It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Kid just had a rough crash. Introduction + Advice please
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:46 pm 

Motorcycle: 09 Honda Rebel CMX250C
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WA
City: Bremerton
So I'm a new rider. Fetched my 09' CMX250 just two months ago.
Bought it fresh, with 1 Mile on the Odometer and named him "James Dean".

So far I'm at 2009 miles and doing my best to keep the Dean running well.
I'm from Bremerton, WA. I've got friends in Bellingham (4 hour ride) and an old girlfriend I still visit in Ellensburg (3 hours).

On the Bellingham trip The Dean ran perfectly.
Made a rookie mistake on the Ellensburg trip though and over filled the oil. Some of it got into the air filter and Dean has lost ALLOT of power. Especially in the 5th gear.

I wiped it all out and drained the "vomit" tube. Even wiped the filter itself. It's running a bit better but still not close to before. I'm going to need to replace the air filter soon as I can.

I've had two rough crashes. I do my best to ride safely, but Washington is just not the right weather. Way too rainy!

First one was in a rain storm (I'm a penniless 23 yr old and have absolutely no other way to get to work and back unfortunately). Tried to slow down going down hill, but the Universe had other plans haha. Slid for quite a while and kinda laid there in shock until someone saw and then... drove around me... I was so angry that I snapped out of it and got myself home. The Dean was fine (checked with the dealer to be sure), save for a big ugly dent on the tank.

Second crash was about an hour ago. Seriously.
Lady in front of me made a rather abrupt stop, (On my way to the Bike dealer for the new air filter and oil change ironically). I hit the brakes and just slid into the cussed van. Another dent on the tank, shattered the glass on the light (bulb still works haha) and the left rear view mirror snapped off the handle bar. Broken!
This time a group of people rushed to help me. Cop said since I was in back it's "my fault." A little boy was standing on the side walk and while still laying on the ground I pointed at him, pulled my helmet off and said "That's why you always wear a helmet" and winked. He nodded.

To top it all off the dealership center is closed on mondays. (seriously? Mondays???)

My question is this...
Looking at parts online get's a bazillion different prices.

In your humble opinions, what are good reasonable prices on,

Replacement Air Filter,
Replacement Left Rearview mirror (may need a mechanic to replace this part, but looking at it, I'm pretty confident I can handle it.)
Replacement Gas tank (not needed but very desired),
Replacement headlight (including the metal part of it which is bent)
Replacement turn signal plastic. (the lights work but the orange plastic part is all scrapped up...obviously this is the least important)

Like I said, I'm poor as hell which means I need to prioritize.
If anyone can give advice on how much of this I can fix myself without a mechanic, please say so.

I'm still taking to the dealers tomorrow to check up on it and make sure that the handle bars are straight and everything is safe but I doubt I could afford to have it serviced.

Post subject: Re: New Kid just had a rough crash. Introduction + Advice pl
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:19 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
The first thing is to find out why you are crashing.
Did you have the MSF basic rider's course? It is well worth it if you haven't.
Are you using your brakes properly? there is more stopping power on the front brake, like 90 percent of the stopping power.
I've ridden in lots of rain. You do need to slow down and watch for the painted line, since they seem to get slippery but rain just isn't that slick by itself. Your tires should be new enough.
I think Duckster could help with explaing the braking and rain issue much better than I

Get the air filter. A plugged one will affect more than just performance.
You can replace your own mirror. It isn't hard. Just loosen the lock nut the the mirror screws out.
'New one screws in, tighten lock nut, and its Fait accompli.
Tanks are costly. Live with the dent.
The signal lens is cheap, but not a priority at all.
Look for a used headlight assembly.
Do learn to change your oil. It will save you a fortune in dealer costs.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:42 pm 

Yes, of course I took the class.

First crash, I was going under the speed limit. I think the hail pellets raining down was part of it, but also after re-reading the manual, It's saying that I ought to use lower gears to slow down going downhill rather than braking too hard.

As for the second. After today, I'm going to be putting allot more distance between myself and any car in front of me to be sure. I was pretty irritated about the tires just sliding on the road. It was an extremely abrupt stop to be sure (both from the car in front and on my part) so I'm going to have them give the tires a look. They're '08s but unused before me. Last time the dealer said they were fine, but this event tells me otherwise. I'm not okay with slippery tires when I've got hills and sharp turns everywhere in town.

Glad to hear that the rear-view is an easy fix. It looks like it will be, but I need to know more about how to detach all the different tubing.

(UPDATE): It isn't the rear-view mirror that's broken. It's the part that the rear view mirror goes into that is broken. It is says UP on the front, and MJ6 on the bottom.
It's part number 14 in this picture. I think it's called the Bracket.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.cheapcyclep ... 1336591133

I'll definitely look up oil changing on youtube tmrw after getting it checked out.

Last edited by MistaJosh on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
There should be no tubing involved. The mirrors just tread in to the lever perch. If you put the right size wrench on it, it just unscrews.

No need of You Tube for oil. Its a matter of taking out the drain plug (warm engine, oil flows better out) catching the waste oil in a pan of some sort. Then putting the drain plug back in.
Then, add 1.6 quarts of oil.
Easy

Attachment:
underneath2.jpg
underneath2.jpg [ 23.87 KiB | Viewed 2542 times ]

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:52 pm 

Buickguy wrote:
There should be no tubing involved. The mirrors just tread in to the lever perch. If you put the right size wrench on it, it just unscrews.

No need of You Tube for oil. Its a matter of taking out the drain plug (warm engine, oil flows better out) catching the waste oil in a pan of some sort. Then putting the drain plug back in.
Then, add 1.6 quarts of oil.
Easy

Attachment:
underneath2.jpg

THANK YOU!
When i was reading the manual I couldn't find that blasted nut. haha.

Also, here's the part that's broken.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2UJgFM ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
First, I'm sorry to hear of your various misadventures, and hope that your motorcycling fortunes take a turn for the better starting very soon.
I might suggest that your air filter can be rinsed out in a solution of dishwashing liquid and water. This will dissolve the oil in it, and if throughly rinsed and dried, it will be restored to serviceable condition. This is not to suggest the paper filter is washable when plugged with dirt. Oil can be removed however.
As to your 2 crashes, I have an idea that you might be a little rough on the brakes, just by your description of what happened. In the wet, you do lose a little traction, perhaps 15-20% at most, which still leaves lots for normal braking and cornering. Motorcycles like a smooth and steady hand on the controls and will often bite back if you are rough or abrupt with them.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:19 pm 

Motorcycle: 2007 CMX250
State/Province: CA
City: Orange County
Hi I just want to chime in on the dealer prices. I like to shop at a dealer in Huntington Beach, California. Orange County. I think they are slightly cheaper. They use paypal. http://www.hbhonda.com/fiche_select2.as ... veh=137684
and if you are local, you can even pick it up at their store for no shipping.

I hope you are ok and have long riding history so you can pass along some riding wisdom to your grand kids.

If admins think this reply belongs to somewhere else, I understand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:59 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
I'm glad you're ok. One particularly insightful comment of yours pertains to the following distance behind other traffic. Almost everybody follows too closely. Almost everyone maintains that they do not. You need to be AT LEAST a full two second count (one-one hundred, two-one hundred) behind the car in front on DRY pavement. When its raining, at least double that. Don't be too anxious to blame your tires. If there's some wear left til you get to the wear bars, you should be ok.
As jim said, bikes like gentle inputs on slippery roads. that includes braking, accelerating, letting out the clutch and steering.
I am going to strongly recommend you buy (or borrow from the library if such things still exist where you live) a book called "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. Its not preachy or complicated, and it will teach you a LOT of useful skills and insights in a very short time.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
PLP - parking lot practice. It sounds like you are not getting proficient braking down. Get better at it with practice, and as you improve your skills progress to PLP when it's raining.

Now then, I hate to rub salt in the wound but the next part is a reality check:

MistaJosh wrote:
(On my way to the Bike dealer for the new air filter and oil change
... ... ...

I'm poor as hell which means I need to prioritize.

If you can afford dealership labor prices then you can afford a service manual to do those simple chores yourself and consequently use the savings to take a taxi or city bus etc on those rainy days. Just sayin'...

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:40 am 

Motorcycle: 2005
State/Province: wa
City: PNW
Couple of places to get parts that are somewhat cheaper than a dealer.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/metric-c ... FOEM+Parts

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/?gclid=C ... Qgod5SoAAw

get the manual, do the basic maintenance yourself. You WILL save a ton of $$.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 am 

Shadow Shack wrote:
PLP - parking lot practice. It sounds like you are not getting proficient braking down. Get better at it with practice, and as you improve your skills progress to PLP when it's raining.,

If you can afford dealership labor prices then you can afford a service manual to do those simple chores yourself and consequently use the savings to take a taxi or city bus etc on those rainy days. Just sayin'...

Haha, cannot actually. I was just going to buy the filter and oil there. No way in hell was I going to have them do it. Actually, I probly wouldn't even buy the oil there. The prices at the bike dealers are insane. They're the only places within 2 or 3 hours that sell bike gear/parts/accessories/etc and they know it! And it rains...always... so taking the Taxi is certainly not an economic option in the long run.

I am in the process of joining the Air Force, so hopefully that will earn me enough money to fetch myself a decent car for when winter arrives. The winters here are just horrible riding conditions. Wet/cold/icy for the majority of the year. But I appreciate the input and will definitely practice some.

On that note, thank you Midnightrider. Those California cats have better prices than any place I could find online.
I've ordered the new headlight and Bracket piece. Now I just gotta figure out how to get to work lol. Buses don't run that early.

Thanks to Wheezeburnt as well. I'll definitely read it.
Both my father and my step-father used to ride but had some very nasty crashes so they stopped. They're both really angry at me for getting a bike haha.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm 

State/Province: VA
City: Richmond
If you are willing to settle for used, check out Jack's.

'07 Suzuki Boulevard C90 Lehman trike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
MistaJosh wrote:
Haha, cannot actually. I was just going to buy the filter and oil there. No way in hell was I going to have them do it.

Okay cool, when you said "on the way to the dealer for a filter and oil change" I interpreted that as you were getting it serviced there.

Quote:
Actually, I probly wouldn't even buy the oil there.

Look into the gallon containers. Granted you won't use that much but you'll have enough for the next oil change and then some...but you can typically save a quart's worth of cash buying it by the gallon over the higher price per quart.

Quote:
The prices at the bike dealers are insane. They're the only places within 2 or 3 hours that sell bike gear/parts/accessories/etc and they know it!

Look up discounthodaparts.com , cheapcycleparts.com , and waynesvillecycle.com

Quote:
I am in the process of joining the Air Force, so hopefully that will earn me enough money to fetch myself a decent car for when winter arrives. The winters here are just horrible riding conditions. Wet/cold/icy for the majority of the year.

Go blue! Than you for volunteering your service to our country. Drop me a line if you ever make it out to Nellis AFB.

Quote:
Now I just gotta figure out how to get to work lol. Buses don't run that early.

Bummer there aren't buses available during your work hours. I suppose I have to remind myself there are many towns outside of Vegas that don't offer 24 hour services. I've been spoiled by more than just dry weather. ;)

http://shadow-shack.20m.com