It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bilt Motorcycle Products
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: San Marcos
I got a flier in the mail from cyclegear.com. This time the mag was heavily focused on Bilt motorcycle products (street/racing/luggage/helmets), and the prices were super-cheap. For example, i'm looking at tank bags. Initially i was going to go with what my buddy has been letting me use (http://www.bikebandit.com/tour-master-n ... e-tank-bag). At $80.00, its not cheap but its inline with most other bags and i like the quality and size. I thought I had made up my mind, until . . . http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L ... L_BLLG1-BZ

Me, being a nerd, broke down the cost per cubic inch and found that there is almost 4.5x difference. I'm familiar with Tour Master, like their quality, and understand I'm paying for a name as well, but was curious to see if anyone has any experience with Bilt.

1985 Rebel 250 -- Gone

Post subject: Re: Bilt Motorcycle Products
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Go whole-hog with your inner geek, but follow it to the logical conclusion:

You aren't buying the empty space inside the bag. Break it down by surface volume and materials density. ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:33 pm 

State/Province: Fl
City: Orlando
I just got the same cyclegear catalog in the mail, ordered a Bilt full face helmet. It's not saddle bag, but I'll let you know on the material quality and such if you like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:46 pm 

That would be awesome. I appreciate it.

1985 Rebel 250 -- Gone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 pm 

So the helmet is here, and to say the least, I'm quite disappointed.

First thing that jumped out was the outer shell's vents. It has shinny chicken fence covering them. Chicken fence. I mean, that's the same crap my car's body kit has. I didn't like it at all, I thought it was cheap and classless.

Second was the padding, or lack there off. the padding inside is light, fluffy, and missing. I can see the inner shell of the helmet in at least 5 spots. It feels like they cheap out on the padding, and while it's not necessarily what will safe your life, it is what makes the helmet comfortable to wear.

Third thing has two parts but is all related to size. First off, the helmet is HUGE. Like, monstrous big. I placed it next to my 3/4 helmet and the thing dwarfed the 3/4 helmet, even though this one is a medium and the 3/4 is a large (yes, the new helmet is a full face helmet, but still, thing is pretty big). Second, the website said to order the helmet one size smaller than what you wear, because the helmet runs big (no kidding). Well, it fit fine, but I guess they left out the fact that some of us, if not all, ride with shades on. I have to wear prescription sunglasses during the morning and glasses at night, and I could barely wedge my glasses into the helmet, let alone my shades (I actually gashed my face trying to put the shades on lol).

So there you have it. My overall rating of the helmet is a 5/10, but for $50, you get what you paid for. I just talked to customer service about a return, and they weren't very classy or friendly either, so add that to the list of things.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:05 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Pictures?

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:22 pm 

So would you compare it to the old Bell helmets you find at walmart? I noticed a resemblence in style. They also had the same enormous shell size and just had different cheek pad sizes. The thing made me look like dark helmet.
I ask because the helmet quality was abysmal but the gloves have lasted me over a year, and for 9.99 that isn't bad. For 20.00, I'm willing to chance quality issues on the tank bag. I appreciate the follow up post.

1985 Rebel 250 -- Gone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Have a look here:
http://www.soundrider.com/news_bytes.htm
Note: I don't have a dog in this fight; I've never heard of Bilt helmets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 pm 

Motorcycle: 08 Royal Enfield Electra
City: Fort Lauderdale
My wife has a Cortech tank bag for her Rebel and she paid $59.95. Great bag with plenty of room and it came with a rain cover that really works.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:45 pm 

Duke, I'll get some tomorrow and see as to posting them.

Trip, I think that is a fair comparison. Although I think the wally world helmets are a bit thinner and of less quality. The quality is not horrible with these helmets, but you can tell they are entry priced hardware. As far as the gloves, I've been looking at them, and they seem decent. I'm going to stop by the cycle gear store to exchange the helmet possibly on Thursday, I'll see if I can get you a review/personal opinion on their gloves. As far as the bag, I wouldn't be able to judge. I know that some companies put effort into one product and not a whole lot of attention into others, so the bag might be a good investment. And like you said, for 20 bucks, might as well take a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:31 pm 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
Miss Dottie uses a smallish Cortech tank bag. It fit the Rebel and Vulcan well. I like the clear map pouch, It has gadget holders (pens, cards, keys) on the inside of the iid.
Mine is a Rapid Transit, Recon 11. I have used it daily for two plus years and it still looks and works like new. It has an attached rain cover that rolls up into a pouch at the front of the bag. These are both small day bags but our bikes have hard luggage so all we carry in the tank bag is what we want to take inside with us.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:35 am 
Forum Moderator

Dan: how does the Recon 11 magnetic attachment system work at higher speeds? Nice and tight?
thx
brent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:31 am 
Best Loser!

Very good adhesion, on the Versys only two of the magnets touch metal and it doesn't move. With all four magnets touching on Connie it takes effort to pull off.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:59 am 
Forum Moderator

And you're overall pretty pleased with it?
brent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:49 am 
Best Loser!

Yes.
The center opening isn't big, sometimes I need to almost empty the bag to find things. It's okay for me as the things in it are not used everyday just stuff I want to have in just case on whichever bike I decide to ride.
Wallet, and cell phone fit in one side pouch, the center has a couple of multi tools, swiss army knife, small flashlight, aspirin, note pad, pens, spare smokes and lighter, just the stuff I might need.

It does have the option to carry a water bladder like a Camelback, I haven't pursued that.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:15 pm 

So I checked on the Bilt bag today (I changed my helmet at the store for a seven zero seven helmet) and I have to say, why did Bilt did not put as much effort on the helmet as they did on the bag?

The bag itself is pretty nifty. Has decent space/storage capacity (5 litters I think the sign said), the seams are well done and to the inside, and it's small and ergonomic enough to fit in your tank without getting in the way. Alas, the installation is a pain. You have to remove the entire seat to place the posterior straps, and then wrap the front strap around the frame in some awkward way. So, if you are getting the non magnetic Bilt tank bag, be ready for some tooling. Oh, and the strap stay when you remove the bag from the bike, so be aware of strap whips.

The magnetic bag, on the other hand, is very nice. It's a bit bigger (holds 7 litters), and can expand to a very decent sized bag (10 litters). The magnets are very strong (the dude threw it against a metal wall and the thing just stuck there solid) and the manufacturing is about the same as the smaller bag.

So there, if you're thinkign of getting a Bilt bag, I would suggest you dishing out he extra ten bucks and going with the magnetic expandable bag. Worth the dough IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:53 pm 

I appreciate the heads up on the tank bags. Magnetic definitely seems worth the extra $$$. Now i just need to make a trip to Cycle Gear to check out the gloves. If the rest of Bilt's non-helmet gear matches the tank bag quality I shouldn't be too disappointed.

1985 Rebel 250 -- Gone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 pm 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
Rebel: None
City: Fort Worth
Quote:
First thing that jumped out was the outer shell's vents. It has shinny chicken fence covering them. Chicken fence. I mean, that's the same crap my car's body kit has. I didn't like it at all, I thought it was cheap and classless.

I wouldn't equate it to chicken wire. I actually like the mesh. It'll help keep bugs from getting in the helmet while riding.

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
I got the same catalog, and checked some of the stuff out (I have a Cycle Gear store just a few miles away) It is definitely bargain basement stuff, IMO comparable to Walmart qualitywise. I think Cycle Gear is going to give themselves a bad reputation by peddling this stuff. I will buy any full face helmet as long as it's white and has a DOT sticker on it, because IMO it provides the same protection as a much more expensive helmet, probably MORE protection in a real world accident than a Snell helmet. It may not last as long before it starts to fall apart, but I've found a lot of that depends on how it is treated. And as I've stated before, my main reasons for wearing a helmet are comfort, visibility, and protection from airborne debris, including birds. My next helmet may be a modular type. I can add convenience to my list.

But as far as the rest of that stuff, I didn't much care for it. It looks and feels cheap. Chinese sweat shop stuff for sure.

As for tankbags, I have a Cortech 14L, and even though it cost $120, I do not regret buying it at all. It is the best tankbag I've ever owned. And it fits my Rebel, Ninja 500, and Vulcan 750 just fine. You just can't go wrong with this tankbag, it's worth every penny.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:06 pm 

Rebel: None
State/Province: Hi
City: Keaau
I bought the inexpensive Bilt rain coat, rain pants, and waterproof riding boots($39.95). Seems fine to me. We'll see how the boots wear, but they are cofortable AND waterproof. I've paid $40.00 for boots that were supposed to be waterproof from Big5 Sporsting goods, and they were a joke.

Haven't looked at ther helmets or anything else though.

Jon