It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Rider, need input.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:21 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: Ca
City: Riverside
Hey whats up guys. New rider, learning on an 06 Rebel, currently have 69 ( :P ) miles under my belt. I have a question about shifting. I have only been riding the neighborhood and have only topped out At 50, but when I am just cruising, I seem to be able to get to 4th gear by the time im at 35mph. Am I shifting too soon? Should I stay at a lower gear longer? It seems I could, but the bike gives of high revs. Hope to hear from yall. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: New Rider, need input.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 am 

State/Province: TX
City: Lancaster
It depends on what you want. In a residential neighborhood, I would shift early and often, sometimes being in 5th by 35, which I believe is what the user manual suggests for optimal fuel economy. If the engine isn't lugging, you aren't doing any damage but shifting.

On the other hand, if you are trying to get up speed in a hurry, say on a freeway on ramp, shift as late as possible or you will never get up to speed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Also noteworthy --- those little red hash marks on the speedo relate how fast you can go in each gear.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:10 pm 

Motorcycle: 2007 CMX250
State/Province: CA
City: Orange County
I do what you do in the neighborhood to keep the noise down. and when I'm getting on to I-5 near "El Toro Y", I hit 5th around 60

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:58 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Have you taken a rider training course? They teach the newbies an awful lot in the 3 day course.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:35 am 

Thanks for the input yall. I feel like im riding the bike just fine, nothing feels out of place or like im doing anything wrong.
My concern is simply if i should rev the rpms higher before shifting to higher gear. The bike feels just fine shifting from 30mph on third to shifting up to forth @ 31mph. I am aware of the hashes on the speedo, but i am in fourth @35 when the has says i can be in 2nd(again, all feels fine).

I havent gone to a safety course(msf) yet, i am planning on attending in the near future. I know it's recommended not to ride until attending; but how could i just let that sweet bike sit there un-ridden? I have just last nite logged my 1st 100 miles on any bike, and can't wait to hit some open road with her. The amount of confidence i have gained in my 1st 100 miles is mind blowing compared to my 1st 10 miles (i started 2nd guessing myself and wondering if i'd made a bad decision like when i tried rollerblading, haha) Well now here i am and can't wait to defeat my doubts that occur on the road in the future.

Well thanks again for this and any future input. Sorry bout that lil rave/boasting or whatever i did there too, had to tell someone about my 1st 100 and who'd better understand than other riders(rebel owners no less) Ride safe yall

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
It is hard to let a new bike sit while you wait to take the course, which is why I recommend taking the course as the very first step in your riding career, even before buying a bike. Then you are ready to ride your bike from day one. Lots of people can't wait to ride, however, and a significant number of them have an accident in the first months of riding that the training may have helped prevent. It's those unfortunates that may wish they had done the course first. Even if you are successful in avoiding trouble ( and I hope you are) , you will be formulating ideas about how to do things that may or may not be the best, and which you may have to unlearn. It's clearly too late for you, but i hope any potential new riders reading this will sign up for the course as the very first step.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:21 pm 

I know where you're coming from and I definitely agree that safety should be 1st. I take moto safety as serious as gun safety.
I researchd moto safety, watched tons of beginner tips and safety vids, and read hundreds of pages of safety books, blogs, vlogs, manuals, and the msf & dmv handbooks. I looked up and researchd so much input, I could probably teach an msf class by the book haha. Also my neighbor is a very experienced rider(40+ yrs), he helped as much as he could w/o actually riding the bike for me. I am also a drummer and video game pro. My hand, eye, and foot coordination are excellent, shifting came natural to me. I haven't left the neighborhood(have only been through one street lite), so I haven't had a real good chance to test my reflexes. I live in southern California, I have no choice but to play it safe if I wanna make my 1st 1000 miles, let alone out of the neighborhood. Simply put, I'm not a knuckle head. Im not gonna push my luck or skills ( lack thereof) over what i can handle.
I want to take msf and I do think I could have waited haha...but yea...beautiful bike, empty seat, young guy looking for an adventure....everyone and their mother knew I wouldn't resist.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Yep. No matter how much reading. videos, research etc. It's not the same as DOING IT and having a pro watching and coaching. 40 years riding does not equal 10 years riding plus 30 courses taught.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:08 am 

Yea I got ya, im not disagreeing with you.
I don't think what im doing is wrong either, but like I said, im looking forward to the courses. I try to suck in as much input as I can to try to execute in practice. Cant practice by listening to a lecture or watching a video of someone else do it. Gotta hop on that saddle and do it yourself.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:54 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:19 pm 

Motorcycle: 1987
Rebel: 450
State/Province: OK
I got my permit in Oct of 2011 & couldn't even ride until the Spring (living in OK, the weather doesn't always allow year round riding) and finally got my full endorsement week before last.

I've only taken one safety course, but I learned so very much from (and will continue taking courses). I read as much as I can on safety and good riding habits, etc. I LISTEN to & TAKE ADVICE from my boyfriend who has been riding since he learned to walk, the same with our friends that ride (but absorb the good advice and discard the not so good from the friends :D ) and have practiced, practiced & practiced and still need more practice.

I'm still no road warrior :cycle: , but I'm working my way up to it.

Listen to your neighbor and the pros on this forum and learn as much as you can from them. There's something to be said about experience. Take as many courses as you can and ride away knowing you've given yourself the opportunity to improve your skills. Practice, practice & more practice will only allow you the freedom of feeling more confident which will allow you the freedom you sought when you bought your bike.

Now, if only I can practice what I preach!!!! ;) Road to Eureka Springs, AR for Memorial weekend and about stressed myself out of my mind (lots of curves in the mnts :gaah: ). Made it, but didn't enjoy it as much as I know I can. I WILL GET THERE! And if a 42 yr old fat woman can do it... you definately can!!!!! rofl

Relax, educate yourself, enjoy yourself and protect yourself.

“Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.” Karen Ravn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:54 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
pacmaninchains wrote:
read hundreds of pages of safety books, blogs, vlogs,

All good starts, but do be careful where you get your information from. Online sources are, effectively, word of mouth, which is filled with a shockingly high bad-to-good ratio.

In fact, it's the staggering volume of absolute crap out there that new riders are exposed to that prompted the creation of this board, back fifteen years or so ago. One of our three primary goals here is providing _solid_, safety-oriented, verifiable, scientifically-derived information to new riders to help arm themselves for many, many years of great riding without incident.

To that end, I would like to point out that statistically you need to be extra careful in a couple of years from now:

Statistically, between your second and fifth year of riding is when you are _most_ likely get yourself hurt: you develop a sense of comfort with riding in general and a confidence in skills that are not yet fully-honed, and an It happens.

Do be careful. Have fun.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."