All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to Stop with Left foot Down Every Tme
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Everyone who has taken BRC knows that the "ready to ride" position is defined as stopped on the motorcycle in the riding position with the right foot on the brake pedal and the left foot down holding up the bike. This allows for holding the bike with the rear brake while stopped.
Lots of people have difficulty trying to stop with the left foot down every time. It seems that as the speed bleeds off, it becomes more of a random chance as to which foot is going to have to go down to hold the bike up.
An easy solution is to start a normal left turn, just as the bike is stopping. This is guaranteed to put the bike over to the left side.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject: Re: How to Stop with Left foot Down Every Tme
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 pm 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
I found a good incentive to be careful about which foot comes down first -- ride with a sprained right ankle. You'll learn REALLY FAST not to put your weight plus the bike on that right foot... ;-)

Actually, having the bike was a life-saver that week. For local around-town riding I didn't need the rear brake much, and driving my car (manual transmission for extra fun) was just too painful. I tied my cane to the back of the bike, wrapped my right ankle 'till it wouldn't bend, laced my boots tighter than usual, and went wherever I needed to. I'd been expecting to be stuck at home for a week, which would have sucked.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:43 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/mill ... yDuke.html

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:59 am 

Motorcycle: 2008 FLHRC Road King Classic
State/Province: In
City: Peru
Pretty cool Duke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:17 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
I remember that page! I thought of that when I wasn't sure how long I was going to need the cane for, actually. It turned out that after four or five days I could walk without it, I just had to be careful. Driving was painful for about two weeks, though. I did try to think of a better way to attach it to the bike, but I didn't come up with anything cheap that I could use just for the short term. My favorite idea was using some pipe hangers to build something like a flag mount to put on the back of the bike. It would have looked absurd, but it would work!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:09 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: OK
City: OKC
Duckster wrote:
Everyone who has taken BRC knows that the "ready to ride" position is defined as stopped on the motorcycle in the riding position with the right foot on the brake pedal and the left foot down holding up the bike. This allows for holding the bike with the rear brake while stopped.
Lots of people have difficulty trying to stop with the left foot down every time. It seems that as the speed bleeds off, it becomes more of a random chance as to which foot is going to have to go down to hold the bike up.
An easy solution is to start a normal left turn, just as the bike is stopping. This is guaranteed to put the bike over to the left side.

That's some pretty good advice to new riders. I will have to be honest here, I was a little confused at first when reading it.... I have been riding so long that it's just one of those things you don't even think about anymore..... So I am sitting here trying to picture what I do when I come to a stop, lol. Anyway, good post. :cycle:

Toys:
1979 Yamaha XT 500
1980 Yamaha GT 80
1983 Yamaha Exciter 250
1986 Honda Rebel 250
(8) 1979 - 1984 Honda FL250 Odysseys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Its very simple really.. Usually the left lean at the stop is established almost unconsciously with no deliberate effort, but once in a while for whatever reason, I find myself having to steer the front wheel quite deliberately to the right as the bike travels the last foot or so before stopping.
OF course as soon as it's stopped and your left foot is coming down you can center the bars again.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate