All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Looking For a New Forum Host & Server
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
From the Department of Bad News/Looking for Good News...

Our gracious host has been able to swing a free server for this board for quite some time. Alas that time has ended and we will need a new dedicated server. To quote our host, "We seriously need to get on a war path to either find someone else willing to host the forum or to come up with a phase-out plan and finally put it to bed."

This is quite possibly the oldest Rebel forum on the net, dating back to the tree branch format of pre-Y2K. It's been a great ride so far, and there is a wealth of information stored on this board. Anyone willing to step up, please do.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Post subject: Re: Looking For a New Forum Host & Server
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:13 am 

Motorcycle: Honda
State/Province: AR
Since I am new and finding so much helpful info that I need to restore my bike I am really hoping that this is saved. MLH&R

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:22 pm 

Motorcycle: 1999 Rebel CMX
State/Province: FL
City: Summerfield
What is the Requirement, for Server, Operating Language Software and Hard Disc Space Storage?

1999 Honda Rebel VQR234se
. . . . . 43,000+ Miles . . . . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:41 am 
Forum Moderator

I realize it isn't the popular format, but I still have a Rebel forum at Delphi should we need a place of refuge. I wouldn't be able to transfer any or all the valuable posts from here to there, but it's an open forum.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/CMXRebel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:26 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
I reckon you could always brew up some copy pasta! :)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:50 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Soul Searcher's question is relevant. What resources are needed?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:13 pm 
Forum Administrator

A server, as well as the skill and the time to use it.

I have neither, I'm afraid.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:06 pm 

Servers are like Motorcycles. Different Manufactures, Models, Engine cc's, Horsepower, Storage, etc, etc.

Does anyone Know what the Specs of the Server that is Operating this rebel250.com Forum?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:28 pm 

Motorcycle: Rebel 250
City: Pompano
So, you're searching for just a host, or for moderators as well?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:14 am 

State/Province: MA
City: Amherst
I'm looking into whether I could run a server at work for a few other personal projects... do we have information about how much space is required, what bandwidth we're using, and things like that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I sent an email to DJ requesting info on the server specs etc, awaiting an answer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:13 pm 

Thanks Shadow Shack.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:47 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Lancaster
I imagine bandwidth I'd the issue. I could have a server up I'm 20 minutes using an idjit laptop, but no way do I have the upstream bandwidth on my cable modem to mage it go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:22 pm 
Forum Administrator

See? That's what I'm talking about! :lol: You need a guy who knows stuff like that right there, and sadly, that isn't me. :lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:00 pm 

City: Lancaster
Wow. I just read my post. I need to read before submitting when posting from my tablet. Holy heck.

cussed you autocorrect.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:58 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
City: Plano (dallas)
Hey fellas.

Linux. PHP. MySQL.

A few gigs of ram would be best, at least 4. (The database works best when it can cache as much as possible, including indices, etc, plus have enough room to run all the software).

The database is MyISAM format, about 350 MB, not counting backups (whoever takes this needs to have a good backup strategy, this has saved our bacon on numerous occasions).

The forum software and all its associated files is about 200 MB.

Bandwidth (as in GB/month) is negligible. My server has always had a minimum of 1TB outbound per month (which has increased over the years) and never even close enough to get a usage warning, and I have used the server for a lot of stuff beyond this.

Bandwidth (as in Mbps) is also pretty negligible. To put this into perspective, a 10 Mbps connection can transfer up to 1 MB/sec, which works out to 2.55 TB/month, even when I only had a 1TB limit per month, we never ever hit that limit. The board peaks as fast as its users can pull data, but mostly does not serve up much data - and the data it does serve is pretty lightweight, we made sure of that over the years.

It would be best if whomever takes the server is very experienced in serving web applications - there is PHP to maintain, Apache to maintain, MySQL to maintain...

And most importantly - POWER to maintain. That's to say that in the last umpteen some odd years (I think I've been hosting for what, Duke, correct me if I'm wrong, about 11-12 years now?) we have never once had an unplanned outage on account of power loss that I'm aware of. That's because this server is not just on UPS, but also on a generator (It's been in a datacenter in all the time I've had it).

That's not to say we haven't had issues over the years, just power wasn't one of them.

This forum really likes to trash its posts database if it has an unclean shutdown, which requires familiarity with MySQL Repair operations. It's pretty straight forward, you just need to know how to administrate MySQL to do it. Also, the database needs to get packed from time to time ("optimized", is the term MySQL uses) because it keeps a lot of temporary and fluctuating data in the tables, which will bloat if they don't get packed down every now and then.

Then there are the domain names - I've always paid for those out of my own pocket, they're about $20/year each (rebel250.com / rebel450.com both point to this place).

Then there's security - We've been hacked once before, which caused me to step up the firewall and intrusion detection/protection systems that I use for all my stuff. You'll pretty much want to be sure you're able to block all of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Russia, and both Koreas for starters. Then you'll also need software that automatically detects malicious patterns and blocks those connections immediately. I prefer ConfigServer's csf/lfd combination - when configured right, they're a pretty tough cookie for a starting point.

Ummm... I think that pretty much covers all the bases. I am, as I have been for the last several years, very busy and unable to participate much on the forum. That means I will likely be unable to do much hand holding for the migration, let alone for setting up your servers and/or running them after the fact. Part of why I need to get rid of the server is *time*, it is time to simplify my life somewhat.

Oh, you'll also need to be able to run an SMTP mailserver, and you MUST have a static IP address (this pretty much eliminates anyone with a home connection, typically). You will need someplace to host your DNS (I served my own all this time, which you can only do if you have multiple static IP addresses from multiple disparate subnets).

The whole thing could run on a VM with 40 GB of disk for good breathing room, 4 GB of RAM, and two cores.

Ok, gotta run for now - if you guys come up with something, let me know. I know a guy who is able, I just need to talk to him and see if he's willing. Sadly, if he takes it over, it will likely mean conversion to a different software, different look and feel, and the inclusion of ads and banners. Unlike me, I never cared if I got any money from the forum, because I'd have the server anyway - on the other hand, this guy I know makes his living providing forums for profit... It would be in very good hands, but I think the boat may rock too much for some readers, in the beginning.

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:07 am 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Just as a point of interest, I'm pretty sure I posted on here when I was in China last November?

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:56 pm 

Motorcycle: 1985 Rebel
State/Province: ME
i have some experience as a dba on oracle, 12 years on a 24/7 licensing/enforcement app & db - best job i've ever had - what does the ER look like for this project?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:20 pm 
Forum Administrator

You'll likely have to shoot an e-mail directly to DJ. He's the only guy I know who thinks any of what you just said was English. :)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:27 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
City: Plano (dallas)
So, it looks like I have a solution... I have to work out some details. Still doesn't mean to imply that I'll be able to devote much time to maintaining things, but it will mean the easiest course continuation for the forum. Official announcement when ducks are roughly aligned.

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983