It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Is the Rebel 250 too small for touring?
Poll ended at Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:18 am
NO, Rebel 250 is the right size for touring. 70%  70%  [ 19 ]
YES, Rebel 250 is definitely too small. 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
DON'T KNOW? 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:19 am 

MillenniumRebel wrote:
try THIS ... yes, it was on a rebel ....

http://homepage2.nifty.com/junkoma/jpnaroundusa.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:32 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: Los Angeles
MillenniumRebel wrote:
MillenniumRebel wrote:
try THIS ... yes, it was on a rebel ....
http://homepage2.nifty.com/junkoma/jpnaroundusa.htm

MR, I translated this page from Japanese to English and it is on this forum somewhere. When I translated the Japanese.. It was this man planning a trip and a lot of "If I go, When I go, Should I go, How I would go, What I would take with me.. etc. He's trying to do this trip in June 2005 and talks about how would do this trip, what supplies he would bring with him, the path he will take, etc. etc.

No where in this link above does he actually say that he made the trip :(

With my experiences of touring on a Rebel, If I were to take this trip on a Rebel.. I have no doubt that it can be done :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:41 am 

and iirc someone found a follow up page where he sold the bike here and flew back home ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:38 pm 

MillenniumRebel, interesting :?: This man has just too many, "If I go, When I go, Should I go, How I would go, What I would take with me.. etc." which causes some doubts in me :? There is nowhere in his webpage of where he says, "I did go, I did this, etc."

Sean Weems below did a 4 corners, Alaska and parts of Canada using a Reflex 250.. and it is documented :idea:
http://www.scootertrip.com/fct/
People on the Reflex Yahoo groups did actually meet with him as he traveled on his Reflex.

I believe that the Rebel can travel distances because I did Interstate touring from Calif to NV and AZ.. and not claiming "I might go, I could go, I want to go, etc. :P " I did go and have the gas receipts, pictures, hotel bills, people I met to prove it.

In my experience of owning 4 Reflex scooters, the Rebel 250 powerband is better than the Reflex 250. That is why I believe that it is possible to do the 4 corners U.S. tour on a Rebel. But I won't claim that I did the 4 corners because I didn't actually make the trip, same as this man from Japan.

If you can send me a link to where this man actually says he did go on this trip and even some documentation or a few pictures that he indeed complete this trip, I would feel more confident that this man did indeed complete this trip that he outlined, including the gear that he claims he would use if he made the trip. He also claims to be working in the consulate and converts Yuans to Dollars.. so it is my guess that he was working in China in an Japanese Embassy as Japan uses Yens and not Yuans(China). Practical common sense, but no where on the page does he say where in China he worked in the consulate for Japan. I assume he is Japanese because his writing is in Japanese and Yuan is Chinese currency. Again I've already translated this whole Japanese text to English on this forum. If you can point to me where he actually completed this 4 corners trip in Japanese, I have no problems translating it into English :)

I hear a lot of "wannabee bikers" claiming that they want to tour on their bikes and are nothing, but 'weekend warriors' :wink: Nothing wrong with 'weekend warriors' :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:46 pm 

State/Province: OH
City: Columbus
I believe this guy actually made his trip. There's a page for each day of the trip, a journal of the day's travel or activities, and all expenses listed. There are some pictures on the pages too. A hell of a trip, and if it is just a plan, its incredibly detailed down to each gas stop, each meal, each bottle of Pepsi.

If you want to read it, below is a link to the translated home page. The translation is very weird to read. Like one of those instruction booklets for electronics that only sort of make sense.

Translated home page

When the page loads scroll down to the link "Itinerary". Click that and a page will appear which has a link for each day of the trip. Some of the pages do not load and an error in translation message is shown. Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:31 pm 

If he made the trip, he made the trip :roll: Anyway another reason why I affectionately call the Rebel a Rebel Wing :D because it has the ability to tour 8) 70% say you can tour on the Rebel and the other 28% say you can't or don't know and another 2% unaccounted for.

So those who plan on touring on the Rebel, Don't be shy :lol:

I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow and make an offer on my old Rebel. The Met50 is a good scooter, but I miss my Rebel :cry: No guarantees that I'll get the Rebel back, but I'm going to make an offer.

Another member of the forum Spydergirl, did something similar going from a Rebel, Vulcan 800, Can Am Spydor and went back to her Rebel. After my accident on my Rebel 2004, I had 3 Reflex 250s until buying my Rebel 2006. FYI, nothing new about people thinking they found a better bike than the Rebel only to return to the Rebel :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 pm 

I was really looking to my Rebel as the ultimate touring machine before the accident. In bumper-to-bumper L.A. traffic, bikes like the Goldwing, VTX1800 are a pain to drive in daily commuting. Even my M50(819cc) is a bit awkward on a day-to-day basis.

I love motorcycle touring, but don't want spend 10+k to 20+k on a touring motorcycle.. plus insurance, etc. that I have to muscle around in bumper-to-bumper. I would have had no problems touring on my former Hayabusas, but those were stolen :x

My Rebel touring days are over :oops:
*Renting a Touring Bike* I now find that motorcycles from Goldwings, Harleys, Honda VTX1800/Shadow 1100, etc. can be rented. It's not cheap, but cheaper than buying the Goldwing, servicing, insuring, maintaining, etc. I see this as my quick fix to my love on motorcycle touring :roll:

I had a Rebel 2004 then three Honda Reflexes before I bought my Rebel 2006. So I still plan on getting another Rebel and hoping it gets a dose of fuel injection :D

Just a *bump* on this thread that Rebel touring is a great experience for those who plan to tour on their Rebels this summer. The 30t sprocket change allowed me to cruise at an indicated 75-80mph all day slowing only on steep inclines and strong headwinds.. stopping only for gas, food and sleep. The stock 33t allowed me to tour comfortably at an indicated 70-75mph all day.

For over 16,000+mi in 2 years, the Rebel had no problems with the engine, electrical, etc. Regular maintenance, regular oil change and gas was all the Rebel asked for :)

Post subject: Re: Touring on the Rebel 250
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:58 pm 

Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Rebel
Rebel: 250
State/Province: TX
City: Houston
I am 70 years old and drove semi's from '72 - '84 in every state in the US and when I started there were very Interstates and that included Cajon Pass, back in those days trucks could barely pull it and you had better have you s....... together going either way, brakes on fire or can't down shift fast enough.

If you want to take one on for the hell of it, take 95 north from Vegas to Tonopah then take hwy 50 north to Austin, NV and I have been across there twice going north and never again, I have no idea what the grade was or maybe still is but Cajon is nothing for as grades go!

There are plenty that are a lot worse than Cajon, the trip from LA to Vegas was a cake walk after you got to Victorville. It is like the old song "I have been everywhere man," I just went out there last year and drove from LA to Vegas to drive across the new Bridge in stead of driving the old road across the dam. There is another bad one and it is from Escondido on hwy 78 going East to Poway then over to Brawley and El Centro, CA.

I cannot imagine anyone considering riding a Rebel or any small engine motorcycle on grades like those, the first time I went down Cajon driving a 220 Cummin's Engine with a 4x4 tranny late at night, I could see all the brakes on fire. I still have a picture that I took 1/2 down and the smoke was boiling our from under the tractor and trailer. I have seen several loaded trucks blown over on Cajon Pass, no way jose would I attempt to ride a small bike going either way but going west and downhill is better than going east and uphill, regardless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

City: San Dimas (la County)
cannot imagine? well, then, thanks, 112, for the compliment -- i rode my 1985 rebel (one of the first made -- see another thread on this site somewhere) on the laughlin river run in 2005 from san dimas, up cajon.

only real problems -- fog and clouds and cold on the way up, just plain cold on the way back (after leaving the river in april with summer like temperatures) and those pesky honey bees that got in my helmet flap on interstate 40 eastbound on the way there. (just one sting -- had a russian sunglasses vendor in laughlin pick out the stinger for me. probably should have spent more time in her booth, looking back.)

stopped for gas in victorville in a mobil station on the way back -- crosswinds were tough getting up the hill that time of day -- told two guys on harleys "i'll be honest with you guys, that last stretch was kinda hard on this bike."

one of them said "you rode all the way to laughlin on a 250? well, i'll be honest with YOU -- that last stretch was tough on these, too."

next stop was when i had to put my foot down on the freeway offramp in san dimas and my leg was so cold i literally had to work it with my hand to get a foot down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:38 am 

State/Province: WA
City: Central
No problem touring on a Rebel. If my Rebel can make it up Beartooth Pass, it'll do Cajon & Tejon with no problems (yes, I've been over both of those numerous times).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6