It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Meeting up / Joining with other riders
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:12 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005 Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
Here's a question for you guys: If I'm out cruising main roads and come up on another rider, whats the etiquette behind "joining up" and cruising around together. Do we need to get parallel at a stop light and chat? Can one just fall in line behind the other? Should we just remain separate regardless?

I don't know a single person in my area that owns a motorcycle, so a lot of these 'rules of the road' are lost on me! I searched around for an answer on the boards but couldn't find anything specifically answering my question.

Thanks for the help,
-Mike

Post subject: Re: Meeting up / Joining with other riders
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:26 pm 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
I'm probably the wrong person to answer this, but here's my take.

First of all, I don't much like riding with other people, so I'm disinclined to try to do so. I've gone on a ride or two with my father, but that's about it.

As to etiquette: I suspect that's going to vary a lot, both regionally and personally. Regionally in that where I used to live -- near Amherst, in Western Massachusetts -- I wouldn't have thought twice about just following someone, although I probably would have tried to catch their attention and ask if they minded. In Boston, I'd be a lot more hesitant. Why? Well, because road rage and violent crime are rare in Western MA, and they're pretty common in Boston. The riders there were also universally friendly and interested in chatting.

As far as personal takes, some people might really want to ride on their own. Some might love cruising around with other people. Some might be on their way to visit their grandmother who just fell down the stairs, and have a lot on their mind, while others are doing the same as you.

If there's a standard signal for "I'm up for a group ride" or "Go away, I'd rather ride alone" I don't know it.

Hopefully someone else will have a more useful answer!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
amckenzie4 wrote:
If there's a standard signal for "I'm up for a group ride" or "Go away, I'd rather ride alone" I don't know it.

Not sure about the former, but I've got a pretty good idea what the latter looks like... :D

My thoughts: Some folks think anything worth doing is worth doing in a group, but lots of folks don't. Myself, it makes me very nervous to have an unknown rider pull in behind me and tail me, even if he's riding staggered and especially if he's not at least two seconds behind me. I'd much rather have him ahead of me where I can see what he's doing, and so I generally try to wave them by. Its got nothing to do with me assuming ill intent on his part, just assuming incompetence or incautious behaviour. I have a handful of people I ride with (wife, brothers, son, daughter-in-law, and three very close friends), and beyond that, not so much. Its not that I think I'm too good to ride with anyone else; I'm just not good enough to keep track of my own riding and that of some unknown entity as well.

But I do understand where you're coming from. You want to find some people to share the joy of riding with. Don't blame you a bit.

If you want to find people to ride with, I'd suggest introducing yourself to people you see in parking lots near their bikes, have a friendly chat, size 'em up (if they seem to know everything, be a bit nervous), and just tell them you're heading out on a ride, and did they want to accompany you. Or, tell 'em you're fairly new to riding, and wondered if they knew any good roads in the area, and would they like to show you.

But you might give yourself a little more time in the saddle before you try riding with others. There's a tendency to ride beyond your skill level, especially if the guy in the lead wants to show you how competent he is, and you're trying to keep him in sight. You need to ride within your own level of competence, and slowly expand that. As the saying goes, "ride your own ride".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:50 pm 

I appreciate the input, I'm definitely not ready to join up on big/small group rides yet. Just trying to sort out all the different aspects both mechanically and socially! As for now, I'm just enjoying learning to ride and the freedom that comes with it. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
City: Fredericton
I think the etiquette when riding on a motorcycle is the same as when walking on a sidewalk when you come up behind someone.
First, you are obviously travelling faster then the person you overtook, so normally you would wait for a chance to pass in a courteous way. It would be presumptuous in the extreme to assume the other rider is also just joy riding, and would just love to have you join him/her.
It's fine to strike up a friendly conversation with another rider at a gas station or MacDonald's etc, and if they let it be known they are going your way, you may decide to ride along together, although I must confess that usually I am going a bit faster than the other guy, and I'm not about to slow down to wait unless I'm riding with friends.
I'm like Wheezeburnt in that I like to know who I'm riding with.. there's a lot of idiots out there.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
Generally, the law considers a motorcycle a motor vehicle with the same right to the road as an automobile, including the use of the full lane.

magine48 wrote:
Here's a question for you guys: If I'm out cruising main roads and come up on another rider, whats the etiquette behind "joining up" and cruising around together. Do we need to get parallel at a stop light and chat?

Not advisable but stopping next to another rider may be considered OK just for a "Hi, nice ride you have" but not every cyclist is friendly. Prudence dictates giving that guy his own lane and stopping where you would if you both were in cars.

magine48 wrote:
Can one just fall in line behind the other?
Absolutely not! Even coming up on an obvious group ride, you should not just join in. That will tick off the entire group. At the very least they will get nervous

magine48 wrote:
Should we just remain separate regardless?
I would. A quick wave or nod of the head is one thing. Butting in on someone else's business is another.

magine48 wrote:
I don't know a single person in my area that owns a motorcycle, so a lot of these 'rules of the road' are lost on me! I searched around for an answer on the boards but couldn't find anything specifically answering my question.

Thanks for the help,
-Mike

Sign up on 'Meetup' and find a local group. Start one if you like. Organize your own group ride.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:34 am 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
State/Province: PA
City: Marietta
There's another aspect that should be touched on. If you ride up behind a group that are patched (meaning a Motorcycle Club) by all means keep your distance. Most group rides are somewhat organized where you have a road captain and a tail dragger and everyine else falls in between. To disrupt that without an invitation is poor etiquette and could mean trouble.

If you are looking for others to ride with, check out some organizations that interest you such as A.B.A.T.E or Church groups. Most times you can meet with them and find folks that have like minded ideas on riding. Also like mentioned, Meetup is a good source if there are participants in your area.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:21 am 
Forum Moderator

Guys: what is 'meetup'?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:29 am 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
State/Province: PA
City: Marietta
http://www.meetup.com/find/

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks, Cagie. I had no idea.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 am 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Thanks, Cagie. I had no idea.

I hadn't thought of using meetup to search for a group! Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:23 am 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
Check for scooter groups as well.
Most of the scooters are in the 150cc to 300 cc range. Almost a perfect match for the Rebel. In fact, my Rebel fits better with the local scooter club than my SilverWing.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:30 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Holy carp!

A new question!

Thanks, OP; you just made my decade. :D

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:37 am 

Duke wrote:
Holy carp!

A new question!

Thanks, OP; you just made my decade. :D

Haha, I'm glad someone benefited from my utter lack of knowledge! I'll keep the questions rolling. Might just get my self a nomination for some sort of humanitarian award at this rate! :cycle:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 am 
Forum Moderator

You have no idea. I mean, it takes a lot to haul Duke's carcass out of hiding these days, and you just did it! :D Not sure its worth a HUMANITARIAN award, though. Could go either way...... rofl

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:51 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
There's an award for eating people?

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, you are what you eat!