It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Possible First Street Bike
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 Honda Rebel
Rebel: 250
State/Province: CA
City: Riverside
In about 5-months I will have my 18th birthday and will be looking into getting my motorcycle license. Although my parents feel having a street bike as a form of transportation isn't the safest idea / method, I do believe the benefits of owning / riding one of these bikes outweighs the risk in my situation. I am going to be using this bike as my main form of transportation to and from this upcoming semester of college. From my house to the campus, it is roughly 10 miles with no freeways. (I plan on avoiding freeways as much as possible, if not always on a bike as small as a 250). I am very experienced with riding bikes, using a clutch, bike maintenance, etc. Been riding dirt bikes since I was very young, and my current bike is a KX 250 2-stroke which I have been riding for quite some time now. Some of the reasons I am looking into this bike include, easy maintenance, low cost, (about $4200 brand new, can't beat that), great gas mileage, not too much power, (I have no need to go over 50 MPH unless necessary), not too little power, (enough HP to get me around town all day), Honda is very reliable and I personally would prefer a bike over a car any day. I do believe this is something I should highly take into consideration as I feel I can use this bike for many years to come.

My main question is whether or not you think a bike such as a 2014 Honda Rebel 250 would be suitable for my situation. What should I expect, and how should I prepare myself for something like this?

Any input is much appreciated.

~King

Height : 5'10
Weight : 200 lb.

Post subject: Re: Possible First Street Bike
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:06 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
One thing I've often offered as a suggestion for disapproving spouses or other relatives is statistics. I used to offer it enough that I used to keep relatively current data. Alas, I no longer have family in the insurance game, but I'm betting the data is still out there, if you are determined to find it.

At any rate--

the problem that many disapproving relatives and friends have is the severity often associated with motorcycle accidents.

This is _not_ to be downplayed. First, it's accurate, and stating your case with falsehoods is not going to help.

However, there are other data that can help to mollify those who are worried about you.

Show them the data on _actual_ accident rates. The last data I kept clearly showed that per capita, licensed street bike riders were just over seven times _less_ likely to be in an accident: that's right; driving a car meant you were seven times more likely to be involved in a serious accident than if you were riding a motorcycle.

There is also data that shows a sharp drop-off in accidents involving trained riders (those who took and revisted actual rider training and rider safety courses) than non-trained riders.

Then there is safety gear. As I said: you can't downplay the severity of a motorcycle accident. But you can find statistical and anecdotal evidence of the severity of injury being _substantially_ reduced-- even to non-existence in many cases-- by habitual and diligent use of safety gear such as full-faced helmets, armored and padded riding suits, gloves, etc.

Find this stuff-- if you can't find it, see if your insurance agent can help you-- every major insurance company has a risk-analysis branch whose job it is to find, compile, and track this data.

These are the sort of things that can help put the hearts and minds of your loved ones at ease, or at least make them more comfortable with what you're doing.

Obviously, I'm biased, but I think the Rebel has _always_ been the premier beginner's street bike, no questions asked. It handles far better than anything else out there, owning to its size and weight. It's the easiest bike to manhandle when you make a critical mistake, stops like a sport bike, and doesn't lend itself to jackrabbit starts and other things that lead to foolish behavior.

However, I can't recommend a _new_ bike to a new rider: it's too heart breaking when you whang it up by dropping it in the driveway.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:04 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Duke he's been riding dirt a long time!

Alternatives to the Rebel might include the Honda CB300F, Suzuki DR200 if you really meant the stay away from freeways, etc. The DR is old and bulletproof, Honda's new naked 286 cc single lists about $4K and has modern suspension and fuel injection. I like my CRF230L but they were only sold for a couple of years, however, if a dealer still as one crated up, it should be dirt cheap and they are pretty easy to work on.

Good luck with convincing your folks. That isn't always easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:37 pm 
Forum Administrator

jsonder wrote:
Duke he's been riding dirt a long time!

Thanks, John.

Don't know just how, but I totally missed that. :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:35 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 Honda Rebel
State/Province: CA
City: Riverside
I appreciate the feedback so far. Obviously I still have about 5 months to talk it over with the parents, and I will explain the them everything I've been told from all of you. I honestly feel much more comfortable behind the bar of a bike then I do behind the wheel of a car. I think this bike will be perfect for the scenario I will be putting it in as well as giving me a good foundation into street bikes to grow off of. I do believe being on a bike while in an accident wouldn't be the greatest situation, but I do believe riding a bike gives you a much better awareness of what's happening around you.

As to what jsonder was saying, I am very experienced with riding a bike / using a clutch. Have been riding since I was very young, around age 6 up until now. Also have had experience riding bikes much larger than this one. Only difference being one is on the dirt and one is in the street.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:30 pm 
Forum Administrator

Sounds familiar! :D

I got my first pair of wheels when I was seven (well, my siblings and I got it the winter I was 6, but it took us all winter to get it running), and I've been on them ever since.

Didn't get a four-wheeler license until I was in my twenties. Still don't use it much. ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Don't underestimate the difference between dirt bike riding and riding on the street. the biggest problem I've seen is the way dirtbikers handle the throttle with a cocked wrist. This is fine when your braking will all be planned due to the track, terrain, etc but not so great when sudden unplanned braking is necessary and you end up with unplanned acceleration due to the cocked wrist.
Taking the BRC would still be a good thing to do .

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate