Post subject: What's going on here?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:41 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
I've been in a snit all day:

I'm way behind on a couple of papers I have to write, the kids have become possessed by demons, the wife is the wife, and most of all--

I log on here last night, figuring to do a once-around-the-board before getting back to work--

and this place is filled with bile!

I mean _bile_!

What's going on? We've got people insulting each other's bikes, making snide remarks about each other's riding habits, all kinds of petty little nastiness. Here! On this board! The A-number one rule here is to be nice to each other.

You want to make a good-natured funny, that's fine. You want to make a snarky remark about something "out there," fine. We all need to blow off steam now and again. But what happened here yesterday was _unconscionable!_ Be nice to each other. Certainly there are matters of fact where there are only a select few "correct" answers. But in matters of opinion, there are _no_ correct answers, and if one opinion contradicts yours, so what? You can state your opinion (I do like it; I wouldn't do this myself; I think I'd prefer another color) in a friendly, non-insulting way.

I really don't get it. We haven't had a single incident that wasn't a simple misunderstanding and easily resolved since MR left. Not _one_ incident in over a year! Then suddenly I've got nearly a dozen people trying to fill in the gap. Folks, that position is _not_ open, and never will be.

You want to share things in peace and security, then feel free to do so here. You want to go around smacking each other with brick bats, do so elsewhere. This _is_ the internet, and whining, complaints, and ignorant snarking _are_ it's primary purpose. There's sure to be something out there for everyone.

I'm going to chalk it up to everyone in this hemisphere having had a really bad day yesterday. But can we make a little effort to remember that there are real people behind these posts?

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."