It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Helmet Storage
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:31 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005
Rebel: 250
State/Province: wa
City: PNW
The helmets in the house are starting to multiply (kinda like my shoes......). Helmets for motorcycling, bicycling, skiing, welding, walking in traffic, etc.

Every time I went to one of the box home stores, I 'd look in the 'storage' section and think about what would work to keep everything contained.

Motorcycle Consumer News always has a gadget review on the back cover of the magazine, and last month (or the month before...) the guy had purchased a couple of those panels that you bolt to the wall and insert hooks or whatever to hold tools, tape, etc. His was the silver colored industrial looking one. I found a Gladiator setup at Lowes. The panels are white (and paintable!!).

I bought three panels to start, along with two boxes of hooks.

One of these days, when I repaint the spare room, I'll paint the panels to match. In the mean time, white will do. This is two panels. Need a couple more for the rest of the herd.

These are the panels. They happened to be on sale for $8.00 each.
http://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/ski ... Category=3

These are the hooks. 4 of each to a box, $9.00. The small hooks work with the chin strap, the long hooks are just long enough for the chin piece.
http://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/ski ... Category=4

This will be the main 'storage' spot for the ones that don't get used daily. For the daily gear, I have one of these:

Its a wooden bicycle holder. Helmet goes on one arm, the 'stich goes on the other. Basket on the shelf holds gloves, under that is a shoebox for winter hats and such.

Post subject: Re: Helmet Storage
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
I use the helmet rack that came on the BMW. It has one on each handlebar. :D

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 pm 

No way I'm gonna leave clothing/helmets in my garage. uh uh, no way. Occasionally birds will get stuck in there, I usually find one or two dead ones every few months, and three years ago, when we came back from a two week vacation, there was a sticky lump that I think was once a cat. (It was in the 100's while we were gone). Snakes, mice, bugs, etc. We usually try to roll the door down when we're not in it, but sometimes, during the summer, we get lazy.

I DO have a couple of helmets in the garage right now, but they are wrapped up and tucked away in plastic containers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:11 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Actually, Dee, your set-up reminds me of the set-up the wife made me toss out many moons ago (it was a requirement of getting married, you see). I had my den lined with all my beat-up and mangled helmets from racing accidents. Evidently, she found it a bit macabre. Go figure. :roll eyes:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
Man, Jim! those danged BMWs come with ALL the bells and whistles!
Deeg: does my old heart good to finally see someone else owns a yellow helmet as gaudy and (hopefully) noticeable as my Shoei.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:27 am 

That's a Nolan N102. Gaudy yes. More visible? i don't know about that..... I don't wear it anymore because its so stinking loud and the exterior shade visor is kinda useless.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
City: Rusagonis
My riding buddies tell me they can see my head from a LOOOOONG distance. On the other hand, school buses are the same colour, and every year a few chowderheads manage to run into them.
I've heard that same complaint (noisy) about the Nolans; my Shoei is pretty quiet (although loud in a 'colour' sort of way).