It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: MT-723 Radio
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:58 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

State/Province: MD
City: Woodsboro
I received some humorous reading with my latest "Let's try more CHEAP Chinese Products". This weeks episode revolves around my new MT-723 FM Radio - Better know on eBay as the "Motorcycle FM Radio/Speaker Stereo Amplified Waterproof".

Here's my review of this radio. I'll begin with the product photos.
ImageImage
ImageImage

And on to the review!

I have been eying this "type" of radio for a little while now. Originally it came with an analog tuner but I see it's been upgraded to full digital tuner. They dropped the AM frequency band and have now provided three sets of memory channels each containing 5 pre-sets. Basically, that's a total of 15 user programmable channels.

The speakers and radio unit were actually better looking than I had expected. The mounting hardware is pretty poor and completely as expected. The radio has the mounting bracket screwed to the back of the radio. It appears that the radio can have additional mounting brackets as the sides of the radio contain slots. In the user's manual there are two installation instructions, one for "Women's Motorcycle" and the other for "Men's Motorcycle" The difference is that the Women's shows different brackets and includes a bezel where as the Men's is what comes with the basic package as shown in the above photos. The basic mounting concept is that you would mount the lower bracket to the handlebar clamp. I put the radio on my Goldwing and this option would not work with they way the handlebar clamp screws in. The brackets for the speakers are very thin metal. They do a good job of holding the speakers to the handle bars, though.

I mounted the speakers on the down part of the handle bars, but had a hard time figuring out how to mount the radio. I settled on using Velcro wrapped around the bracket and upper part of the left handle bar. My idea was that if it were to start raining I could quickly remove the radio and stash it in the faux tank compartment. The radio and speakers are listed as waterproof. I'm a little suspicious of that though and hope not to find out. ( I wouldn't want to rune my investment! LOL)

Wiring the radio was rather easy. There's only 3 wires - one negative and two positives. One of the positives runs the radio, the other must be mounted to power all the time as it controls the memory function and clock. For my initial installation I just wired both positives to the accessory terminal. I didn't care about the memory or clock at the moment. I'm not even sure if I'll keep the radio on the bike, move it to the Rebel or just put it in my work office... If I do decide to keep it I may wire it in properly.

There's a GLOWING Yellow Antenna wire. When I get a moment this is going to be changed to black as to make it less noticeable. Just using this wire as my antenna I was able to pick up several of the local radio stations, but I believe a better antenna would greatly improve the reception. I'll have to research that when I get more time. Again, that was not much of a priority.

Operating the radio I was surprised at the volume produced by the small, 2" speakers. The volume control goes from 0 to 15. With the bike not running the radio is plenty loud enough to hear at the 1 setting. At setting 15 it's pretty loud. There's not a lot of bass but if you're riding down the road I don't suspect you'd miss it that much.

As for riding down the road, I found that if I ride with my face shield up I could hear the radio on volume 13 through 15 moderately well. However, closing my face shield really inhibited me from hearing the radio at highway speeds. On the slower back roads, though it was not much of a problem. I'm planning on trying some different configurations of the speakers to see if I can direct them at my ears a little better. Perhaps directing them towards the Windshield and allowing the sound to bounce back may be a good option.

The radio comes with the "BND" which selects FM1, FM2 and FM3. Each of these allows programming of up to 5 "MEM" channels. An additional button labled "AMS" puts the radio into a scan mode. The user manual states that the radio will pause for 5 seconds and will store 15 channels if held in for a long time.

The LCD Screen is back-lit and is just large enough to be easily readable while riding. There's also a headphone jack and an AUX Input jack that have a rubber plug to help keep the water out.

The User Manual is pretty humorous. I had a good time reading the Chinglish. Most of the sentences were fine, but nearly every paragraph had some grammatical errors.

- After install the unit at the first time, the unit will be on power off. LCD will show clock. It can transfer power on/off when press this button. The power on condition is the last working condition: radio or AUX condition. At the first power on: The unit will be on radio condition if Press in show time. And will close if press in long time.

- Volume +Button In this condition of playing music and radio, it can increase volume when press this button.

- Upwards search button - In the radio condition, it will search frequency upwards if press < shortly. The scope can be adjusted is 87.5-108.0. It will search stations haftly if press in long time, it can search upwards on one available station.

Well, you get the idea...

I paid a whopping $17.99 for my radio and $7.99 S/H. Larger speakers are probably the only thing this radio really needs. I'm pretty happy with my radio and am looking forward to finding a better way of mounting it!

1986 Honda CMX450C - Jola
1978 Honda GL1000 - Piper

Post subject: Re: MT-723 Radio
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:20 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda VT 600 Shadow vlx
Rebel: None
State/Province: TN
City: Chattanooga
I was wondering if you still had a copy of the manual for this radio. My bike came with the speakers already attached but the radio was handed to me and not hooked up. The former owner said he never did get it to work (not sure he tried much though) and I'd like to see if I'm doing it right before I chuck the thing in the trash. :D If you still have it would it be possible to email me a copy?

Thanks in advance,

~Meredith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:31 am 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
Rebel: 450
State/Province: PA
City: Marietta
Paul, unless I missed it, which is entirely possible, I didn't see anything about what the power consumption is. Having been down this road I would tend to warn off those thinking about this until we find out if the Rebel can handle it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:42 pm 

State/Province: VA
City: Richmond
Maximum speaker output is 2X 6W. The radio itself draws something.

'07 Suzuki Boulevard C90 Lehman trike