It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

State/Province: CA
City: San Dimas (la County)
yep.

i don't think that smoke thing is associated with the clutch problem.

plus, as mentioned, read through this stuff. even if you develop the problem, it is not that big a deal. you can probablyi fix it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:47 pm 

thanks for the respons and suggestions. I have been riding more and more and noticed that when i first get on, the gears shift up with ease but when i try to down shift back to 1st at a stop, It wont go past nuetral into 1st like normal. i have to press it down and ease the clutch a bit and it slides right in. It does this for the first hand full of stops but then all is well. I hope this is not a big problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: Suzuki SV650, Suzuki DR200
Rebel: None
State/Province: OR
City: Corvallis
Have you changed the oil recently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:09 pm 

no i have not tbolt, pLnninf on getting this changed sometime soon even though the previous owener said that the bike had been services. It is at 2550 miles, manual states that next schedules iol change @ 4000, Might get it changed before that if it wont hurt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

i'll go with tbolt on that one -- change it right away because of the symptoms. besides, we've had a lot of threads around here on this and very few people wait the full 4,000 miles on this bike, no oil filter and all.

i changed mine on the 250 every 2,000 and a lot of people did it more often than that.

Post subject: update on my '04 Rebel
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:46 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Austin
3.840 miles and my clutch is slipping! :( I noticed it the other day and made adjustments but after the adjustments is still slipped and got worse the more I rode it. So it's in the garage with the side cover off and am in the process of changing the clutch and springs out. Thankfully I bought a new set of clutch discs and springs when I bought the bike after hearin' of the trouble others have had with the '04 Rebels. So I get to have a little more fun sooner'n I thought. Will post whatever I find that is wrong. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:16 pm 

State/Province: TX
City: Austin
okay fixed clutch. Found that the clutch discs were only about half used up but were hard and glazed over from slipping. Checked judder spring and judder spring seal against a new one and they were the same. Springs were well within the limits. I believe the reason for early failure was mine in that I didn't watch the free play adjustment on the clutch grip as I should have. Freeplay limit is 3/8 inch. I realized that I had been keeping it at about this adjustment all along and maybe even less probably just on the verge of slipping probably. Just using eyeball and feel to keep it adjusted right. Went too long on adjusting and found that it was all the way out, no adjustment in the grip for who knows how long. Duh! I set it at 3/4 inch using a measuring device, not just eyeball as I had in the past. I expect to see normal life out of this clutch rebuild.

Two notes: I didn't use gasket sealer on the gasket as I had put a new gasket on aboout 3,000 miles ago without sealer and never got a leak. When installing the clutch discs I did not soak the discs in oil over night, just dipped them in a bowl of oil and let em drip a little then installed. First use of clutch was smooth as silk, no grabbing. Another note, did not use any kind of hold down device on the clutch lock nut, just put it in 5th gear, bungee corded the front brake down and put my knee on the brake pedal and took it off and using the same hold down method I torqued it down to 54 ft. lbs. No problem.

Oh yeah another note. When buying clutch discs there are 5 discs with the same part number and the same price. There is a 6th disck with another part number and a dollar or so higher in price. It is the disk that is installed against the clutch pressure plate. I figure it must be of different material as it is the same thickness. The pressure plate is aluminum whereas all the other clutch plates are steel. Must need a different material to rub against the aluminum or something.

Judder spring note: The judder spring just barely contacts a steel clutch plate. Looks like its function is to provide a smooth clutch. Keeping the clutch from juddering or stuttering by keeping the clutch plate from grabbing a little if it doesn't engage flat all around the disc at once. Can't see how just that much contact would effect the life or the thickness of the clutch stack. Installed backwards I can see where it might cause some grabbing of the discs and maybe premature wear on them but would most likely occur in the early life of the clutch. If clutch wear is later it is most likely due to inaccurate free play adjustment. JMHO. Hope this helps.

The lock nut looks to be reusable if you don't screw it up when you unlock it (unstake it). Another one is about 4 bucks. I did put a new one in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
this thread is pretty old, but i just bought a 2004 250 that the previous owner had just stored away when the clutch failed at 711 km. He decided to get it fixed and sell it, so it went to the honda dealer and had the clutch stack replaced. I thought it was strange to have ruined a clutch on one of these bikes since it is basically the same engine as the old CB125T that served well as a trainer bike for the Canada Safety Council Safety Course which I teach. We still have a few of these bikes with 6-7000 Km on them all accumulated in parking lots by student riders. If that won't ruin a clutch I don't know what will. I filled out one of the complaint forms and submitted it for this bike.
Having said all that, the bike is a little beauty and I'm looking forward to getting my daughter out riding safely on it. :D

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:42 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
I didn't read the whole thread, but I recently bought an '04 Rebel with 4,000 miles on it, which now has close to 5,000 miles on it, and have had no issues at all. Everything works perfectly. Is this something I should be concerned about? Jerry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:17 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Probably not. It's been six years now. Odds are, if you bought it used, one of the previous owners has already run afoul of the issue and had it repaired. Generally, you couldn't get 4k miles out of them before the problem struck.

All that combined, I'd say you're safe ;)

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

plus they all weren't part of the problem -- depended on which factory in japan it came from, etc.

Post subject: Re: proposed recall -- rebel 2004
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:25 am 

Motorcycle: 250r
I think they would work out all the kinks by now. A lot of the companies know ahead of time when they have a complain or case like this coming against them. I think they mostly work as hard as possible to resolve it and it looks like Hondas done so in this case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: 5 Shadows, 3 Rebels
State/Province: NV
City: Las VLX-as
You'd think...

...but Kawasaki took 14 years and several revisions to the line to hammer out the 1500 Vulcan engine. And that bike had factory recalls nearly every model year it was produced.

http://shadow-shack.20m.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

randysway223 wrote:
I think they would work out all the kinks by now. A lot of the companies know ahead of time when they have a complain or case like this coming against them. I think they mostly work as hard as possible to resolve it and it looks like Hondas done so in this case.

AFAIK Honda stonewalled on the clutch problem and a lot of owners just paid to have them replaced.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:58 am 
Forum Moderator

yep.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:06 pm 

Motorcycle: HD ROADKING
City: Tucson
Just bought 2004 Rebel 250 for my grandson. The bike had less than 2500 miles when we bought it from the original owner. After about 200 miles of riding it appears clutch is failing. What are the odds of getting this taken care of by Honda?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:45 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
City: Green Valley
Slim to none.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

jsonder wrote:
Slim to none.

John you're such an optimist... the correct answer is no chance at all. The clutch problem with the '04s usually showed up much quicker than 2500 miles. mine went about 400 to failure.

Are you sure the clutch is adjusted right? Unless there is slack in the cable when the lever is released, the clutch can slip.

1996 Ducati 900SS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:32 pm 

Motorcycle: HD ROADKING
City: Tucson
Thanks. Figured it was to much to hope for. Will check the adjustment.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Bill Borden wrote:
What are the odds of getting this taken care of by Honda?

I know it's not reassuring, but it's only fair to wish you luck and tell you that no one has managed to pull that off yet. :(

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7