Post subject: Re: I cant relax
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:43 am 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: TX
City: Dallas
Duckster wrote:
ElTigre wrote:
For awhile I too was afraid of making right turns. I planned my work route to only have left turns and straight shots. Sure it took me 45 mins longer but I was more comfortable with it. Finally one day I was running behind and I knew if I was late the boss would chew me a new one. I made that right turn and I never looked back. Now I'm just afraid of these new round about things that are popping up. I once drove in circles for 20 mins trying to figure it out.

I have never really understood why students have difficulty turning one way and not the other. At very low speeds, it may have to do with clutch and throttle control as the handlebar is moved in and out away from the rider, but on the road, where the handlebars don't move much and clutch and throttle control are easier, I can't think of a physical reason why it would be harder to turn one way than the other. I have to think it is a mental block of some kind. Your story kind of confirms that theory.

I'm sure it is a mental block, and at least for me comes from riding a bicycle as a kid. Perhaps because I'm right handed, perhaps because the kick stand was on the left and I always got on and off from the left. My left foot was the one I put down to come to a stop, and my right foot was the one I used on the coaster brake. When I moved up to a ten-speed and hand brakes, the habit stuck. While I don't drag my feet around turns, I still feel more comfortable being ready to put my left foot down when coming to a stop. Somehow, this makes tight left turns feel more natural to me than tight right turns. I'm sure some of you will have plenty to say about this, but it is what it is.

Loud ties save lives