It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Riding/Driving Test Soon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:18 pm 

Motorcycle: 1987
Rebel: 450
State/Province: OK
Hello Everyone! I've been a member for a bit but this is just my second post.

I've been riding for about 1 1/2 years now but haven't had much time to practice, considering the extreme temps where I live and the fact that I need to be within vision of a licensed rider.

I've obtained my Learner's Permit and am determined to get my full endorsement this year. Which means, I will have to take a riding/driving test.

I've taken a course given by the OHP Motor Patrol that was SUPER helpful and am very receptive to my boyfriend's advise (he's been riding longer than I've been driving & easily has well over 300k miles under his belt).

It's just the thought of being "tested" that makes me nervous and I fear that I'll fail. Does anyone have any advice for me?

“Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.” Karen Ravn

Post subject: Re: Riding/Driving Test Soon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:22 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Does the Oklahoma bureau that licenses/tests provide an copy of the course and things you need to do? If so, practice as best you can in a parking lot or such.

Usually, the tests are surprisingly easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
And usually its common knowledge what you will need to do to pass. Did your instructors outline the test for you?

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:24 am 

State/Province: NY
City: Long Island
If you can go to where the tests are given go down and watch and learn the routine, then as stated above practice the same pattern on your own somewhere else. The challenge for me was that I could easily handle all the turns and stops but not having memorized the exact dance routine through me off, I passed but the tester was nice enough to let me do it twice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Examiners here are very good about putting students at ease. they understand the nervousness of someone being tested. All of our examiners had to take the BRC before becoming examiners so they understand the position of the student. They want to see if you can ride not whether you can remember directions.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:26 pm 

jsonder wrote:
Does the Oklahoma bureau that licenses/tests provide an copy of the course and things you need to do? If so, practice as best you can in a parking lot or such.

Usually, the tests are surprisingly easy.

Thank you very much. I'm going to contact the DMV to see what's available.

“Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.” Karen Ravn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:28 pm 

Duckster wrote:
Examiners here are very good about putting students at ease. they understand the nervousness of someone being tested. All of our examiners had to take the BRC before becoming examiners so they understand the position of the student. They want to see if you can ride not whether you can remember directions.

And usually its common knowledge what you will need to do to pass. Did your instructors outline the test for you?

I live in a very small town with very limited "customer service" from the Driver Examiner. But I'm giong to follow-up with them to see what I can learn in advance. Thank you so much for the information.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:08 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
A bit off-topic, yet on it as well.

That is to say, it's related to driving testing, but I'm afraid it won't really help you with what you need. ;) Sorry about that. :D

Just two weeks ago I had the pleasure of renewing my license. I did everything I was supposed to do; you know:

I got in line to get in line, and when I got through the line I headed for the line to get in line for the next line.....

Two hours later, I'm sitting patiently (everyone familiar with the word "euphemism?") with my little ticket that, when displayed on the digital placard, means I am now free to wander about the cockpit and make may way to what I very much hope will be the last line.

As I was waiting, a young lady-- early twenties, I think-- who had left not even ten minutes earlier with the road test examiner came back in, clearly quite crestfallen. She sullenly relayed her tale to the handful of friends who had brought here to the facility (and evidently, it took six people to bring her here: none of the others seemed to have any business at all with the bureau that day. Seems like a particularly odd way to spend the day if you didn't have to).

Anyway.....

The story-- retold many, many times over the next six or seven minutes-- boils down to this:

The young lady approached and entered her car correctly. She backed out of her space correctly. She entered the lane of traffic correctly. She did several things correctly. However, at some point during one of the maneuvers, she knocked over not one, but two orange cones, at which point the instructor told her that the test was over; she would have to retest after more practice. Evidently, on the way back to the parking area, she ran over a third cone.

The old codger next to me leaned over "Kind of feel sorry for her, don't ya?" and chuckled."

"No;" I replied in that way that us old curmudgeons are allowed to use when asked foolish questions. Besides, I had parked as this same gentleman had gotten out of his car. "Let me ask you this: how would you feel about her if one of those cones had been that brand new Nissan you drove up in?"

The chuckle and the sympathy were gone in an instant.

Then came the part that I _knew_ was coming the minute she opened her mouth: the combination of youth and failure and our modern "nothing is ever my fault" society; from the moment she walked up to her friends I knew it was going to come spilling out eventually. And it rankled me; it rankled me for three reasons: the first reason is because as a former (many, many years ago; like back in the eighties) motorcycle instructor, I have seen first hand the endless disparity between what you spend weeks trying to teach someone and what they actually let sink in.

And second is the sheer stupid factor. However, because of the nature of the build, this particular stupid factor counts twice:

As I said, at first, it was a very dejected telling of the events, getting more an more detailed as she became more accepting of the situation. But as soon as she became comfortable with the telling, suddenly it wasn't her fault. Makes sense, right? Someone put the cones too close; the car was too big; the instructor wanted something that defied physics; who would ever _actually_ turn like that, anyway?

And then--

and then----

out it came:

"It's not my fault! I don't know why I couldn't keep going! I only hit two stupid cones! She didn't tell me that I couldn't hit the cones! She didn't tell me that I failed if I hit the cones! Nobody told me about any special rule like that! If they want us to know that we can't hit stuff, they need to tell--"

This is when I'd had enough. I planted my cane in front of me and pulled up on it (the seats there are just miserable). "Young lady," I said, politely enough to meet with social convention and just loudly enough to get her, her friends, and .. well, honestly, pretty much everyone else's attention. "Do you realize that you are standing here, in front of probably eighty people, including all the driver's test evaluators for a three-county area, loudly proclaiming that you are completely and totally ignorant of the "rule" that when you are driving you are not allowed to smash things with your car?"

Sudden quiet. "You do realize that, don't you? You realize that there are only two possible things you could be implying with that ridiculous claim of yours, right? You are saying that either you think everyone here is stupid enough to believe that and have pity for you (the old codger next to me shrank back a bit), or you are saying that you actually are stupid enough to believe that. Neither of those is particularly flattering, but I've lived a long time; I've seen a lot of things, and I'm willing to accept that at least one of those things is true. Now, given that you were issued a text of sorts when you applied for a permit, and that test included a very specific list of "rules" that were expected both on the road and at the test facility, and given that no one else drives the highway as though they were playing bumper cars at the carnival, and given I've been here five hours and you are the first person today to fail the driving portion of the test, guess which one of those two possible claims I'm willing to accept is true?"

There was just a lot of silence, but she stopped trying to make her failure everyone else's fault. "Now I would suggest to you that the time you've spent here trying to blame everyone except the person who arrived at the test a bit short on the skills being tested would have been better served going home, reviewing your text, talking to your friends here, observing other drivers, asking questions, studying, and finding out who is available when to assist you with your driving practice. You can waste your whole life standing here trying to blame everyone else in the building, but it won't be true, no matter who you convince, it won't change the fact that you failed, and it won't get you ready to pass the next time."

Then I sat down. There were a few muttered comments-- most of them in agreement. The lady behind me leaned up to tell me "you didn't have to be so hard on her!"

"No! I replied. "No; I didn't. I could have coddled and cuddled her and to her she was absolutely right; that they _should_ tell you out loud all the important information from the book, or from the laws-- in fact, they should read it to you so that you don't have to stop staring it Facebook on your phone. Then I could lobby for a new law that says we have to glue pillows to our cars because not everyone out there has been told that they aren't allowed to run into things when they're driving and some of them will probably think it's okay because if it wasn't, then there would been a tweet about it---"

"No; I didn't have to be hard on her; I could have let her stay just as stupid as she has been. Certainly you seem content to worry more about her feelings than her brain or ever her life."

The only part of the aftermath that really meant anything at all to me was from a very frazzled looking road test examiner, who simply stared my way after it all settled down and mouth out a clear "thank you."

I just did the teaching and nearly got buried under stupid. I can't imagine what the examiners go through every day, especially not today.

Like I said: a bit off topic. I actually headed in here tonight to post in the Dudeman thread, but then this topic was right there, starting at me....

As others have said, though: talk to instructors; talk to testers. Talk to people who have taken the test. If possible, watch the road test. Watch several of them: just because the skills you saw tested today were tested with every applicant doesn't mean that those will be the same skilled tested when you try.

Be honest with your self-evaluation: find what you believe to be your _worst_ skill, and make a point to spend a couple of hours two or three times a week in a safe area practicing that.

And please, don't hit the cones. ;) More importantly, if you _do_ hit the cones, remember _who_ hit the cones, and why they hit them. :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:11 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
I don't know what the rules are near you, but in Massachusetts we're allowed to substitute an MSF approved beginner's riding course for the road test portion of the DMV nonsense. I found it to be harder than the test near me was described as being, but well worth it for what I learned.

*pause to look things up*

In fact, it looks like that would be true for you, as well, if your profile is correct and you're from OK:

"To have the endorsement added you must appear before a Driver License Examiner, present the required documentation and take a vision, written and drive test exam. If you have completed a "Motorcycle Safety Foundation" course the drive test will be waived." (from http://www.dps.state.ok.us/dls/apply/dl_mendorsement.html)

Post subject: Re: Riding/Driving Test Soon ("Only Hit Two Stupid Cones"?!)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:25 pm 

Duke-
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth to your reply above. At my age of mid 50-ish I'm going off in a new career path, that of School Bus Driver for one of the 30 largest districts in the USA. I've been self-employed for over 1/3rd of a century, but time takes it's toll, and I need something less "physical".
During the training, each orange cone on the training course was assigned a "name" ("little Timmy, little Suzy", etc.). A bit of humor to put forth a VERY serious idea- namely, kids scamper around these 13 ton steel boxes, and you need to BE ALERT! A 2 ton car can do LOTS of damage, too!
Thanks for speaking up!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:47 pm 
Forum Administrator

A thank you?!

I'm not sure how to act....

In general, the last thing my more curmudgeonly actions generate is appreciation. :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:06 am 

Hello All! It's been awhile since I've been on (been busy riding :D ). I just wanted to say, "I PASSED MY DRIVING TEST IN MAY & HAVE MY FULL ENDORSEMENT!" Whoop! Whoop!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:53 pm 
Forum Administrator

Congratulations, and welcome to the club! :)

And remember:

There is _never_ a good reason to stop practicing, no matter how long you've held a license. ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:36 pm 

[And remember:

There is _never_ a good reason to stop practicing, no matter how long you've held a license. ;)[/quote]

I couldn't agree more! Thank you!