It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rebel 250 Enough Power?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:10 pm 

Rebel: None
State/Province: OH
City: Cincinnati
I am looking into purchasing a rebel 250 at the beginning of the summer for getting to and from work (im a poor college student and gas is expensive). My question is, I live in an EXTREMELY hilly area, so to get home i will have to go up a very steep hilly road for about a half mile (from a stop sign at the bottom) so my questions are:

1 will it be able to get me up (i weigh about 170)
2 if so any shifting tips to help me do so smoothly?

Post subject: Re: Rebel 250 Enough Power?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Yes it will take you up any kind of hill for a half mile. Take an MSF course. they will teach you all you need to know about shifting smoothly and a lot of other important stuff.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
Last summer I weighed around 250 pounds. My rebel would happily pull me up to around 65mph on the highway. It also kept up with traffic on a road that's usually 45-50mph and quite hilly (route 202 near New Salem and Shutesbury, MA) just fine.

I wouldn't worry about it, since you weigh a lot less than I did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:16 am 

Depends on how steep and how fast you're looking to go.

I've encountered some issues climbing on the Interstate near Asheville, NC, where the relatively level lands suddenly begin to sharply rise on a road where everyone is chugging along at 70-80mph. This was a new bike at the time, and I found myself having to drop down to fourth gear in order to have enough power to keep up with the speeding traffic (I managed to push about 55-60mph on the upper end of fourth).

So in my experience, as long as you're staying away from extremely steep grades on the Interstate, you shouldn't notice much of a difference in riding capability, unless you absolutely, positively must ride everywhere going 80mph...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:10 pm 

As already stated it's highly recommended to take a MSF course. I weigh 220 and my Rebel pulls me up hills at a steady pace @ 60mph in 3-4th gear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:57 am 

Motorcycle: 2000 XL 1200 S
State/Province: MD
City: Pg County
As everyone else said, my rebel pulls me up hills at a steady pace of 55+ depending on the grade of the hill.

1980 XS400 Special (Restoration Project)
2000 XL1200 Sport

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
I never lived in Cincinnati but my folks used to. Judging by what I've seen from numerous visits there, when it comes to a the Rebel I'd be more concerned about the riding weather than the riding terrain. :wink:

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:01 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Belton
Cincinnati is definitely hilly; I grew up in Dayton, but both parents grew up there, and I went to Xavier for college. I think the worst hill is at the intersection of Ebenezer and muddy creek. I don't like going up that in a car, much less on a motorcycle. This was one of my questions too, and it seems like a Rebel can handle it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 pm 

State/Province: VA
City: Richmond
I am just catching up with this thread.

Hills are a problem for a noobie on a bike or in a manual-trannie cage. After you take the MSF course, find some gentle grades where you can practice starting and stopping going uphill and downhill. Be prepared to stall starting uphill. One corner near my house has a stop on an uphill grade, after which I have to make a hard right going slightly downhill. That corner gave me fits, but if I can do it you can, too.

In the meantime, check out the other ways to get to and from home. Pick the least troublesome one and master that, first. If that is the long way around, all the better: More opportunity to practice! When you have mastered that route, go on to the next, least troublesome one, and so on. I guarantee that you will get to the point that going uphill and downhill will almost be fun. Just don't take on too much, too soon. That is a sure way to get yourself in trouble.

As for the Rebel 250, it has enough power to handle the hills at the speed you will be going. You don't intend to set the new, world record from 0-60 going uphill from a stop sign, right? The 250's light weight and nimbleness will limit your exposure to trouble while you build skills and self-confidence. Don't fall prey to testosterone poisoning.

'07 Suzuki Boulevard C90 Lehman trike

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:20 am 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
I weigh 210, and have climbed 10,000 foot mountains on the Rebel. It will climb as long as there is gas in the tank, though you will have to downshift on steeper hills, and ride slower. I never ride my Rebel above 60 mph indicated in top gear (stock gearing) and try not to let the engine run any faster than that in the lower gears. I can still pass fully loaded 18 wheelers going up steep grades. I have never worried about riding slow, sometimes it's all the Rebel will do. As long as the road has more than one lane going in the same direction, get in the right lane and stay there. I have ridden 30 mph on the highway many times while climbing steep hills. Faster traffic can just use the left lane. It's single lane roads where you run into a problem. My state says you have to pull over and let traffic by when there are 5 vehicles behind you. I usually do it a little more often. For half a mile, you will have no problems. In first gear, the Rebel has more pulling power than it can use, it will pull hills so steep they would cause you to flip over backwards. I doubt there is a paved road in the world the Rebel will not climb. It will even climb Pikes Peak, just not real fast.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:05 pm 

...depends entirely on how fast you need to go. It will definitely haul up pretty steep hills at 50 mph or so.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:18 am 

Motorcycle: '03 CMX250C
State/Province: OH
City: Hartville
I'm 6'2"" 230#, and find if in the appropriate gear, my 250 has no problem at all with hills.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:19 am 

Motorcycle: 1985 honda rebel
State/Province: or
City: Mount vernon
My 85 250 rebel hauls butt, plain and simple I weigh in at 200 to 210 and my bike zips along just fine,
and in my area I have big hills also mountains so I would not worry.

chazb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:59 am 

State/Province: CA
City: Santa Rosa
I ditto what dadorfman says, he's giving you some good advise there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:31 am 

Motorcycle: 1985
State/Province: Or
City: Eugene
I have a good mix of hills of diffrent grades and lots of varation in speed limit roads in Eugene Oregon. I just got mine and just finished my training course. My 85 250 will zipp allong just fine about anywhere but I-5 its a verry long and streight hiway and people and trucks seem to just put ther cruse control in like 75 and just fly down the road. Im finding the Rebel to be real hard to get it up beyond 65mph max. There are things im dooing and others have done to try and make it a little more faster. Even In a car I DON"T ever go above 80 so on this bike I dont see a reson to do the same. It takes 6ft1in 240lb me arround the rest of town fine though. If you arnt opening it up in a lower gear you can get some serious exeleration. (example) being in 3d geer and going on a 25-30 mph road and having to speed up to avoid a confused driver. being in 3d I fly from 25 to 35-38 super fast.

This bike is also a Flamingo dancer. I meen WOW im stunned by how nimble it is. Just a bit of a lean push a turn of the bars and you can be miles away from what ever it was you were trying to avoid and correcting your path is as easy as devating from it. I also go over lots of potholes and rather rougher road. It goes right over that stuff fine. Just stand a little on the pegs so you don't thump your rear. Ive hit rocks and all kinds of other stuff it seems to ignore most any thing. Id think with a huge 1000lb Monster bike ya hit somthing funny and then ALL that weight is going to go somewhere you cant stop it from going. This bike only is 368lbs Less than 2 me's. Its also not hard to pick up if it falls (for any reson).

Any way im rambling. I love this thing just want a little more GO power.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Get something with a bigger engine if you need more power. There is no realistic way to drag more usable power out of the Rebel engine. And even if there were, the required modification would probably ruin the good points of the bike that you like so much.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:49 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Simply put, you could hire someone to design a stroker kit for the bike ( http://www.DesignedPerformance.com or other such company) and maybe eek out an extra 50% worth of power...ramping it up from 16HP to 24. And that would include a premium intake and exhaust system, more precious coin and design effort (considering there's only two "so so" grade commercial exhaust systems out there and zero intake systems available).

In the end you'll have a bike that puts out about the same power as a Suzuki LS650 Savage, which would cost you far less up front ;)

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:44 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
City: Green Valley
24 hp alternatives:

new: Honda CBR250R or Kawasaki Ninja 250

used: Honda NX250 (rare) or Kawi 250 Ninja (the ergonomics are as close to a standard as they are to a sport bike)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:36 am 

City: Chandler
As the previous owner of an '07 Ninja 250, and the current owner of a Ninja 500, which has bar risers, I still find the riding position more extreme than I can handle except for short distances at the time. I'm pretty sure the CBR250 would be about the same, though I don't know for sure. I use the Ninja 500 for sport riding only, it is not suitable (for me) for trips or even commuting if you have to ride through a lot of stop and go traffic. Those low bars and high rearset pegs are like doing pushups, it takes a lot of effort to ride.

There are several bikes with larger displacement that have a lot more power than the Rebel, yet do not feel much larger, and are easy to handle. They are all cruisers. The LS650, EN500 Vulcan, VLX600 Shadow. Only the LS650 is still made, now called the S40. There are plenty of nice used Vulcans and VLXs out there. the Vulcan is by far the hot rod of the group, it has basically the same motor as the Ninja 500, and will happily cruise along at 80 mph all day, and top 110. It is easy to handle, lightweight, and with a low center of gravity. It is BETTER than a Rebel for a full sized rider, as are the other two. The Rebel is basically a 2/3 scale motorcycle, and gets very cramped for anyone over about 5' 4". I am 6' 210, and ride a Rebel just because I like it. I have larger bikes. But I had to modify mine so I could fit on it for more than 20 miles at the time without severe pain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:13 am 

Motorcycle: Honda
State/Province: Tx
City: San antonio
I'm a newbie! I rode dirt bikes when I was a kid, we would ride on the streets and watch for the police.
Now that I'm a seasoned citizen I want to ride, so I took the safety class and got my endorsement.
I did some research on line, and talked to a dealer and I bought a 2009 rebel.i ride my rebel around the hills around Bandera tx. The rebel takes it all. I have found the power to be just what a new rider needs.
The bike will out accelerate most cars and mine will take my 190 five foot ten carcass up to 75 mph!
I will admit that at 75 the engine is spinning. The point is I want to ride not race! To me this bike is perfect.