It is currently Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rebels and Weight
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:46 pm 

State/Province: FL
City: Orlando
Okay, well I just have a quick question that I didn't notice in the FAQ's section. I'm looking to get a Rebel possibly in the next few months. I do have one concern that I haven't seen discussed much anywhere online. Weight effect on acceleration. I am 5'6" and weigh 190 lbs. With the size of the engine on the Rebel, I would really think that with each 10 or so lbs you'd really be changing the overall performance of the bike, right?

Say a guy weighs 150 lbs, and at a dead stop hammers the accelerator to merge into traffic (0-45 mph-ish). There would HAVE to be a difference for a guy like me who weighs 40 lbs more right? Anyone on here about my height and weight who can shed some insight on their experiences with acceleration?

I'm not so concerned about top end, as I will only be riding it on empty highways early in the mornings, etc. I live in Orlando, and if there's anyone on this site who lives here, they know how horrible people drive around here. I won't be on highways during the weekdays EVER. Hell even if i had an 1100 Shadow or something I'd avoid em. Bad enough in a car, let alone a bike. But even on urban/city streets around here people are nuts and speed everywhere. I just want to be sure that the 250 will accelerate decently enough with my weight that I can deal with people around here because I do want to ride daily (work/school etc).

Sorry for the long post, but I'd rather just get my concerns out all at once than over 5 posts. Thanks for reading! -Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
The Rebel will never be a hot rod. It's a small slow bike compared to many, but I weigh 220 and have no difficulty accelerating from low speeds in city traffic. The Rebel can do what you want it to do.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:04 pm 

Thats really all I need to know. I'm not looking to pop wheelies, burn out, or go 150mph on the highway. Just looking for a good RELIABLE bike that i can customize here and there, and merge into traffic without sweating whether the Honda Civic Hot Rod driver bearing down on me too fast! hahaa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:07 pm 

OH, and save gas, and not break my bank to buy...hahaa Forgot about those two!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:19 pm 
Contest Winner!

Motorcycle: '05 CMX250, '95 CB750
State/Province: DE
City: New-Ahk
We have some heavy people here (who weigh quite a bit over 200lb) who ride Rebel 250's.

Acceleration might be different between a 150 and a 250lb person, but it will be insignificant. Like Duckster says, even if a 105-lb supermodel gets on a Rebel, it is still going to perform like a Rebel.

If you still want a small bike with more gutso, you are better off getting another bike like a Ninja 250 or TU250.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:46 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
The bike is rated for something on the order of 300 pounds of load.

I can _promise_ you that I've seen more than one toting far more than that. :lol:

The ride suffers, and the power suffers even more, but it _will_ do it. ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:59 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
345 is max safe loading according to the sticker on my swingarm.
You are worried about 190? No worries. I'm more than that and it does just fine.

'61 Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:21 am 

Cool! Nah, I'm not much for the Ninja's and sport bikes. My grandpa always told me to never ride anything where my smurf is higher than my head! hahaa I really love the look of the Rebel, especially for the price tag. Just seems like a great starter bike, with lots of options for customizing too. I really appreciate the info on the weight limits, etc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:24 am 

Hmm...Interesting!