It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Purchased!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:50 pm 

Motorcycle: 2008 Rebel250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: DE
Greetings all,

Just last week I purchased my *brand new* 2008 Rebel with 4500 miles. First bike for me. I have already put over 300 mi on it, mostly putting around the neighborhood, practicing cornering and quickstops.

The chain needs a good cleaning, and the oil is a little brown so I plan to change very soon.

Question: the tires are original, from 2008... I know they need to be changed. There is some hairline cracking on the sidewall and in-between the tread. The tread depth is fine, and the rubber is not rigid (fingernail presses into). Any thoughts on how desperate the tire change is?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Post subject: Re: Purchased!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:05 pm 

The front tire on my bike is about the same age and the same condition.

I would ride it until I need to change it.

Some member has recommended changing the tire every two years. I think it is unnecessary.

Because it is your first bike, it is very unlikely you would ride it rough. Therefore if I were you. I would ride it until I am sure that I want to keep the bike for long. Like most new riders, you might want to upgrade to a larger bike soon after you have ridden it for a few hundred miles.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:20 pm 

Motorcycle: 2008 Rebel250
State/Province: DE
I *am* riding very gently, getting used to the bike and riding in general. I do not want to put myself at risk with insufficient tiers, but would also like to avoid the expense of new tiers right now - if it is safe...

Thank you, Seagull, for your input!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
2008 tires should be fine unless is they have been sitting out in the sun all this time. Catastrophic failures of tires are very rare, and as long as you have reasonable grip they should be fine for moderate riding most of the time.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Seagull wrote:
Some member has recommended changing the tire every two years. I think it is unnecessary.

It's completely unnecessary. Expiration dates fr tires are myths started by the tire industry with the sole purpose of selling us tires more frequently. And here's something that just made the news to completely dispel their own banquet of bull#### :

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/news/c ... SCO&dom=fb

Quote:
If your bike has Continental tires on it, listen up: The company is recalling 9,000 tires sold in the U.S.
The recall affects Conti SportAttack, RaceAttack or RoadAttack tires. There are concerns with loss of air pressure and tread separation.
No accidents are reported yet, and we want to keep it that way.

The tires were manufactured between the 19th week of 2007 and the 26th week of 2014 and sold to both original equipment and replacement customers, Conti says.

See, what they're really saying here is "bring in your old worn-out bald baloney-skin dry-rotted seven year old tires (that we normally wouldn't warranty because they've passed their expiration date) and we'll give you a brand new set." :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:23 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Change your oil immediately if it's not "oil-colored." :)

Unlike a car, the gearbox (transmission) on these things uses the same oil. If the oil has been sheared too much (and it will get sheared quickly under these conditions), it's useless. Further, it will gain acidity with age, which means that it can actively work _against_ what oil should be doing.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."