It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Garage: Show us YOUR Rebel!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:12 am 

Motorcycle: Rebel 250
Rebel: 250
State/Province: FL
City: Pompano
Pipes don't usually just fall out.
Before that, they loosen a bit, causing exhaust gasses to blow by the seals, and give an audible unpleasant sound.

Once the thread is destroyed, one can tap larger diameter thread in there, and secure the pipes with stronger, bigger bolts.

The pipes used are shortcuts, they don't weigh a lot. But I would also try to mount them at the end (exhaust side), perhaps with a loop through the original mounts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
MeeLee wrote:

You might be missing the context. The comments made were directed toward a bike with head pipes only/no mufflers and highly likely to be secured by nothing other than the four fragile head bolts. And you had better believe unsecured head pipes like that bouncing around with every jolt in the road will increase the chance of those bolts breaking with each movement.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:38 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
To be completely accurate, it's not the bolts themselves that break as much as it is the tiny bit metal into which they are inserted tends to rip out in large chunks, making repair impossible without replacing the entire jug.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:26 pm 

Shadow Shack wrote:
MeeLee wrote:

You might be missing the context. The comments made were directed toward a bike with head pipes only/no mufflers and highly likely to be secured by nothing other than the four fragile head bolts. And you had better believe unsecured head pipes like that bouncing around with every jolt in the road will increase the chance of those bolts breaking with each movement.

Oh, I understand the context.
The pipes move with the engine and frame, which means they are buffered by the suspension.
They won't undergo heavy shocks, unless the rider is going offroad, or over Pothole Ave.
Shortcuts are lightweight, short pipes, that don't weigh as much as the stock pipe, as they usually don't have a muffler in them. They're just hollow tubes; but I do agree that they're better off with some mounting at the end.
Since they are Chrome/steel, mounts can be welded on them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:26 am 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel
State/Province: IL
City: Chicago
Just thought I'd share a few pictures of my rebel. I am the second owner of this sweet ride!
Bought her last week with barely 2000 miles on the odometer.
It's a 2007 and I got a killer deal (I think?) at $1200 cash. Previous owner couldn't ride anymore due to old age and sickness.

http://imgur.com/gOJZdnF
http://imgur.com/A3TSJjF

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:58 am 

State/Province: OH
City: Creston
Nice! You don't see many '07's in perfect condition these days. $1200 was a steal! One thing about the '07's that I failed to mention earlier, in the first half of the production run there was a defect when they molded the crank case breather. Honda had a recall for these bikes. The problem would manifest itself in the first 4,000 miles of riding by blowing out the left crank seal and dumping most of the oil on the road. You might want to find out if your bike was one of these models. If you over fill the engine with oil, you will get the same results, so I recommend not filling oil past the halfway mark on the dip stick.

'07 Rebel 250
'00 Rebel 250
'86 Rebel 450

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:34 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Rebel
State/Province: Ga
City: Kingsland
https://instagram.com/p/9cRdRwJYN-Dg5RX ... CTbJCscY0/ Here's my 2009 Rebel bobber.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:17 am 

mustachioed1 wrote:
https://instagram.com/p/9cRdRwJYN-Dg5RXSlEDoY6OGFGdcrCTbJCscY0/ Here's my 2009 Rebel bobber.

Nice!
Is that the stock tank?
I always wondered if there's a 3+ gal tank I could put on my rebel, not to get gas every 2 days (I need to fuel up twice a week, and would like to make that once a week)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:52 am 
Forum Moderator

3 gallons is 0.4 more than the stock tank holds...throw a fuel bottle in your saddlebag if that small amount can make or break you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:39 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
I use REI fuel bottles (for stoves and lamps) to provide extra gas when needed for my CRF230L.

Usually, 2 litres is sufficient. The bottles come in various sizes, but, I use the same 1-litre bottles for my stove, when camping.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:33 pm 

I saw a 3.4gal tank sold today, but true,
An aluminum thermos might be the cheaper option!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:06 am 
Forum Moderator

jsonder wrote:
I use REI fuel bottles (for stoves and lamps) to provide extra gas when needed for my CRF230L.

Usually, 2 litres is sufficient. The bottles come in various sizes, but, I use the same 1-litre bottles for my stove, when camping.

High octane cooking, gotta love it!

I know, same bottles...not the same contents. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:55 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
Au contrare, unleaded gas both times. I use an Whisper all-fuel stove. Coleman fuel is simply unleaded gas. I only use the expensive stuff for lanterns, where additives can shorten mantle life.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:59 am 

Motorcycle: 1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Rebel: Other
State/Province: VA
City: Roanoke
Got to love the old MSR stoves. I've still got my Whisperlight from around '94 and it roars along just fine. Plenty of them around that are significantly older than mine too. They have nothing on the old Svea 123R though. That design is pushing 60 years old now with minimal changes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Couple cans of Sterno, folding metal stove. Now THAT's flavourful cooking. :lol:
brent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:43 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Takes me back to that summer with Poppa Howard. You remember, Brent: that rusty old piece of expanded metal balanced precariously on the header pipes...

:lol:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:45 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: TX
City: Dallas
My bike prewear

Loud ties save lives

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Fridge has the fastest color. ;)

<sigh> Not once but TWICE I lost photos from hosting sites in this thread. Since I can't edit those older posts, here we go again...

Shadow Shack wrote:
Here's my fleet:

My 85 chopper --- 7 over forks, frame was raked to 44degrees, upswept fishtail mufflers, 13" ape hangers, and a few other touches that you may be able to pick up on.

Smokey the Bobber --- an untitled 85 I bought to swap the good motor and rust free tank to the chopper above. What's left (you'll see the old chopper motor and tank from above on this bike...hence the need for current pics of the chopper LOL) is an experiment in bobbing.

The Rebel/Hawk --- a Rebel with a CB250 Nighthawk front end mated to it. My current project...still lots to do with it. Most noteworthy, aside from the front end, is the vintage 80s chrome battery box & airbox cover on the contemporary 97 frame.

My wife's 96 model.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:58 pm 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: TX
City: Dallas
I don't happen to be a fan of the "Smokey " style of bobberation, but I recognize the skill that went into all those projects. I do like the two tone tank paint job you did in Smokey, When I hit the lottery and do my Parade float Customization, the paint scheme is going to be a deep maroon toward brown, and an Ivory tone of white.

Loud ties save lives

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:01 am 
Forum Moderator

Smokey was largely unfinished and I ended up giving the bike to a friend before I could realize the end product. I never decided what mufflers were going to be utilized, but have a few ideas that will translate to the Rebel Hawk as a result. That tank originally came with the bike I chopped but it was a rust bucket inside, when cheap & untitled Smokey was stock it had everything I needed for the chopper including a good motor and rust free tank, so I swapped both over and put the bad stuff on Smokey. It was either the rings or valves that were worn on that motor, hence the name...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next