It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:56 pm 

State/Province: NC
City: Raleigh
Follow-up to my post above. The RECALL started on March 30, 2007.
Number affected is rising: now 8,020 (up from 6,784). Once the repair is done prior to sale they put a punch mark on the Rebel VIN plate to varify work was done prior to sale. Hope you get a new Rebel from them.
Ron

===================
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
HONDA / CMX250C 2007

Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V128000 Mfr's Report Date : MAR 16, 2007
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 8020
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE CRANKCASE BREATHER SEPARATOR MAY BE DEFECTED. DURING THE MOLDING PROCESS, THE BREATHER PASSAGE MAY HAVE BEEN BLOCKED BY A THIN LAYER OF THE INJECTED PLASTIC MATERIAL. THIS BLOCKAGE WILL CREATE A BUILD-UP OF PRESSURE INSIDE THE CRANKCASE AND MAY CAUSE THE LEFT SIDE ENGINE SEAL TO BE PUSHED OUT OF POSITION AND AN OIL LEAK WILL OCCUR.
Consequence:
OIL LEAKING FROM THE FAILED SEAL WHILE RIDING CAN SPRAY ONTO THE REAR TIRE OR THE ROAD, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE BREATHER SEPARATOR, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 30, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Post subject: Failure to give notification
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:18 am 

Thanks for the advice Ron123. The dealership fixed the motorcycle. However, I decided to file a compaint through Transport Canada for this neglect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:42 am 

Motorcycle: 2007 Honda
Rebel: 250
State/Province: OK
City: Collinsville
I just bought my Rebel on March 17th, so I decided to give Honda a call since I have not received a notice. They verified my VIN and according to their records mine was not in the affected group. 8)

2007 Honda Rebel 250
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Post subject: Rebel Recall
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:42 pm 

State/Province: UT
City: Salt Lake City
Well, just took my 2007 Rebel into the shop after calling Honda about the recent recall...they didn't know much about the recall (they said I was the first guy to bring it up). After looking it up on the computer they said "yes, there is a recall on your new bike" I was hesitant about leaving it, but I did. I hope they check it out and it's o.k. It was running o.k. when I took it in, we will see...I miss it already...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:27 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Irving
what was the recall for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:06 pm 

State/Province: UT
City: Salt Lake City
I would call Honda at 1-800-999-1009 and give them your VIN, they will check if your bike is on the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:43 am 

State/Province: NC
City: Windsor
I just purchased my bike last week and when I went to pick it up, they told me I couldn't have it for 2 weeks due to the recall (and the fact they didn't have the parts). Of course, tehy didn't tell me until I had signed the paperwork.

I threw a fit :cry: and they finally agreed to take the parts off another bike and get mine rolling the next day. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:18 pm 

State/Province: PA
City: Phoenixville
Bought my Rebel end of May. Called Honda directly with the VIN, they said mine was affected but that the dealer had fixed it before selling it to me and gave me the date it was fixed (mid March). The number is listed in a post above.

Post subject: RECALL
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:19 pm 

I JUST BOUGHT A 2008 LAST WEEK CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF I NEED TO TAKE ME BIKE BACK
OR WAS THE PROBLEM FIXED
TNX. CONRAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:51 am 

NO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 pm 

State/Province: CA
City: San Diego
They (by law) are sapposed to have fixed them before they sold. and the VIN is stamed in some way. I asked the dealer about it when I took mine back for the wobble concern, and they said, all their Rebels had been taken care of before they put them on the floor...
I hope they are telling the truth!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:28 pm 

WOW ima ah new rebel rider and at 3500 miles on my new 07 ... this scares me a tad :O... please send me a link of information from honda them selfs so i can get this checked in to ASAP... thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:21 am 

you might want to SEE the FIRST PAGE of THIS very thread ...

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/viewtopic.php?t=9458

also

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/view ... 007+recall

Post subject: That is exactly what just happened to my 07 Rebel!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:43 pm 

State/Province: MO
City: St Louis County
That is exactly what happened to me just a couple of weeks ago when my 07 rebel was 6 months old. I returned home from a ride and found oil pouring from underneath the engine. It was still under warranty and I took it to the local Honda dealer for repairs. They didn't say anything about a problem or a recall. They simply fixed the bike and returned it to me under the warranty without charge. Can I assume that the factory problem was fixed on my bike, since this was an official Honda dealer?

cad2830 wrote:
My father bought a nice 07 rebel and found out within 24 hours of getting it that it had to go back. Honda has put out a stop sale order to all dealers. They can not sell any 2007 rebels unitl they have a fix put in for the breather-seperator. Apparently honda has a new vendor for this part and the mold is flashing and blocking one of the ports. This causes pressure to build up in the crankcase and blow out the seals. When this happens the engine oil is dumped out on the ground right in in front of the rear wheel. If you have an 07 Rebel make sure you get it checked out.

I just thought you guys might like to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:53 pm 

I would ask them to make sure. I would hate to find out later that they thought it was just a bad seal, replaced it and gave it back to you. If the breather seperator is blocked and they did not fix it, the problem is going to happen again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:33 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: Suzuki SV650, Suzuki DR200
Rebel: None
State/Province: OR
City: Corvallis
Never assume. An official dealer worth its salt should be able to give you an exact answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:37 pm 

Bought my rebel in June 2007 at Kokomo Honda, Indiana. Was riding home today (3/12/08) and sure enough got home from work on my 12 mile ride at midnight and watched it finish puking out the rest of the oil on my porch! Thought I smelled oil burning :evil: , checked the dipstick and nothing, then this post drifted into mind so I check the vin for the punch-out and not a thing. Gonna have to give the dealer a call in the morning :twisted: . I recommend all owners checking the vin tag regardless of anything the dealer tells you...seeing is believing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:52 am 

well ... theres a HD across the street (31 S) too ...
... if you want a bike that doesn't leak oil :deanna:

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/silver ... DIANA.html :bikerthumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:54 pm 

Quote:
well ... theres a HD across the street (31 S) too ...

As a matter of fact, after dealing with American Honda customer service today, I'm going to see a former co-worker at Indy West tomorrow... I was 1st told my rebel wasnt in the recall range, so I thanked her and promptly googled the recall, which resulted in the dealer copy of the recall campaign on psndealer dot
com (which comes up as secure if you try to go directly to the address, google "cmx250-clutch-oil-leak" it comes up) which gave the vin range, which my bike was in...the step-by-step inspection, dissasembly, replacement and the time paid by honda for repair. So I called American Honda back and was told again, by another person, my bike was'nt in the range and so I informed him I had the dealer service bulletin and Honda claims my bike is affected, after a short stay on hold he told me my bike was but was repaired before sale. This is not the case, for corrected bikes the service bulletin clearly says there will be a "white paint mark on the breather separator chamber cover", step 2 in the inspection process actually, nope not on my bike. Also after corrected the vin tag on the frame will have a punch-out before the vin#, not there again. So I just also had to point out the fact the seal expected to fail has failed and drenched my bike in oil from clutch cover to lisence plate. Still not enough to sway them in anyway, so I'm off to the garage with a camcorder and the service bulletin to perform the recall inspection...to the letter of Honda's information, I just have to know for sure... tired of getting the run around and at this point I don't trust anyone associated with Honda. They did seem a little put-off when I informed them I am ASE certified and make a comfortable living at it, and I work at a guess where, yup, a dealership...granted its a frieghtliner dealer but recalls are a norm and good $ to boot...but I would never treat a customer the way I was. Not sure what to do at this point besides repair it myself, cause theres no way I'm paying for a dealer to do it (which a Honda dealer I contacted bluntly told me could be a real possiblity) especially when the bikes under warranty. Then sell it I guess, anyone interested in a 2007 with 2502 miles :lol: , to bad to was a fun enough bike with great fuel mileage. Oh well at least I'll expect the H-D to leak oil :D . Hope everyone enjoys their ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 am 

dad bought his bike at indy west ...

and while my sportster came from indy north - i took it to indy west for the stage one mod

LA cycles (custom hd-orientated FLIBS) in whitestown (near lebanon) is good too - for service - and they have the largest used hd stock in the state (or claim to - forbes often stopped there when he rode through)

indy north is where i also got my rebel ... but their service dept has had issues in the past (they have new manager now - but already out of the habit of going there for service work - still buy from sales - but not service)

indy southside is also supposed to be good too - but dunno - never serviced there

oh - and ... have you visited max pitts in peru ?

=======================================

as for your rebel issue and the recall work ...

my personal suggestion would be to take it to noblesville honda and simply ask them if they can fix it ... inform them you 'heard about' a 07 recall for oil leaks ... (don't let on how much you already know - nor you prior experience) ... let them call honda .. and when/if they tell you "it's already done" .. ask them to show you ? HOW THEY KNOW ?... so the marking issue will come up ... the owner, charlie, is pretty good about fixing stuff on my rebel ... so see if they'll do right and go to bat ... ? worth a try ?

and if that don't work ... then try indy north (hd/honda combo) and see if they do the same run around dance or not

dreyer honda on west washington street in indy is also "the OLDEST HONDA DEALERSHIP in the USA" ... so they might be worth a shot too

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next