animals, just a reminder.

Last weekend I had a ride through some very pretty country. As I was riding on a road never taken I was so captivated by scenery that I totally missed a huge pot hole, which I ended up going through and jarring my back, as well as bottoming out the shocks of my Rebel. It just goes to show, it doesn't take much time for just a second of inattention to get the better of a rider.

The moral of the story is, always wear clean underwear, holes in socks are okay...

'07 Rebel 250
'00 Rebel 250
'86 Rebel 450

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:40 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
To quote Bill Cosby:

"Why the pressure for clean underwear? It's not going stay that way. First you say it, then you do it!"

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."