It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2007 Rebel Stop Sale/ Recall
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:08 pm 

My father bought a nice 07 rebel and found out within 24 hours of getting it that it had to go back. Honda has put out a stop sale order to all dealers. They can not sell any 2007 rebels unitl they have a fix put in for the breather-seperator. Apparently honda has a new vendor for this part and the mold is flashing and blocking one of the ports. This causes pressure to build up in the crankcase and blow out the seals. When this happens the engine oil is dumped out on the ground right in in front of the rear wheel. If you have an 07 Rebel make sure you get it checked out.

I just thought you guys might like to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:24 pm 

State/Province: GA
City: Augusta
That would be REALLY bad if you were riding and that happened. Oh my. That's very good information and thanks for posting it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:18 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
City: Vidalia
Thanks for the heads-up!

Say--
isn't the 07 that new shade of red everyone seems to like so much?
:shock:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:54 pm 

Looked at an 07 a couple days ago and the red appeared to be identicle to the red on my 02. Of course I didn't have em side by side but it is pretty close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:28 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Kingman
I am curious, could it also happen on an '06? Mine had an engine seal pop out of seat about 1,000 miles ago. What exactly should I look for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:45 pm 

City: Thomasville
When did they put out that recall/stop order thing? I just bought my '07 about three weeks ago and wondered if it's something that might have been resolved earlier, or if it's a very new thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:49 pm 

I just did a quick Google search and don't see anything about it. I saw some other recall stuff, but not this one. Is there an article somewhere or some reference to it, or do I just ask the dealer? What if they tell me they don't know anything about it?

Post subject: Re: 2007 Rebel Stop Sale/ Recall
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:59 pm 

Sorry to be serial posting, but I have a stupid question. Is the Rebel the same thing as a CMX250C? It's the only thing I see listed on the DOT website about recalls.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... esults.cfm

Edit:
Gack. According to the title, it is. So I reckon I just need to make a trip to the dealer Monday, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:03 pm 

I was just coming to post this...

Quote:
Make : HONDA Model : CMX250C Year : 2007
Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V128000 Recall Date : MAR 16, 2007
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 6784
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE CRANKCASE BREATHER SEPARATOR MAY BE DEFECTED. DURING THE MOLDING PROCESS, THE BREATHER PASSAGE MAY HAVE BEEN BLOCKED BY A THIN LAYER OF THE INJECTED PLASTIC MATERIAL. THIS BLOCKAGE WILL CREATE A BUILD-UP OF PRESSURE INSIDE THE CRANKCASE AND MAY CAUSE THE LEFT SIDE ENGINE SEAL TO BE PUSHED OUT OF POSITION AND AN OIL LEAK WILL OCCUR.
Consequence:
OIL LEAKING FROM THE FAILED SEAL WHILE RIDING CAN SPRAY ONTO THE REAR TIRE OR THE ROAD, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE BREATHER SEPARATOR, FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:08 pm 

Well, doo doo! I wonder how long that will take to get fixed? I've become so dependent on my little bike that the idea of putting gas in the car to drive makes me a little weepy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:19 am 

delurker wrote:
When did they put out that recall/stop order thing? I just bought my '07 about three weeks ago and wondered if it's something that might have been resolved earlier, or if it's a very new thing.

My father picked up his bike on March 13. The same day Honda issued the order. I would get the bike checked out ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:31 am 

Motorcycle: 2007 Honda
State/Province: OK
City: Collinsville
Well crap... I guess I need to call my dealer!!! :(

I have been really enjoying riding my Rebel, but gotta get it fixed. Would really suck if it happened going down the road.

Better done before a crash, then after.

2007 Honda Rebel 250
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:04 am 

possibly the reason the newer red is pretty(ier) than the older reds ... they fade

they're basically the same shade when new - some colors just seem to react to time an dteh elements more than other colors - so fresh new paint is 'prettier'

on the other hand - basically, black is black

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:54 am 
Forum Administrator

cad2830 wrote:
My father picked up his bike on March 13. The same day Honda issued the order. I would get the bike checked out ASAP.

What?

How'd your father end up with my birthday present?!

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:37 am 

State/Province: AZ
City: Kingman
roxy wrote:
I was just coming to post this...

Quote:
Make : HONDA Model : CMX250C Year : 2007
Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V128000 Recall Date : MAR 16, 2007
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 6784
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE CRANKCASE BREATHER SEPARATOR MAY BE DEFECTED. DURING THE MOLDING PROCESS, THE BREATHER PASSAGE MAY HAVE BEEN BLOCKED BY A THIN LAYER OF THE INJECTED PLASTIC MATERIAL. THIS BLOCKAGE WILL CREATE A BUILD-UP OF PRESSURE INSIDE THE CRANKCASE AND MAY CAUSE THE LEFT SIDE ENGINE SEAL TO BE PUSHED OUT OF POSITION AND AN OIL LEAK WILL OCCUR.
Consequence:
OIL LEAKING FROM THE FAILED SEAL WHILE RIDING CAN SPRAY ONTO THE REAR TIRE OR THE ROAD, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE BREATHER SEPARATOR, FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

The number listed for Honda is an automobile number. For motorcycles call 1-866-784-1870

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:51 pm 

State/Province: WA
City: Everett
Well I called and my bike is affected. For any one that has a 2007 and has not called the parts are not yet to the dealer/repair shops (at least in my neck of the woods)so you have to call where your going to take it to so that you can get on a wait list for when the parts get there. But on the good side of this it is expected to be under a 1/2 hour of shop time. Good luck all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:28 pm 
Forum Administrator

And yet nothing has ever been done about the clutch problem...

go figure...

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:00 am 

Philmccan wrote:
Well I called and my bike is affected. For any one that has a 2007 and has not called the parts are not yet to the dealer/repair shops (at least in my neck of the woods)so you have to call where your going to take it to so that you can get on a wait list for when the parts get there. But on the good side of this it is expected to be under a 1/2 hour of shop time. Good luck all.

The first thing they will do is to test the one you have on the bike. This involves opening the airbox and putting something in the hole for the breather seperator. You measure how far in the thing goes if it only goes in 3/4 of an inch it is bad. If it goes in farther it is good.
The dealer originally told my father 3-4 months to get the parts in the field. When he called Honda and told them he would be calling the state authorities since they knew about the problem when he took delivery, then miraculously the parts showed up two days later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:41 am 

State/Province: VA
City: South Boston
Thanks for the tread. I am calling my dealer today about the recall. My vin number seems to be in the recall batch. Wonder why I have not had notification by now.

“Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent
how you respond to it.” - Lou Holtz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm 

State/Province: NC
City: Raleigh
Duke wrote:
And yet nothing has ever been done about the clutch problem...

go figure...

Looks like the difference may be the failure is in a part of the Rebel emissions system - if that is a widespread problem on the 2007 I believe it would trigger an automatic mandatory recall by EPA if Honda failed to recall. Plus, the visibility of oil spraying out all over on to tire on a brand new Rebel is a terrible safety related and life threatening issue; Honda would not easily be able to blame that on owner neglect.

Manufactures take EPA related issues very seriously. My Wife's Buick was recalled due to a MINOR error in an underhood sticker hose diagram for the emissions system. They gave the choice of bringing the car in for a new underhood sticker or mailing the sticker and the owner replace it.
Ron