It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Is that your first bike?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:12 pm 

Motorcycle: mcx250c
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NH
City: Rochester
...I tell them, "No, it's my last." A lot of folks suggest they know of a larger one in town for a reasonable price-they're trying to "help me". Idiots have warned me it is a "chick bike". A few "Harley guys" have chuckled...

It's an '86 Rebel and now officially an antique. I'm a '53 and antique also. We fit together well and make no excuses.

Years ago I broke my back and sold my Gold Wing when the weight made bike riding something I did to prove I still could do and now with my Rebel I find it something I can still do and ENJOY. The summer has been wonderful.

Sunday is my day off. I meet my two brothers at the Pink Cadillac Diner just north of Rochester NH. Jeff rides his 800 Vulcan and Brian a late model 'wing. Breakfast then a 30 mile run north to Laconia, home of the oldest motorcycle rally in the country-last month over 100,000 motorcycles and a quarter million people were there. We sit on the shore of Lake Winnepesaukee and enjoy the crowds a while.

Back on the bikes we circle the twisty two lane blacktops to the north then over the top of the lake. Heading south we stop in Melvin Village, more a museum than a town, were we take a break at a '50's style gas station with a '40's chrysler limo for sale. Further south it's Sunday in Wolfeboro where Mitt Romney has a summer home and a stop at the Yum Yum shop for coffee and donuts.

Were 90 miles into an easy cruise and break up for the ride home. Brian's got 6 miles home and Jeff about 20. I take the 40 mile cruise south and stop at the local watering hole for happy hour. My odometer reads 134 miles total. There are just three other bikes,all Harleys, in the motorcycle parking slots and all are familiar. Terry woke late and just took the bike direct from his house in town directly to the bar. John and Jo had made "a run" the night before and also stayed in town Sunday. Wayne was heading north when "something sounded funny" and he aborted. So there were just three "serious" riders and me.

And that's kind of my point....Some people keep score but I don't have to. I'm 58 years old and they figure I'm "eccentric". In point of fact I'm riding like I did in the seventies on the kind of bike I rode then and I love it.

Post subject: Re: Is that your first bike?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:12 am 

State/Province: CA
City: Long Beach
Amen Brother

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:03 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
:D

I don't think that there is any specific age requirement for reaching the "I like this bike and I'm happy with it" stage; but, maturity (old age?) seems to assist the attitude. :cycle:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
I ride what I like as well.
Sometimes I do have to laugh when you get the folks who give you the whole bit about a different bike without listening to what you say to them.
Last year I had the following conversation with a fellow parked next to me at a dealer.
Quote:
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Is that your bike?
Me: Yes, it is
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Is that a Rebel?
Me: Yes, its an '87 Rebel 250.
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Is that the Rebel 250 or the 450?
Me: It the 250. I bought it new in '87.
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Wow, its in pretty good shape. Are you new to riding?
ME: Thanks. I like your GW 1500. That orange is a nice color It really looks good. No, I've been riding for quite a while
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: So, are you here to trade up?
Me: No, just picking up some parts for my Virago 920.
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: You know, after you've ridden a couple of years, you are going to want to do some touring.
Me: I've done touring and enjoyed it. I've taken this on several trips plus I had some BMW touring bikes and put a few hundred thousand miles on them. Great fun, touring is.
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Yeah, I've had this Wing for two years now. I bought it with 500 miles on it and have taken it to Kentucky and Ohio a few times. I've got 6500 miles on it now.
Me: That's great. It sounds like you had a lot of fun.
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Yeah, its great to cover really long distances like that.
ME: Yes, it is. I've taken this Rebel to Toronto once, the U.P. camping twice, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Virginia. Great fun.
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Yes, touring is fun. You know after you get some miles on and have been riding a couple of years like me, you'll want to get a bigger bike for touring. You'll enjoy it.
ME: Well, thank you. I sure will keep that in mind! You have a great day and enjoy this great weather.
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Yeah, you too. I think you'll like motorcycling. It gets even better when you can travel on them.
Me: Thanks. You have a great day and ride safely.

Oh well, at least every thing was pleasant and friendly even if the guy was hard of hearing.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
Great post, but I have to make one exception ---

catnhatnh wrote:
It's an '86 Rebel and now officially an antique.

For the past decade people have insisted that any 25 year old vehicle is "vintage". Now they're antique? What age did vintage just drop to? ;)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

Buickguy wrote:
Quote:
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Is that the Rebel 250 or the 450?
Me: It the 250. I bought it new in '87.
Guy on a GoldWing 1500: Wow, its in pretty good shape. Are you new to riding?

Ya know, I would have been tempted to go the dudeman route with that answer.

"I bought it new in 1987."
"Are you new to riding?"
"Yeah, man...this thing has been sitting brand new in my garage since 1987, dude! I figured 'Hey, why not try riding it for a change, man?' By the way, NICE Harley, dude!"

You know, just to see where it might go...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:30 am 

Just couldn't be that rough on the guy. He wasn't evil, just stupid. He meant well. He just could not fathom that it is possible to tour with anything under a full liter.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
Rebel: 450
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
Pal, you're too easy on the guy. What you had was what I call a 'nonversation'. There are two forms:

1. The person allows you to participate in the interchange, but his contributions are in no way related to your responses to his comments/questions. He has an agenda, and he will not allow your responses move him off his script. (this is the type you had - chances are good he is a telemarketer by trade)

2. The person completely dominates the conversation, not needing nor wanting your participation for him to find the experience satisfying. (I like to end these with "Well, this has been quite an experience, but I feel I must apologize for not getting a word in edgewise).

brent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:10 pm 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Pal, you're too easy on the guy.

I didn't include my internal dialog. Suffice it to say what I was thinking allowed me to keep grinning through the whole thing.

'61 Buick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:14 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Shadow ACE (2003)
State/Province: DE
When I'm an old geezer I'm gonna buy myself a Honda Fury.

*runz* ;0)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

LaFazinator wrote:
When I'm an old geezer I'm gonna buy myself a Honda Fury.

Seriously, if I was older and didn't feel like banging wrenches and knuckles...I probably would buy a Fury.

Even though the Raider is a "much more bike for the buck", it would need far too much work to look better. The Fury at least already looks like what it's supposed to look like. The Raider looks like a euphoric designer drug induced nightmare. The Stryker is merely another stike at that same pitch, or further proof that Yamaha's design team is still smoking the same curtains they ingested for the Raider.

As for the other "factory chopper"...the Rocker misses the mark too. Swap the rear ends of the Rocker and CrossBones and both bikes would look like what they're supposed to look like.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:50 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Like Brent, I tend to keep stock answers for "nonversations" (and by the way, Sir; I am stealing that descriptor ;) ).

My own is simply to continue to do whatever I was doing, going out of my way not to give them any more attention than they are giving me. When either one of us is done with the experience, I simply say "yeah. That happened to me once" and go on about my way.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:40 pm 

Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Rebel 450
State/Province: MD
City: Bowie
Late here, but these are my work days at Harley. Whole shop gives me a hard time cause I'll ride anything with two wheels into work, and it's never american. I rode my girlfriends pink nighthawk into work for two weeks just for the fun...my 450 rebel...most of the techs refused to even look at it while I changed the tires, etc etc. Funny how people can get so dead-set in a mentality that nothing can sway it. I do have quite alot of fun harassing them about not riding to work. "You work at a motorcycle dealer/mech shop...and you cage it every day..." XD

1993 Honda Nighthawk 250
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1981 Yamaha XS400 Special
1986 Honda Rebel 450 (project)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:49 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
City: Vidalia
I know that feeling. When I worked at the chopper shop, I was the only one who _ever_ rode a bike, et alone every day.

I recall when Troy (lead tech at the time; former HD factory wrench) tried to give me grief about riding an import:

"I can't believe you're going to ride a Honda up here to customize Harleys, Man! A Japanese motorcycle to build American bikes!"

"You know, Troy; I think you might be on to something. Maybe I should do like you do, and start just driving a Mazda up here."

:rofl:

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:21 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Lancaster
Buickguy wrote:

Oh well, at least every thing was pleasant and friendly even if the guy was hard of thinking.

Fixed that for you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:57 pm 

Motorcycle: 2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
City: Gwinnett County
In just a little bit of defense for the "Harley guys" mentioned in the original post, for some of us, the Rebel was our "first bike". At least, it was my first one in 30 years, and it was the one I chose to teach me how to ride again. Of course, it's questionable whether I ever really learned to ride back in the 70's when I bought that Kawasaki "Widowmaker" without knowing anything about bikes or how to ride. At least I had enought sense to sell it later without without doing any permanent damage to myself.

I'm a little more mature now, and when I made the decision that I wanted to get back on two wheels, I found a 3 year old Rebel with 53 miles on it as my "starter" bike, and signed up for the MSF class. It was the perfect "first bike" for me, and I'll never regret that purchase.

My sig tells the rest of my story. I have a little over 18,000 miles on my '09 900. Of course, I'm a little different from the "Harley guys" I ride with on most weekends. My dream bike is the new Kawasaki Voyager, and I expect to "move up" to one of those sometime between now and when I retire.

Ride Safe!
:bikerthumb:

Road Captain & 1st Officer; SCRC Chapter 09

IMPERIAL RED/BLACK 2010 Kaw Vulcan Voyager 1700

RED/TITANIUM 2009 Kaw Vulcan 900 LT (18,500 miles)

RED 2009 Kaw Vulcan EN500C (9,000 miles)

BLACK 2005 Rebel (2,000 miles)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:15 pm 

Was looking for this thread...remembered the phrase "nonversation" because of some recent event lately. Went down to the Norfolk area for Thanksgiving, and a guy at the gear shop spent like 10 mins condescending to my girlfriend since she's a "new rider".

Him: "Oh I know a few people who would be willing to ride with you, they've only been riding a few years"

Me: "She's pretty good for a "new rider".. 4,000 miles in about 14 weeks of riding...and she keeps up with me when I'm on anything from a Rebel 450 to the Interceptor 500. She not afraid of the turns either... She lost her left footpeg in a turn cause she was leaned over as far as I was on the Vf500f."

Him: "Soon she'll be riding with guys like us, and touring!"

Me: "She rode down right next to me the whole way down here....about 210 miles."

Him: "My bikes out front. The f4i. Just rolled over 6k yesterday."

Me: "Yeah, I rolled over 24k on the Vf500f , and 9k on the nighthawk, both recently."

Him: "Yeah, bought mine in 07 with 4k on it."

Me: " Nice. Seems like a good deal. We bought the nighthawk with 6.4k in august...now has 9.5k and the vf500f with 22.2k 5 weeks ago. now has 24.6k. We loves these poor hondas."

Him: "You guys seem like you'l love to ride after you get used to it."

Me: "Yeah, unfortunately it took 7 years and 85,000 miles to get used to it. She's still not even sure she wants to ride yet. She only put 4k on the bikes cause they were pretty. She still can't shift past first gear. Poor girl" (Sarcasm, obviously)

Him: " I know exactly what you mean. You guys have a good night."

Me: "You too, Keep the shiny side up."

That's the gist of it. Went on for like 30 mins though. Poor guy.

1993 Honda Nighthawk 250
1984 Honda V65 Magna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:10 am 
Forum Moderator

:D Classic nonversation there, steelgunna.

Doesn't always end that way. It CAN be a 'learning moment' by times.
A few years ago my wife and I rolled into a parkinglot on a multi-day tour, and she struck out for the ladies room. Another younger rider strolled over and started a conversation, and was looking over my wife's bike. He noted that a lot of the 'ladies' are learning to ride these days, and ain't it great and all, and he was trying to talk his partner into taking up riding. He said it was great that I took her along on longer trips (we were carrying lots of gear), to give her a chance to get some saddle time in. So then he asked how long she'd been riding. I asked him how old he was; turns out he was 32. So I told him: "about 10 years longer than you've been alive".
He laughed, and said "I gotta learn to shut up". rofl rofl

I've never told my wife this story. After 40 years with me, she already is convinced that men are mostly idiots. I hate to provide further evidence....... :shock:
Brent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:52 pm 

wheezeburnt wrote:
I've never told my wife this story. After 40 years with me, she already is convinced that men are mostly idiots. I hate to provide further evidence....... :shock:
Brent

Haha. I enjoy being young and riding. I love being condescended to by people who are just older than me.

1993 Honda Nighthawk 250
1984 Honda V65 Magna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

steelgunna wrote:
[Haha. I enjoy being young and riding. I love being condescended to by people who are just older than me.

:D
It IS a two-way street, isn't it? You have my sympathy. I had the pleasure of watching a late-bloomer 'biker' in his fifties with a couple years under his belt, lecture my son of 28 on roadcraft. Being the quiet and respectful type, he just nodded politely, and never mentioned his 12 years road riding experience. ;)
We like to pretend that, because we're old, we're also wise, when all it really means is that we're old. ;)

Believe me, we'd ALL be willing to start over again, and have the years ahead of us. Enjoy them to their fullest.
brent