Post subject: Miscusi's Reviews: FROGG TOGGS DRIDUCKS
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:24 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: 1985 Rebel 250 - 1999 ACE 750
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NY
City: New York

I got one set of these in yellow. after riding in the rain many times, and more recently one extended rain ride through Jersey at 50 MPH with the rain pelting me like BB gun shots:

REVIEW:

These are great for emergency suits, will keep you dry enough to get home or what have you.

I find the plain bottom of the pants to be not as desireable as the elastic bottom or velcro ones found in other styles of frogg toggs and other makes.

The Jacket is of good quality, bit the zipper is not water proof, when riding fast and in heavy rain, the front of my T shirt was soaked through.

something like this, which you can pick up for less than 20 bucks on ebay, makes for a great alternative to a cheap emergency poncho, and or for short trips in the rain.

The material is strong enough for now, but it is thin. I dont know how long this would hold up, but its holding on pretty good for on and off use 3 months and counting...

for longer trips I would want a pants that has elastic or Velco adjustable bottoms, a jacket with a waterproof zipper.. But I know such would cost more.

thanks for reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Honda Magna 750
State/Province: MI
City: Clinton Township
Frogg Toggs are the best.

i have an orange jacket, and black pants (which do have the elastic at the bottom).

on my recent trip to Georgia, i encountered a ton of rain my first day riding. like the entire first day riding.

i started out with the jacket over my riding jacket, and, because it was cooler than i expected, i opted for my First Gear, all weather, wind resistant, waterproof, motorcycle specific over pants.

after a few hundred miles, while i wasn't completely soaked, there were places my pants were wet. mostly at the sides where they zipper/velcro top to bottom.

on my second day, i had been rained on, on and off randomly throughout the day and up till i actually crossed the border into Georgia, i had not worn any rain gear. once in Georgia the rain had kicked up quite a bit so i put on my Frogg Toggs, jacket and pants.

i tell ya, they kept me completely dry. i must have ridden 150-200 miles, mostly doing 75 mph, and still . . completely dry.

i love my Frogg Toggs.

i do tho, have one small problem with them, which is only added to because of my short legs.

the material is not completely heat resistant. you let them sit against the pipes too long and they melt away right quick. had i longer legs, i might be able to keep my feet further out away from the pipes . . . but i do not, and can't.

so far, i've not melted a hole in them, you can tell where i've touched them to the hot bike.

they do have a heat patch available but i haven't bought and tried it yet.

other than that, i really love my Frogg Toggs. :D

deanna r.w.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:07 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
I love mine, too.

Discovered them completely by accident at a Wing Ding that was in Daytona concurrent to Bike Week one year (I was in town to attend a rally at Jack's).

I mentioned them to Howard at the rally, who told me they were the absolute greatest thing ever for rain gear, so the next day, I owned a set. Mine are very old now-- at the time, there was only one "style" of Frogg Togg. :lol: Any color you wanted, as long as you wanted white. :lol: :lol:

I can tell you the demonstration _was_ tempting when I first stumbled across them; it was _so_ good, that I just _knew_ there was a gimmick! :shock:

I've been running them for years (on the rare occasion that I actually wear rain-gear-- usually cross-country trips when I might be in it for hours at a time-- and I have _never_ been more than lightly wet on the chest (I tend to agree with miscusi that the rainfly for the zipper-- while effective enough for most purposes-- _could_ stand to be a bit wider and feature more than three snaps ;).

They are the only rain gear I've ever worn that I didn't feel like I was sitting in a sauna, no matter how hot the weather, and if you're really mindful of your rainfly, you can actually stay dry; it's about adjusting your posture to suit the conditions.

I have spent _hundreds_ of dollars on various rain gear over the year, and I have _never_ had anything as effective (or easy to pack) as Frogg Toggs. Why I didn't take them on the Typhoon Tour is totally beyond me... :roll: (well, I had my "around town" jacket I had just waxed, and wanted to test it out. If I had known what we had in store, I'd have Frogg Togged it for sure! :lol:)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:34 pm 

Motorcycle: 2002 V Star 650 Custom
Rebel: 450
State/Province: OH
City: Albany
I have been thinking about getting a set of Frogg Toggs. My husband and I actually tried some on in a store recently. I almost bought just the pants (my mesh Cortech jacket has a waterproof liner, so I don't really need another jacket), but as we were talking about them another customer overheard us talking about the Frogg Togg's and said that a couple of friends of his bought them and were very dissapointed with them. I guess they wore them on a very long and very wet ride and they ended up being soaked. I don't know which "model" they had though.

In any case my husband ended buying a Tourmaster one-piece rainsuit and I decided to shop around a bit before I buy rain pants. However, since you guys give these things rave reviews I am thinking I shoulda just bought the darn pants anyway. (They were the ones that had elastic around the bottom hem.)

Oh, darn. I guess I will have to go shopping for gear again... :D

Therapy Is Expensive...Wind is Cheap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:11 pm 

Motorcycle: Suzuki V-Strom DL650K9
Rebel: None
State/Province: KY
City: Louisville
In April I purchased a Tyvek Suit, er, set of Frogg Toggs, what they call, Leep Frogg. They are Royal Blue and black with reflective piping. Came with a little carry bag and they fit in my right side saddle bag.

Have not had the chance to use them yet. They are there primarily for emergency but I am wanting (yes, me :shock: ) to ride in the rain and try them out.

I hear great things about them!

The price was right so I picked them up from these guys:

https://www.powersportsuperstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TR50-6091

Frogg Togg details:

[url]http://www.froggtoggs.com/store/choose.asp?ItemNum=FT1122&ItemType=%[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:26 pm 
Forum Administrator

tigerlily wrote:
another customer overheard us talking about the Frogg Togg's and said that a couple of friends of his bought them and were very dissapointed with them. I guess they wore them on a very long and very wet ride and they ended up being soaked. I don't know which "model" they had though.

I have a difficult time taking a negative review of _anything_ at face value, simply because so many people go out of their way to complain about things, and in general I just don't find the same problems they did.

However...

I almost _never_ consider a negative review on rain gear unless it's someone I know extremely well, and in actual 3-D land. The reason being-- and bear with me here; it sounds rude, but it's completely sincere-- is that in forty-odd years of riding, I have discovered that over 2/3 of the riders I have met are too flippin' STUPID to actually know how to properly utilize rain gear for going down the road. Most of them seem to think it's the same as dressing up for a walk in the rain.

It flatly _isn't_.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:02 pm 

Motorcycle: 2002 V Star 650 Custom
Rebel: 450
State/Province: OH
City: Albany
You're right Duke. I suspect they either waited until they were already wet to put on the raingear :lol: or they didn't have it properly fastened in the appropriate places. Some people are just hopeless :roll:

I hope our "rainy season" is done here now, maybe I won't need to bother with rain pants, at least not right this minute. I don't mind getting wet as long as it's on the way home and not on the way to work. It's no fun sitting around in wet clothes all day!

Therapy Is Expensive...Wind is Cheap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:51 pm 

Motorcycle: 2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
City: Gwinnett County
When I first bought the bike, last August, the veterans told me that if I rode often, I was eventually going to get caught in the rain. It seemed like a good idea to keep a compact rain suit with me, so I went to the local cycle gear, and found the Frogg Toggs. After some on-line research, I went back and bought this set:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=3& ... G&tier2=65

Now, either I got a heck of a deal, or the price has gone up in the past year, cause I only paid about $49 last August. My set not only has elastic at the cuff, but they have zippers to allow you to get them on over boots.

Before today, I had only tried them out for about 15 minutes in a light rain. All that changed today on my way back from Tennessee. I ran onto two significant storms. I didn't know how long either would last, so I pulled over and put on the Toggs. One lasted from Andrews, NC almost to Blairsville, GA (about 35 miles), and the other only lasted about ten miles. But in both of those storms I was riding 60-65 mph on the highway. When the rain stopped, there were no wet spots anywhere that were not there before I put on the suit. I didn't even have to use the handy fold out hood that goes under your helmet to prevent the drips going down the neck. I suspect that in a larger storm I would have found that useful.

Someone mentioned that they found the suits a bit baggy, but that's how I wanted mine. I want to be able to get it on easily, no matter how many layers I already have on.

Finally, I will note that I didn't feel the need to stop and take off the suit as soon as it stopped raining. Obviously they can't be mesh, if they're supposed to be waterproof. But they do appear to "breathe" at least a little bit.

My suit will be going back in the bag and back on the bike before I go anywhere tomorrow. :cheers:

Road Captain & 1st Officer; SCRC Chapter 09

IMPERIAL RED/BLACK 2010 Kaw Vulcan Voyager 1700

RED/TITANIUM 2009 Kaw Vulcan 900 LT (18,500 miles)

RED 2009 Kaw Vulcan EN500C (9,000 miles)

BLACK 2005 Rebel (2,000 miles)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:53 pm 

I have a Falcon Dri-Lite bib suit, made by Falcon Rods, which I don't think they make anymore. Very similar to Frogg Toggs. The jacket has a hood, elastic cuffs and a rainfly with 3 or 4 snaps. The bib overalls have elastic cuffs, but no zipper on the legs.

I rode in a couple downpours and never got wet, except for my feet thanks to my non-waterproof boots. I always put the hood up before putting on my helmet, which sealed off my neck. The overalls also made it impossible for water to get in around my waist, and probably also helped with the jacket zipper.

2002 Honda VT1100C3 Shadow Aero (sold)
2004 Honda S2000 (4-wheeled motorcycle)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:35 am 
Librarian
Librarian

Update: the pants have developed a small rip in the thigh area, and in todays ride in the rain, one leg got wet.

I have put the suit in a ziploc bag and it will now be the emergency suit in the saddlebag.

oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:42 am 
Forum Administrator

miscusi:

go to Frogg Togg's website.

they sell patches-- they sell them as "heat sheilds" or something like that, but they can be used to patch the suit rather easily. If you don't want to go that route, find a construction site that is using duPont brand-name Tyvek as a vapor barrier over the sheathing. Talk them out of a cut of that (they have to cut bits out of doors and windows) and use a high-grade silicone (I recommend Amazing Goop) to glue it over the tear.

It will be stiffer where it's patched because of the adhesive, but it will be waterproof!

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 am 
Librarian
Librarian

its a very thin fabric, i think even if I patched this one side, another will eventually appear anyway so, its time for a expensive, high quality rain suit !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:36 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
If you want something that's still light and packable, check out the Marmot Precip or Mountain Hardware... Epic, I believe it's called. Maybe Cohesion, something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:21 am 

I second that. Marmot and Mountain hardwear are two respected backpacking brands.
I can personally vouch for marmot:

I got one of their jackets on sale
it's seriously waterproof(no zipper leaks), fits well, looks decent if you care about that, and BREATHABLE so you don't feel all stuffy when it's warm.
The fabric is thin and packable but very sturdy, so you don't have to worry about it ripping unexpectedly

Definitely more expensive than the toggs though, unfortunately. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:45 am 

Just checked - it is the MH Epic jacket I was thinking of. My wife has one and it's well made. A little more sturdy than the Marmot Precip (what I have), but still fairly light. On sale, either one can be had for well under $100. I've used my Precip in several days of constant rain backpacking and not had any trouble out of it. Also use it regularly on the bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:51 am 

Also just realized you were looking for pants, not a jacket. I've got the MH Cohesion pants and love them. Only 9 oz and they're extremely sturdy. Again, $60-80 on sale. For extremely long rides in the rain, a pair of gaiters can completely seal the ankle cuff to the boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:44 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

well. gotta have both to ride in rain.. unless I just dont wear anything on the bottom half as skin is naturally waterproof !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:30 pm 

Motorcycle: Suzuki C50; BMW G650GS
State/Province: IN
City: Scottsburg
L.L.Bean has good rain gear (jackets and pants).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:30 am 
Librarian
Librarian

I dont know if LL beans gear is for motorcycling...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:45 pm 

Motorcycle: Suzuki V-Strom DL650K9
State/Province: KY
City: Louisville
Just a note, if you want to see them nice Frogg Toggs, I was in Bass Pro the other day, nice selection with a petting zoo for you to review.