It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Achievement unlocked: roadside repairs?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:00 pm 

Motorcycle: 06 Rebel
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WA
City: Seattle
I'm really bad at remembering to actually turn on the fuel valve - as in, as often as not I'm only reminded by the engine sputtering half a block from home, and have to turn it on in motion. Earlier this week, though, after forgetting yet again, the engine kept choking, so I switched over to reserve, to no apparent change. At this point I realized there's gasoline spilling onto the engine case and ground... oops.

The gas line from the valve had come detached from the engine. I cut the valve to off again and pushed the bike down the hill to the next driveway. Fortunately it's pretty obvious which line is dangling free, and where it needs to go and how to get it to stay. I even cut it off before everything spilled out, and get to the gas station.

So yeah. A few questions after that.
  • How much damage have I been doing to the engine by starting on a closed fuel valve?
  • Is it actually safe to switch the fuel valve in motion? It seems like you'd want it to be, otherwise hitting reserve on the freeway would be big trouble.
  • Is the fuel line problem likely caused by that, or unrelated? I could imagine that too many sudden pressure changes like that could pop it off.
  • Not knowing the actual technical terms ... I got the line back onto the attachment point, and the ring around it to hold it down, but may have mangled the ring more than necessary in the process. Nevertheless, it stood up to the rest of the evening's ride (a whole ten miles... my exciting life). Is that fix supposed to be that easy, or should I have my FLIBS double-check it to be on the safe side?
  • The numbered-list bbcode tags that the post page suggests aren't working.

Post subject: Re: Achievement unlocked: roadside repairs?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Memnus wrote:
[*]How much damage have I been doing to the engine by starting on a closed fuel valve?

None whatsoever.

Quote:
[*]Is it actually safe to switch the fuel valve in motion?

It depends entirely on your level of coordination and your familiarity with the location of the valve. If you have issues with either, then sit on the bike and practice until it becomes second nature. It must become second nature for your own safety; it was intended to be done on the fly, and is safe if you don't have to think about doing it.

Quote:
[*]Is the fuel line problem likely caused by that, or unrelated?

We have a pronoun/antecedent issue here. I have no idea what you're trying to ask. :(

Quote:
[*]Is that fix supposed to be that easy, or should I have my FLIBS double-check it to be on the safe side?

Easy is relative. :lol: It's pretty basic and straight-foward, though, if that helps. :)

Quote:
[*]The numbered-list bbcode tags that the post page suggests aren't working.[/list]

That's not a question. :lol:

No; they don't. That's because we are running some custom scripts for color, text, etc, and that tag doesn't work with the set preferences. Sorry.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:20 pm 

Motorcycle: 06 Rebel
State/Province: WA
City: Seattle
Duke wrote:
It depends entirely on your level of coordination and your familiarity with the location of the valve. If you have issues with either, then sit on the bike and practice until it becomes second nature. It must become second nature for your own safety; it was intended to be done on the fly, and is safe if you don't have to think about doing it.
It's certainly becoming second nature at this rate. I'll just pretend that I've been "forgetting" in order to give myself the practice.

Quote:
Quote:
Is the fuel line problem likely caused by that, or unrelated?
We have a pronoun/antecedent issue here. I have no idea what you're trying to ask. :(
I was asking if I caused the line to pop off by starving the engine and switching the valve in too close proximity. Given the first couple answers, I'm guessing probably not.

Quote:
Easy is relative. :lol: It's pretty basic and straight-foward, though, if that helps. :)
Then I'll keep an eye on it and some pliers at hand, and definitely take it in if it happens again.

Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:13 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Just as an addendum, I don't know if you took the MSF course or not, If not I highly recommend it.
They teach the acronym FINE-C for your starting checklist. If you get in the habit of doing things in this order, pretty soon it becomes motor memory and you don't even need to think about it.. Just like sitting down on the bike and sweeping up the sidestand in connected motions.

F -Fuel valve on
I- Ignition switch on
N- bike in Neutral
E- Engine stop switch in RUN position
C- Clutch and Choke if necessary.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate