It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rebel vs. Shadow
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:11 pm 

Rebel: None
Hello..........

I was wondering if any of you had test driven the Shadow before ultimately choosing the Rebel. Could you explain in detail why you chose the Rebel (aside from cost)?

Thanks for any insight.

Post subject: Re: Rebel vs. Shadow
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Okay we have a little more to work with compared to the other board, so I can narrow it down a little more here than there. But the question is still which Rebel versus which Shadow?

There's the current and vintage 250 Rebel along with the vintage 450, and Shadows were/are available in numerous trims too lengthy to list in one post ranging from 500 to 1100cc.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:59 pm 

Rebel: None
Shadow Shack..... guess I'll be see a lot of you on both boards :D

Nothing older than 5 years... would get the Rebel 250. Would probably want one of the Shadows that sits lower to the ground as I'm only 5'8" (30" inseam). Mainly would be used to travel back and forth to work (about 25 miles) during riding season........... back, rural roads.....not always the best paved.

If this helps....my experience is primarily on dirt bikes, so I'm used to that kind of handle/feel.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Okay so that goes back to 2007. 2007+ Shadows include the 600 VLX, 750 Aero, Spirit, Phantom, & RS and the 1100 Spirit & Saber.

And the 250 Rebel. ;)

So which Shadow(s) are you interested in?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

From the other board that spiraled out of control...

Quote:
I did have a technical question. The purpose for the bike is to travel to and from work (about 30 miles) on country roads -- some of which do not have "GRADE A" paving. Not too bad but there are some rough areas. With this in mind........and my weight being over 200 pounds (thinking suspension here)... is the Rebel still a good choice.

The Rebel won't have any issue with either the road or weight. The bike can safely move 345 pounds, and while the suspension may be lacking at higher weights than that the engine can certainly handle more.

Quote:
Secondly, Shadow Shack asked which Shadow I'd like to compare a Rebel to..... I don't really know at this point........ I do know that that some models are lower to the ground (seat distance) and I think I would like that when coming to a stop as my inseam is only 30".

I wouldn't foresee any of them being an issue here, although the 1100 is the tallest of seats in the family. The 600 is lowest at 25.6" (lower than the Rebel). Fit and finish is really the only distinction between the 600 and 750, there is no other advantage of one over the other. The 1100 line is a bit too heavy for me to comfortably recommend to beginners, they're simply more cumbersome in untrained hands and as a result tougher to throw around at any speed.