It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: rear view mirror
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:39 am 

Rebel: 250
State/Province: WA
City: Kirkland
I am a new rider, took the safety course, bought a Rebel and have been commuting happily back and forth to work in the good weather for 3 years. I've put about 2500 miles on the bike.

One of the tips I've practice every time a slow down is to glance in the rear view to keep track of the proximity of the car beind me. Last week, while traveling approx. 25 mph in a 25 mph speed limit a came upon a family of ducks. The mother and 5 or 6 ducklings were weaving across the road, and scattering and reconvening. Needless to say, I slowed safely down to just under 20 mph and then slowed again. My eyes were glued to the ducklings which were right in my way. Unfortunately, the car behind me did not slow down the second time and bumped me from behind. I remember falling forward, and then sideways.

The point of my admission is to debrief the fact that I did not instinctively glance in my rear-view. My eyes were foolishly glued to the live animals in the road. I am so upset that in this moment of emergency-- I didn't respond correctly and my instincts were wrong. Now I am doubting my safety to get back on the bike.

The bike is still in the shop getting looked over. I'm not sure of the amt of damage but it was towed from the scene. I was checked over by EMT on the scene and released. I went to my primary person the next day and had my ankle xrayed. No brake in the bone and no more pain. No swelling. Some bruises which are now starting to show.

I am feeling the need to know if the is typical or due to my age (49) or can be learned:
what are you thinking out there?
Be nice-- I feel miserable that this happened of course,...
sarahb

Post subject: Re: rear view mirror
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:42 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Anything small enough to eat at a single meal, you hit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 pm 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
Rebel: None
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
It was nice you slow down the first time for the duck and ducklings; however, as wheeze stated, if it is small enough to eat at one meal, ride straight and hope they move out of the way. The car behind you slowed down the first time but did not expect the 2nd quick slow down (may not have seen the ducklings). Everything we do has a risk to our personal safety, including motorcycles=a risk I acknowlege and ride anyways. If it happens again, slow down but ride straight and keep a steady pace, watch the vehicle in your rear mirror and most of the time, animals will move out of your way (except stupid dogs which chase vehicles).
I hit a hawklet (young hawk, not old enough to fly but with young feathers) which came out of the ditch line; no way I could stop in time so I kept a straight line=unfortunately for it, it decided to weave into my line right when I got to it and ran over its wings. The truck behind me killed it though=couldnt stop and couldnt swerve-on coming traffic. The vehicle behind you though should not have hit you=if they had not been tailgaiting and left enough stopping distance, they could have reacted in time not to hit you; remember, you are invisible to them even when they are within a few feet of you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:19 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
I suspect that this "lesson" has been learned, painfully. You shouldn't make the same mistake again. Age-wise, you're still young and in learning mode, at least by my standards. :D

Learn from the mistake and if the bike can be repaired for a reasonable price, keep riding it. If it can't be repaired reasonably, sell it (whole) as a parts bike, and then decide if you want another motorcycle (or scooter; the 125 cc Yamaha Zuma sure tempts me).

In any case, good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
City: Fredericton
Don't beat yourself up too much.. I can understand how you depressed you feel, but just remember you aren't the first to make a mistake and you have to get back on the horse. You'll be fine.

Your instincts were right to look behind you when you had to brake, but sounds like you fixated a bit too much on the ducklings this time.
Brent is right of course.. if its small, you hit it rather then crash trying to avoid it. However if you can avoid it safely why not try?

I had to brake twice for deer this week.. I'm not going to it one of them if I can avoid it.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
RiderRebel:
Not sure if you're still reading this thread, but my response was typed quickly as I was running out the door, and I've kind of felt it may have seemed a little glib and dismissive. I see david, john and jim have chimed in with more erudite and insightful comment, and I'd just like to echo their comments.

First, dont' be too hard on yourself. What you did was instinctual. And for sure, buddy was tailgating or being inattentive, because you should always be far enough back to get stopped without hitting the vehicle in front of you. Unfortunately, on a bike, you can be right, and also dead right. Right-of-way must give way to right-of-weight while riding. Clearly, buddy was NOT expecting you to stop (this happens a lot around here at on-ramps with yeild signs; you're looking down the road, see no traffic coming, and once the car ahead of you starts rolling, you look down the road again, see no traffic and start moving forward while still looking down the road. Unfortunately, the driver ahead has detected either a hallucination or a disturbance in the force, and stops dead again and suddenly you are part of his bumper. He's an idiot, but you are legally responsible for the accident because you hit him.)

In your case, the guy who hit you is completely in the wrong. But tell that to your chiropracter. If you have some interest in improving your roadcraft, I'd recommend David Hough's books "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling". Lots of riding insight, in bite-sized bits.
Speedy recovery for you and the rebel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 am 

thanks, all.
I am pondering pondering why I didn't hit the ducks or even hit my horn. Yes, the gal behind me took full responsibility as well as liability and a big ticket but I still feel mad at myself.
Motorcycles have extra need to be super safe... I didn't check my mirror.

But, I am actually fine. Good to SHOEI helmet which cost me alot, which will be replaced. But, as far as I know-- the bike is considered a total loss.....
doesn't take much when it can be bought for $2500.
I post again when I get a repair report.
sarahb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

It's natural to be angry with yourself, I've done dumb things myself lots of times.. You'll be a better rider after this, and its sounds like maybe on a new bike with a new helmet courtesy of someone else's insurance. :D .

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:44 pm 

yep- time to hit craigslist....
cost to repair is more than replace---
only lining in this cloud is that although it did its job-- I couldn't stand my helmet, and now I get to buy a new one, on some one else's tab.
sarahb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Things are looking up.. You'll be over this before you know it. :cool:

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:05 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: TX
City: Dallas
I would have tried to spare the ducks, too. It's the sort of thing that I have to consciously override when i'm riding or driving. Did they all make it?

Loud ties save lives

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 am 

Motorcycle: '03 CMX250C
State/Province: OH
City: Hartville
Squirrels seem to be the stupidest, running into the middle of the road, then stopping to see what you're going to do. Mebbe it's a teenage dare thing with them or something.

I've heard about the danger in fixation too, and have caught myself eyeballing obstacles all the way past me. It's an effort of the will, but I'm trying to make a point of keeping my eyes ahead, purposely ignoring the squirrel, and riding on. If I hit it, I hit it.

Small enough to eat... LOL :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:57 am 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
I used to work in a local hospital (different life, different career). One evening the ambulance brought in a lady who had swerved to miss a squirrl while driving her big Ford Explorer SUV. The problem was when she swerved, she swerved off a the road and went over a 200ft cliff. She was DOA. I dont swerve for squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks (lots of them around here), little dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:52 pm 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
davidc83 wrote:
I used to work in a local hospital (different life, different career). One evening the ambulance brought in a lady who had swerved to miss a squirrl while driving her big Ford Explorer SUV. The problem was when she swerved, she swerved off a the road and went over a 200ft cliff. She was DOA. I dont swerve for squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks (lots of them around here), little dogs.

Squirrels expect you to act like a predator. If you head straight towards them, they'll mostly get out of the way. As for the rest... well, you're just filling in for a mid-size predator.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:57 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: TX
City: Dallas
amckenzie4 wrote:
davidc83 wrote:

Squirrels expect you to act like a predator. If you head straight towards them, they'll mostly get out of the way. As for the rest... well, you're just filling in for a mid-size predator.

Squirrels are fast and agile in a sprint, but can't outrun predators in a dead run. So they wait until the predator is close, and evade them with quick maneuvers and head up a tree or something. They don't expect you to just continue on course. At least not the flat ones.

Loud ties save lives

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:54 pm 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
State/Province: WV
City: Brandywine
Maybe I am dumb (well, I know I am, but erm, anyway), but...

While I've run over little wild critters rather than putting it in the ditch to avoid them, I think I'd rather wreck than hit someone's pet (and have on four wheels, but not on two, yet...). There was a split second where I imagined some poor kid heartbroken because Miss Kitty Fluffypants got ran over, and found myself putting it in the ditch.... :<

1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2005 Honda Rebel 250

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

I might ditch for the little kid,,, but not for his kitty.. I would make a controlled effort to avoid the furry critter, but would not risk crashing myself for somebody's pet. Life's short enough as it is.

1996 Ducati 900SS