Post subject: Librarians Wanted
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:06 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
There is something that I have been wanting to do here for years,

and unfortunately, the bigger this site gets, the harder it is for me to find time for even the simplest of tasks around here.

So I'm soliciting some help.

I can give you the long pre-amble, or I can go to the short version. In fact, here's the short version:

This site has, in last couple of years, begun to drift more and more away from it's core purpose. The convultion and constant repetition of many of the threads, questions, etc, have only exacerbated the problem.

Here's what I've been _trying_ to do-- some evidence of it can be found here and there from over the years:

Put things where they go.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a few people with time or skill (or hey-- both!) on their hands to help me go through the key sections of this board:

Wrench Bending
Rebels Without a Causeway
FAQ

And put them 'right.' That is, make them the repositories they were meant to be.

Pretty much it means going through the old posts, moving them where they ought to be (lots of cross-posting; we all do it ;) ), and if the thread is -say-- two years old or more, cull the 'chaff' off it: the jokes, the conversational stuff, etc. Then merge like stuff with like stuff, to create a single thread or group of threads where that stuff can be both archived and more easily referenced and retrieved.

It's mostly housecleaning, but it's a really big house ;)

Anyone interested, give a shout. We don't necessarily need one person to spend months doing this, but a few here and there, willing to putter now and then-- can make a huge difference.

Thanks. (oh, and you get to have a nifty little "Librarian" rank tag under your name, if I can figure out how to do that ;) )

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."