Rebel: 250
State/Province: MA
City: Southbridge
dare i say...holy spamming?lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:39 pm 

State/Province: NM
City: Albuquerque
Cheng, my man, you still got me down for 2 of each? I've got a fat payday coming in from this Nigerian prince...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:12 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
You know, I ask this every single time, but because I'm stupid and I hate myself, I'm going to do it again:

When someone does go to all the effort to spam this place (which is rare, because anymore, it has to be done _manually_ ), the "watch this thread" option is _always_ selected. Always.

They don't expect sales from the spam. Anything they get from the posts is just gravy.

What they want is lists of active boards, which are then sold to thousands of other spammers, which are sold again and again and again...

You get the idea.

They make the post (or posts) and then move on. The only thing they leave is the "watch this thread" button. That's how they find out if a board is still active (these things die instantly, and with alarming regularity. The lifespan of our board is something truly unusual on the internet).

When the thread gets replied to, their little bots get messages that say "hey, this board is still active," and our site gets harvested and tossed into the "put it on the list and sell it" list, and I spend the next month or so cleaning filters, pulling clogs, and generally wasting large chunks of my life. The more replies, the more "active" the list is reported to be, the more the address is worth, and the more people will buy it, making it an even bigger chore to shore up against the results.

This is the reason I have asked-- repeatedly-- that when you see spam, _don't_ reply to it.

Seriously: we all know it's spam, and it will be dealt with when one of the Admin stumbles across it. We all have lives, so it doesn't happen right away, but it _will_ happen. If you have an un-fightable urge to do something, pick and Admin and drop them a PM or an e-mail. Replying to the spam, however, just makes the problem worse. We can see it's spam. It doesn't take clairvoyant powers or an unusually astute observational talent to identify it as spam. We don't need tags or confirmation that it's spam, and we will deal with it as soon as it's discovered.

Thanks.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:03 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Good reminder there, Duke. Unfortunately, I was away doing real stuff yesterday (as, apparently, was the rest of the Admin staff) , and didn't get a chance to see and eliminate the spam til yesterday evening.

Biozombie: Good luck with the Nigerian thing. :wink:

brent