It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: newer than newbie
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:45 pm 

Rebel: None
hey all,
been lurking around the forum for a little while trying to learn as much as possible before deciding on my first bike. it seems most recommend a 250cc bike for learning so i've pretty much decided to look for a rebel. i've never ridden a bike and no one that i know rides or is even remotely interested in riding but i've always had an interest in cars and now the plan is to graduate to bikes. i'm really excited that i have my basic rider's course in a couple of weeks! boots and gloves are required and they provide the helmet. question is should i buy and bring my own helmet? the brc course i signed up for is being administered through the georgia's department of driver services. i signed up for this before i found out most recommend the msf brc course...anyone here know if there are any differences? should i also take the msf course? no refund for the ga dds course...

Post subject: Re: newer than newbie
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:21 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
We need a GA resident to tell you what is known about the state-run course. Back when I was riding I-85 into downtown Atlanta (early 70's) they didn't have such courses; of course, they didn't have cell phones then either, so the fatality rate is probably a wash between then and now.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:20 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
dongkeykong wrote:
... and now the plan is to graduate to bikes. i'm really excited that i have my basic rider's course in a couple of weeks! ..

I take these two statements as very good signs. The former reflects a recognition on your part that bikes require a new and more comprehensive suite of skills and knowledge; the latter indicates a desire to acquire those skills from trained experts.
Congrats! and good luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:59 am 

State/Province: CA
City: Santa Rosa
Welcome and good plan on your part.
As for your question about buying your own helmet ... my experience with the BRC was that they had plenty of helmets to choose from to find one the fits properly.
If you decided to buy one, you might want to use the "search" button on the forum here. There is a lot of information about proper fitting of helmets. In general you want one that is comfortable to you, but tight enough that the helmet moves with your head. Very bad if the helmet is too big and your head can move within it.