It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New rider/owner!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 am 

Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: Oh
City: Eaton
Hello everyone! I just bought a Rebel Friday evening, got the feel for it in a parking lot (never operated a motorcycle before, and only been riding passenger with my love for about 2 years), and took it to the local (close and deserted) county fairgrounds yesterday for a couple hours. Have good balance and shift easily but need to increase my ability and confidence on stopping/starting and starting/turning (like at a stop sign and needing to turn left/right and get out in traffic). Fortunately I only have to go a couple blocks with 4 streets and 5 turns to get there, so I foresee lots of practice this week. :)

I can tell you that I am already hooked and know it's going to be loads of fun. My sweetie has taught (and demonstrates) a healthy respect for caution and constant awareness and I am thankful for that. It's a whole 'nother animal than riding in a car!

Plan to be an active participant here and have spent all morning reading and trying to learn. :coffee2:

Tracy :wavey1:

Post subject: Re: New rider/owner!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:12 am 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
Rebel: None
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
Sign up for a MSF course asap. Practice helps but nothing like having a professional instructor teaching you the basics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:27 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
Welcome to the forum, and you got a great bike!

I'm with David, though -- sign up for the MSF course. It's well worth the expense, and having a professional teach you can make it a lot less frustrating.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:58 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
My wife would advise you to never let the significant other instruct you. She didn't have a choice back in 1967, but, you do.

Me, I'm the dumb guy who thinks she walks on water, and can't figure out why she doesn't do it perfectly, the first time she tries.

Needless to say, it was kind of frustrating for her, but some of my friends helped her get past my inept instruction.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
If you do take the Basic rider Course.. (which is highly recommended for all beginners) you will be amazed at what you learned that you have no idea about now. Former students are the biggest boosters of this program. In a weekend you will learn what it took old timers like me years of good luck to learn, since I started riding before there was any training available. It will give to the basics you need to become a good safe rider.
Ditto about not having hubby or a friend teach you. No matter how good a rider they may be, they will not be able to give you the program you will get at MSF.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:13 am 

Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: Oh
City: Eaton
Thanks for the advice! Having a ball riding almost daily and improving by leaps and bounds.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:30 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda
State/Province: CT
City: Monroe
davidc83 wrote:
Sign up for a MSF course asap. Practice helps but nothing like having a professional instructor teaching you the basics.

I agree....rode my rebel for a few months before taking the state mandated MSF course and I can't believe how MUCH I IMPROVED in just those two weeks (14 hours on the bike). I had an AMAZING instructor...but I really did enjoy it...good luck and have fun...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:02 pm 

Motorcycle: honda rebel 250
State/Province: PA
City: Plains
Hi All - I brought my rebel home yesterday! I took the Motorcycle safety course a few years back and when finished I was presented with an RS100 Bmw 20 yrs old it was my brothers old bike....I LOVED the bike - but found out within days it was way to much bike for me.....AND when I dropped it? there was no way I could get 500 plus pounds upright...

That experience left me disappointed and I stopped riding...A friend was selling a rebel 250 and it was suggested I look at it. I loved the appearance and I figured for back and forth to work - it should be a great bike.... I guess we'll see.

I rode trail bikes as a kid and was a passenger with my husband years ago (triumph 650 - he said I could drive when I could pick it up - never drove)

I had the bike out today - put an hour or so into stop start left right - didn't realize how different it would be (duh) and I'm glad I have the opportunity to practice on some pretty deserted blacktop.

I'll be asking LOTS of questions here.....Glad to have found the group!!

Kathie659

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Welcome Kathie.. You'll find the Rebel to be much more user friendly for a smaller person than the old Beemer. It's light weight and agility will be much more manageable and unintimidating as you get familiar with it. Goo.d luck with it, and have fun

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate