It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I cant relax
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:58 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WV
City: Morgantown
Hello rebel250.com I am a new rider and a owner of a new 2009 Honda Rebel 250. I have been watching youtube videos on how to ride and have been teaching myself to ride. I have now 300 miles on the rebel in the past week. I would say I am advancing pretty well for a first time rider, but I cannot relax while taking curves and turns. Has anyone else have this feeling or has had this feeling. I am hoping my anxiety with curves and turns will eventually ease up with experience. Any insight would be appreciated.

:bikerthumb:

Post subject: Re: I cant relax
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
My advice to you would be to sign up and take the MSN beginner riding course where you live. They will do a much better job of teaching you ALL the basic stuff (a lot of which probably hasn't even occurred to you as yet) you need to know.
If you do this, I can almost guarantee you will be amazed at what you learned in a short time, and will consider it time well spent.
Curves should be FUN.. not a source of anxiety.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm 

Thanks for the response. I have not thought about taking a riders course, but like you have written I would probably learn things I never thought of. I am about to relocate to another state shortly maybe I will look into finding a riding course, maybe I will learn better cornering techniques... Thanks Duckster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you're riding a lot already, I wouldn't wait to take some training. New riders need all the knowledge and skills they can get as soon as they can get them. Ideally you take the course before you venture out on the road by yourself the first time.
This is just a hunch, but I suspect your cornering problem arises because you are reluctant to "lean" the bike much. You feel insecure as the bike leaves its straight up and down position. Am I right?

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:15 pm 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
City: Brandywine
Howdy fellow WVian. I lived in Morgantown for 7 or 8 years (former sysadmin of the WVU Mathematics department, lol). What's your major?

I'm with Duckster on the MSF class. I "taught" myself (with some various bad advice from my dad) on dirt bikes in nice soft grassy pastures, herding cattle on the farm years ago, and learned some bad habits, which were hard to break. I can't imagine self-teaching on the road. I'd have been seriously injured in short order, I expect.

Not trying to be an alarmist or scare you off the bike or anything, but...... Inattentive drivers will kill you faster than a bullet, especially in that college town with the freshman driving the wrong way on all those one-way streets and the drunken carousing etc etc. ;3 Gotta get that training and hone the skills to avoid them (and the burning couches lol).

Is it still as crazy up there as it used to be?

1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2005 Honda Rebel 250

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:12 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
I'd like to add my voice to recommending training. It is virtually impossible to teach yourself. Too many videos are incorrect. Even if the videos on youtube are correct, there is no explanation, no coaching, no feedback.
In an MSF course, you have an instructor watching you, so you have a trained observer giving instant feedback. Bad practices are immediately corrected before they become habit.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:48 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
At the risk of being the 'me too' guy on this thread, I fully support Duckster's advice. Whatever it costs, and whatever time commitment it involves, you will find that a week, a month, a year later you'll be saying "Ah, just as they said in the course.....".
And if it saves you just one tumble, drop or slide, it will have paid for itself (perhaps several times over) in bike and people repairs.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 am 

State/Province: CA
City: Santa Rosa
wheezeburnt wrote:
At the risk of being the 'me too' guy on this thread, I fully support Duckster's advice. brent

+1 on that. Take the Basic Rider Course.

rebelnoob wrote:
I would say I am advancing pretty well for a first time rider, but I cannot relax while taking curves and turns. Has anyone else have this feeling or has had this feeling. I am hoping my anxiety with curves and turns will eventually ease up with experience. Any insight would be appreciated.

One thought ... are you sure you are keeping your eyes up and looking through the turn? This is an important thing that will be taught in the BRC.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:23 am 

Motorcycle: 2008
State/Province: Oh
City: Mentor
Agree on the course as well as keeping your eyes ahead while turning. This means turn your head and look at where you want to bike to go to, do not look in front of your tire while turning as that is where your bike will go. I was nervous as first but got used to it. Go to a parking lot and practice doing a u-turn. This will get you used to turning. Remember, turn your head and keep your eyes looking at the end of the curve to where you want the bike to go. Good luck

2008 Rebel 250 "Piglet"
1982 GL500i "Grand Old Gal"
1974 CB750 "La Cabrona"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 am 

The majority is take a BRC, which as soon we get situated in our new place I will start researching courses I can take. Thanks to everybody who responded to my question.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
In the meantime, get a copy of David Hough's book Proficient Motorcycling and then get More Proficient Motorcycling. I can think of no better material to improve one's riding. OH, and read them. They're in bite-sized bits.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:12 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
As everyone else has said, taking the BRC will help, a lot.

That said, I still tend to tense up in turns if I'm not paying enough attention. Here are a few things that help:

1) Wearing all the safety gear. I won't go out without a helmet (it's not legal here, but I wouldn't anyway). I also wear an armored jacket. If I add the armored pants I got leaves me just that little bit more comfortable in the curves. I turn more smoothly, lean deeper, and do a better job of maintaining my speed. It's a psychological crutch, basically: I subconsciously know I'm well protected, so I can focus on riding, not worrying.

2) Running through the sequence of the turn in my mind before I start. Slow, downshift, start to lean when I get there, roll slightly on the throttle, closest point to the line is there, start straightening out. Now I just have to do it. It only takes half a second to think it through, and it means I know ahead of time what points I should be aiming for.

3) Keeping the speed reasonable. I'm going to irritate the guy behind me a lot more if I fall because I'm going too fast.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Some interesting and useful comments regarding cornering so far.
Wearing the gear is always a good idea, although I will confess to riding in less than my full leather suit quite a bit of the time. I do like to have all the gear when I am REALLY tempting the Gods, which I seldom ever do. :D
Those adrenalin spiked fear freezeups in corners happen because the rider finds himself surprised by how fast he is going, and how sharp or difficult the corner is.
This is almost ALWAYS the result of poor, or lack of planning. After all, rule number one for SAFE cornering is that you can always stop in the distance you can see ahead. Think about that one. If you can't stop on the road you can see ahead, then you are committed to riding on into the unseen road ahead no matter what else might be occupying the same space, or what hazard you may find there.
It logically follows that if you can stop on the road you can see ahead, then surely you can decide if you need to adjust your speed or your line to suit the curve of that road, or to adjust for some oil, sand or a pothole that becomes visible as you are going around.
Of course, if your attention is focussed on the road 30 feet in front of your bike, all these hazards are going to come as a complete shock to you, and you will crash because you ARE COMMITTED to riding over the road 30 feet in front of your bike.
The key to good planning and relaxed cornering is seeing the hazards early and making adjustments. You also need to see the whole curve to decide how fast it's safe to take it. Both of these things require that your eyes to be looking up and around the corner as noted by several other posters. You should be scanning to the limit of your visibility around the corner looking for the lay of the road and for any surface hazards or other obstacles that could require a sudden change of plans.
If you can force yourself to move your focus away from that spot on the road directly in front of the bike to the limit of your visibility, you will find cornering gets much easier and more relaxed. (also safer).

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 am 

Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Rebel
State/Province: NY
City: Long Island
"The key to good planning and relaxed cornering is seeing the hazards early and making adjustments."

Excellent advise. With time and experience you'll learn to relax while you're riding while at the same time being vigilant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:27 am 

Rebel: None
State/Province: MD
City: Baltimore
BRC sounds like a good plan. I've been riding a little Honda scooter for the past few years and wanted to upgrade to something that could keep up with traffic and not struggle to break 30MPH going uphill but I needed my Class M motorcycle endorsement to do so legally. I'm kind of impatient to start shopping but while I wait for my scheduled class next month I have more time to research and shop around. I know if I buy something now I will want to ride it without the proper license and risk a $275 ticket so I figure $280 for the BRC is worth my time and money. Insurance will be lower, I will learn to ride properly, and once I pass the 4-day course I can just turn in the certificate for my Class M license and skip the driving test at the DMV. The only downside is that the classes are pretty crowded this time of year and it's taken a while to get a slot. In the long run I think it will be better though. I know how to ride a motor scooter and I drive a manual shift car but learning to ride a motorcycle from a real teacher will make me a better rider.

Now come on, May 20th!! (well, 21st, since I can't turn in the form for my Class M on a Sunday)

It's getting way too nice out to be puttering around on a little 49cc!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

soylentcola wrote:
BRC sounds like a good plan. I've been riding a little Honda scooter for the past few years and wanted to upgrade to something that could keep up with traffic and not struggle to break 30MPH going uphill but I needed my Class M motorcycle endorsement to do so legally. I'm kind of impatient to start shopping but while I wait for my scheduled class next month I have more time to research and shop around. I know if I buy something now I will want to ride it without the proper license and risk a $275 ticket so I figure $280 for the BRC is worth my time and money. Insurance will be lower, I will learn to ride properly, and once I pass the 4-day course I can just turn in the certificate for my Class M license and skip the driving test at the DMV. The only downside is that the classes are pretty crowded this time of year and it's taken a while to get a slot. In the long run I think it will be better though. I know how to ride a motor scooter and I drive a manual shift car but learning to ride a motorcycle from a real teacher will make me a better rider.

Now come on, May 20th!! (well, 21st, since I can't turn in the form for my Class M on a Sunday)

It's getting way too nice out to be puttering around on a little 49cc!

You are very wise. I predict a long and happy riding career.. :D

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:12 am 

Motorcycle: Black 1978 Suzuki GS50E
Rebel: None
State/Province: IN
City: Ossian
after you go thru the basic course, it would help if you rode with someone that has ridden for several years. I started out after the basic course, to find someone to ride with. I started riding with some of the American Legion Riders. Most of these guys have been riding for years, with one guy in particular that puts on 35-40,000 miles a year.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:12 pm 

Motorcycle: 1986
State/Province: Wi
City: Milwaukee
For awhile I too was afraid of making right turns. I planned my work route to only have left turns and straight shots. Sure it took me 45 mins longer but I was more comfortable with it. Finally one day I was running behind and I knew if I was late the boss would chew me a new one. I made that right turn and I never looked back. Now I'm just afraid of these new round about things that are popping up. I once drove in circles for 20 mins trying to figure it out.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:01 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
I dislike those roundabouts too. There are just too many folks who would run you over in a heartbeat.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

ElTigre wrote:
For awhile I too was afraid of making right turns. I planned my work route to only have left turns and straight shots. Sure it took me 45 mins longer but I was more comfortable with it. Finally one day I was running behind and I knew if I was late the boss would chew me a new one. I made that right turn and I never looked back. Now I'm just afraid of these new round about things that are popping up. I once drove in circles for 20 mins trying to figure it out.

I have never really understood why students have difficulty turning one way and not the other. At very low speeds, it may have to do with clutch and throttle control as the handlebar is moved in and out away from the rider, but on the road, where the handlebars don't move much and clutch and throttle control are easier, I can't think of a physical reason why it would be harder to turn one way than the other. I have to think it is a mental block of some kind. Your story kind of confirms that theory.

1996 Ducati 900SS