Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
daq7 wrote:
But I still practice the box (kind of). Maybe some day it will seem natural.

When you think you're pretty good, try making all your box turns LOCKED turns (forks turned all the way to the stop). This raises the bar a couple of notches, and basically makes the turns as tight as the bike will go.
The more lean angle you can get, the tighter a locked turn will be on a given bike, so if you counterbalance a big lean angle, and hold the locked turn you will turn your bike as tightly as possible.

One way to keep your balance in a locked turn is with speed control. You can't countersteer in the direction the bike wants to fall as you normally do, because the forks are fully locked. Power through the clutch will pick it up, rear brake will drop it in by slowing down. The other way is by standing on the pegs and shifting weight (kind of cheating :lol: )

:lol: Have fun trying that.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 am 

Well, I guess I may start trying the feet up turn in two parking spots, but I don't like practicing in areas where if I screw up I am likely to hit a curb or something.

Doing tight turns on the rebel is harder for me, because the handles hit my knees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
I've found that I picked up the bad habit of leaving my index finger wrapped around the grip while I'm clutching with the other three fingers.
I've been making an effort to correct that and use all my fingers on the clutch.

'61 Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

We'll just call you "stubby" from now on. Good way to lose a finger . :lol:

I got into a big discussion with a student last year who was convinced that 2 finger clutching was the way to go despite all evidence to the contrary. He claimed he could get a lot more precision that way. (Its basically the 2 finger braking argument ) The difference of course is that the clutch comes all the way to the handlebar whereas the brake does not.

I convinced the guy to wait til he gets his licence before he invents any new motorcycle techniques. :lol:

1996 Ducati 900SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:23 pm 

:lol: Stubby is a nickname I could live without so I'm making a concerted effort to drop that bad habit pronto.
I know what you mean about some student ideas. I get students on the range that come up with the strangest grips I've ever seen, none of which offer them any control and some are great ways to cause great personal injury. I tell them something similar to what you told that guy, "If you want to shoot yourself, do it on your time and not on my range!"

'61 Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:22 pm 

for the record, regardless of my brake affiliations, i am a 4 finger clutch guy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:30 pm 

Motorcycle: 1989NX250
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
daq7 wrote:
Well, I guess I may start trying the feet up turn in two parking spots, but I don't like practicing in areas where if I screw up I am likely to hit a curb or something.

Doing tight turns on the rebel is harder for me, because the handles hit my knees.

Raise the handlebars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:55 am 

Yeah the wife keeps trying to get me to put handle bar risers on the rebel. But I bet she won't ever ride it since she has the thumper.

I tried the two parking lot thing today. Almost did it. Not quite though. Put a foot down...

I will keep practicing low speed turns every time I ride. As I said I am getting better at it, but it makes me nervous even after about a year of riding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Remember when doing those tight turns around expensive cars that its better to put a foot down and stop than to hit one. Fortunately you will be going very slowly so its no prob to abort if you have to.. No shame in that. :lol:

1996 Ducati 900SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:21 pm 

One think you absolutely don't want to do is grab the front brake. I made that mistake last summer and ended up on the pavement post haste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:11 pm 

State/Province: PA
City: Phoenixville
LF - I was thinking of this thread on my ride today! I rode about 50 miles or so around the area (can't WAIT for GPS to arrive so I can go wherever I want without worrying about getting lost) and then intended to head over to the lot near my house where I took the ERC a few weeks ago, to work on some low speed maneuvers. Since I wasn't paying attention to what time it was and hadn't bothered to wear a watch, I was THWARTED by the fact that today's class was still going on, so lesson learned, but I'll be back over there soon.

It is the perfect riding day here...72 degrees, with a little breeze and no humidity. I can't imagine better riding weather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:27 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Shadow ACE (2003)
Rebel: None
State/Province: DE
Yeah, it stinks because here it runs from 8AM to 6PM :0S

Did my 300 miles or so this weekend--was GREAT! It's a LOT more hilly upstate, though--something my old clutch just isn't up for, haha.

Post subject: Hit Bird or Bird Hit Me?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:50 pm 

State/Province: MO
to: LaFazinator,

Read all the posts and not one replier replied about hitting/being hit by a bird while riding. Well, before getting my mc endors, i was a passenger on back with hubby. A bird dove down from the wooded area we were passing through and pulled back right as we were passing - missing my husband but hitting me in the head - thank goodness for my full helmet. My face shield was up just a tiny tad and i tasted a small feather - spat phew. My husband just continued on as he hadn't even realized that a darn bird had just wacked my head/helmet. Never had a half helment and never intend to after that happened! Glad the dang thing didn't fall in my lap or i probably would have caused us to crash.

My husband and son had a close call with a flying turkey :shock: ! My husband said he actually had ducked down cause it was such a close call. Can u tell we live in the country (rural missouri). Anyhoo, just thought i add my two cents and let folks know that yeah it happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:40 pm 

Birds can be a very real road hazzard! So far in my travels over the decades I've taken out four birds. They way I figure it, if I get one more that would qualify me for Ace.

On the serious side, the first time a bird whacks your fork tubes it can really shake you up. I thought the front wheel was falling off until I saw the bird flopping on the groud in my mirror.
I've never had one whack my helmet! I can well imagine that would really tax one's composure.

'61 Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:09 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Shadow ACE (2003)
Rebel: None
State/Province: DE
RebelMe and Buickguy: thanks for the stories! I was wondering just how often that happened :0D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:45 pm 

City: Chandler
All I can say to that philosophy is I totally agree, and do it myself. So I have over 400,000 miles of practice, not just riding. Might account for why I have never had an accident. Many riders get just good enough to get by, and never try to learn more. Then when something unexpected happens, hopefully they get away with nothing more than a few days in the hospital. Unfortunately, that is rarely the case, and most suffer serious and permanent, or fatal injuries.

Post subject: Re: "Make every time you ride a lesson" - Duke
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 pm 

Motorcycle: 1989NX250
City: Green Valley
LaFazinator wrote:
My question is, has anyone ever been HIT by a bird or HIT ONE on a motorcycle?

Try this for the bird question:

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=23969

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:59 pm 

Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Rebel 450
Rebel: 450
State/Province: MD
City: Bowie
I agree with that philosophy pretty much 100%. I spend anytime I'm not riding with a passenger or in dangerous conditions to put skills to practice.
Practice avoiding any and everything, even if it's not a hazard as to keep my eyes and reactions sharp. I practice getting lost and figuring my way out, Leaning techniques, pretty much anything I can put to practice. The only thing that bothers me is I feel I'll wake up one day feeling too confident.

And wow. I totally haven't heard of anyone hitting a bird before. I tagged a doe in my XS at like 40, but luckily only hit her snout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:57 am 
Forum Moderator

I hit a crow in Iowa once. He hit the clutch lever and sprayed blood back on my left glove. It was much worse for the crow than for me. :D

The only other bird I remember hitting was a little Warbler that ended up wedged on my footpeg after hitting the front fork tube.

1996 Ducati 900SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:46 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Highway 341 between Brunswick and Jesup.

My brother cannot-- I repeat, _can not_-- run that stretch of road without hitting a bird. It's a semi-regular run for him, too. :lol:

Had a heron stuck bill-first in his thigh, a blue jay in the face, a couple of ducks to the knee, a buzzard that nearly took him off the bike, and numerous other flapping fauna strikes about the chest and shoulders.

So yeah: bird strikes are not that unusual. :lol: I suppose a lot of it has to do with location more than luck.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."