It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Starting Gear
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:36 pm 

I searched around for a thread similar to this, but nothing popped up. I'm getting a 05 Rebel(250) in two weeks. I'm just curious to a good set of protective gear and if there is a place online I can order the full set at once. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:50 am 

Rebel: 250
try a search. lots of info already here. www.newenough.com is a good site.

2002 Honda VT1100C3 Shadow Aero (sold)
2004 Honda S2000 (4-wheeled motorcycle)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:02 am 

State/Province: CA
City: Azusa (socal)
Hi faded,
Welcome to the forum. How much ya wanna $pend?
When I started riding, I looked for the least expensive full face helmet I could find - I believe it cost $125 and lasted 6 months using it every day.
I got a suit, http://www.aerostich.com/home.php , (don't get a black one!) and some boots at Big5 - they have boots on sale for around $30. I got Olympia gloves - about $60.
Since then, I have addded a mesh jacket, mesh and fabric overpants, leather jacket, more gloves, and an ICON vest. I went through several more inexpensive helmets before ending up with a Shoei with a tinted lens.
I figure the more comfy I am while riding, the safer rider I will be.
It's good that you get used to wearing gear from the start. Sometimes it gets tempting to ride with only a jacket and helmet, but then I read about someones near miss or accident...
Best regards,
NuBiker

edited to fix the link

Last edited by NuBiker on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:05 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Plano (dallas)
Indeed.

In my most recent unscheduled departure from the seat of my KLR, I'm convinced I would have ended up with a broken elbow if it were not for the sizable pads in my Motoboss mesh jacket.

Also, if I'd not been wearing a helmet there's a good chance that if I were still here today, I'd have some bad facial disfigurement.

Don't forget about the gloves, and always use a good supportive boot with stiff ankle supports... no low top sneakers, please. Your ankles are complicated enough without bone fragments floating around in there.

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:48 pm 

State/Province: NJ
City: Woodbridge
Faded,

Plenty of places online to buy gear... newenough.com has good prices and good selection, as recommended by other people.

Just consider the following when you order:

1. A good quality full face helmet may save your face and brain if hitting the ground is imminent :shock:
2. Armored gear will protect from road rash and future skin grafts. My husband and I have had Joe Rocket but now have Tourmaster (the dealership people told us the quality is much better... and it seems to be true, just from side-by-side comparisons)
3. Good, solid over-the-ankle boots will help to save your ankles and feet in the event of a mishap
4. Armored gloves will do for your hands what the armored jacket will do for your shoulders, elbows, forearms and back/kidneys

After you put all of this gear on, you may be exhausted, but you'll be safer! :D

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:18 pm 

Don't forget garage sales...especially if you have the time/patience to get something cheap before you take the course or get your license. Also if you need a cheap set of decent boots, check out Payless!

Your mileage may vary, but here's how I got my gear...keep in mind I had about 30 days of prep time before I took the MSF course. If your timing is right and you have the time to shop, there are awesome bargains out there...especially if you can shop around January - March, when the winter stuff is on sale post-Christmas!

Gloves - Got a pair of black leather gloves with Thinsulate for $12 on a sale in January, at a "going out of business" sale...they work great although I want a set of 'armored' gloves specific to riding. Retail price was $25.

Jacket - I'll admit I got super lucky on this one. Picked up a Wilson's Leather cycle jacket for $25 at a garage sale. My girl and I were walking our dog, Brian, and she wanted to check out a garage sale down our street. I figured it would be full of baby clothes and other stuff that is (currently) useless for us. However I was really surprised to see a like-new cycle jacket for $50, the guy apparently just had a kid and was selling some gear, so I managed to talk him down to $25 and picked it up!

Retail price was $250 at Wilsons Leather store, but currently I see a sale for $150! Never underestimate leather for cold weather riding, this thing is fantastic...my body is incredibly warm even in 20 degree weather!

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/i ... age=family

Boots - I walked into a Payless store near me, and got a set of nice leather boots from Stanley for $20. They have a non-skid rubber sole, posts so you can lace up to your ankles, and have long enough laces to tuck into the boot after tying them...important considering I almost dumped a bike during the MSF course when the laces got hung up on the transmission...I almost panicked and barely avoided falling on my backside.

The lesson hear is that you can get a decent set of warm, leather, cycle-oriented gear for about $100 if you shop around and are patient. Naturally, I went shopping for gear about a month before I NEEDED it, which was helpful when looking for bargains.

Good luck! If you have the time and patience before riding, looking for gear at stores and garage sales can save you a bundle if you just know what you'll need ahead of time.

I never expect to find a Wilsons leather cycle jacket for $25 again, but considering my MSF instructor still wore his leather jacket form 1969, I bet I don't won't ever need another one!

Drew

EDIT: I am using a Snell helmet borrowed from a friend who has an equally-large head. I want to get the basic DOT one recommended by Sportrider.com but that'll have to wait until I have the budget.

Post subject: Re: Starting Gear
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:32 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
The above post doesn't seem top be very motorcycle related. Fashion clothing. Leather Up has modest prices if you need leather motorcycle gear; I think that much of the leather and sewing is from/done in Pakistan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
John, you make a good point, but this thread is more than 11 years old now.
When I was younger, I was pretty tight with a dollar when it came time to buy riding gear. Now, I understand that good stuff costs money, and if you go cheap you have cheap stuff that is nothing like good stuff when it gets cold, wet, or you get off the bike before it comes to a normal stop.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:14 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Jim:

There was a spam post right above John's. I believe that is the one he was referring to; I removed it earlier.

------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Ahhhh OK that makes sense then.. I would have removed John's post as well and sent a PM to explain... MAybe we should delete all the recent stuff on this thread.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:19 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
...or perhaps we need to go over the concept of "DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM" again. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28705

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:39 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
But Shack, I did offer an alternative source for leather gear.