It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Does anyone know the serial numbers affected?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:33 pm 

Does anyone have a range of serial numbers that are affected by this recall? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:23 pm 

Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Rebel
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NY
City: Long Island
You can find the affected VIN numbers by typing in a google search the words

cmx250 clutch oil leak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:35 am 

State/Province: TX
City: Austin
So I bought my 07 Rebel about 2 months ago, just brought it by the dealer to have it checked out for this. The Service Dept. guy told me that it looks like it was done, but they never marked it on the VIN or with the paint dot, so they are gonna have to do it again. Gotta bring it in tomorrow. And of course, we're getting slammed with Thunderstorms and I don't have the option of a trailer. :?

Post subject: Here is how to easily find out
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:07 pm 

State/Province: MO
City: St Louis County
It is easy to confirm if this has been done, or never a problem for your bike in the first place. I can't post it here due to the spam filter. Find the service bulletin by doing an internet search for "Honda service bulletin for 2007 Rebel."

In a nutshell you remove the left side cover and airbox cover, and pull the air filter out of the airbox, but do not detach it from the breather separator hose. Detach the breather separator hose from the nipple of the breather separator chamber, and remove the breather hose/air filter from the airbox. Gently insert a 5 X 40 mm screw into the breather separator chamber cover hole until it bottoms. NOTE: Do NOT use force when inserting the screw. If the screw slides all the way into the chamber cover hole, the unit is OK. If screw threads are still visible after it has bottomed, the unit is NOT OK, and must be repaired. (The service bulletin shows pictures of this procedure.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
Wow what a long thread. And yes, I know it's old. Been meaning to read it ever since I've been here. I hope everybody got their problems taken care of. My lifetime of experience with motorcycle manufacturers and dealers has been overwhelmingly negative, so I would have been inclined to fix it myself rather than let a dealer "service dept." touch it. It would probably come back with several more problems.

And I am not being negative without a reason. It is based on actual experience. None of the dealers (of any brand)that I know about cares anything about their customers, just how much money they can take them for. Right now. Today. They don't seem to care in the least about repeat business.

I hope a lot of you out there have better dealers than we have here. Jerry.

Post subject: 2007 Rebel Stop Sale/ Recall
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:28 pm 

This is another example of why this site is such a valuable tool. Can you imagine buying a used 2007 without this knowledge. i.e. somebody in Big Bend is selling A 2007 with 300+ miles on it for $2500. It makes me think why.

Thanks for the good information

Post subject: Re: Here is how to easily find out
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:11 pm 

Motorcycle: Rebel CMX250C
State/Province: IN
drweed wrote:
Gently insert a 5 X 40 mm screw into the breather separator chamber cover hole until it bottoms. NOTE: Do NOT use force when inserting the screw. If the screw slides all the way into the chamber cover hole, the unit is OK. If screw threads are still visible after it has bottomed, the unit is NOT OK, and must be repaired.

Thank you for this. I have a 2007 Honda Rebel that Honda Customer Service says falls in the group that is part of this recall. Honda has no record of a repair being done on this bike.

However, I did this test, and if these details are correct, I am assuming my bike is fine. I didn't have a 40mm screw, but I had a 50mm screw, and when placing it in I don't meet any resistance until it is about 45mm in.

Also, there is a white paint dot on the top of my breather cover. I had read somewhere that this is one way dealers had indicated that the repair had been done.

Some dealers mention putting a punch mark next to the VIN number, but I don't see any such mark on my VIN.

Based on this info, would it seem to others that I am good to go?

My nearest dealer is quite a ways away from me, so taking it there would be more than an inconvenience. So, I am really hoping this test is accurate!

Post subject: Re: 2007 Rebel Stop Sale/ Recall
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:50 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel
City: Leadwood
Talk about finding a reason to get worried.

I recently bought a 2007 Rebel, and I guess I need to call it in. My friend said, because there is 7k miles on it, that either this bike never had the problem, or it has already been fixed. I guess better safe than sorry.

In a odd question, if one was to blow out, how quickly did they do it? Is it potentially possible to have over 7k miles on a Rebel and still be in danger of this?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:59 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
Any time the crankcase breather system gets blocked, there is potential for the dreaded left side seal blow out.
That's for any year. Drain the breather drain often (every oil change) and don't modify the system. The 2007 flashing in the separator issue was a pain but most have been addressed. Your local Honda dealer will be able to tell you if yours has hard the recall if needed or if yours didn't need it by the VIN.

One of the mistakes many folks who alter their breather system make is putting a small pod filter on the breather tube. The pod filter can get clogged with moisture and oil from the crankcase then the built up pressure blows the seal out.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:05 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel
City: Leadwood
I took it by the Honda shop and they ran the VIN number, then told me I need to have it serviced, so thank you for the advice to take it in.

So I guess it would be good advice for anyone purchasing a 2007 Rebel to take it to the local Honda dealer to run the VIN.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:05 pm 

State/Province: NC
City: Catawba
I just bought a 2007 Rebel and searched the Vin number at Hondas website and got this message:

Description: '07 CMX250 BREATHER RECALL
Type:Safety Recall Campaign
Summary:'07 CMX250 BREATHER RECALL (English)

So that "fixed" status means I'm in the clear, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
It should. You can use this contact info to confirm that:

Motorcycle Division
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 2200
Torrance, CA 90509-2200
Mail stop: 100-4C-7B