It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rebel rebuild instructions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:59 pm 

Does anyone know of a video or book devoted exclusively to the rebuild of the Rebel 250? You know,one of those step by step instructional things. Kind of like a 'HONDA REBELS FOR DUMMIES'. If not, what might be the next best thing? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Rebel rebuild instructions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:17 pm 

The clymer manuel is about as close as you will find.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:46 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
Yep.

In this order:

The Honda Rebel manufacturer's service manual.

The Clymer's Rebel manual

Your local FLIBS

This forum.

Other rebel forums

Gossip and Rumor

Ancient Sumerian mythos

Old wives tales.

Elaborate Voodoo rituals

Wild guesses.

The Haynes Rebel manual.

in that order.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Last edited by Duke on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:09 pm 

Duke wrote:
Yep.

Duke wrote:
In this order:

Duke wrote:
The Honda Rebel manufacturer's service manual.

..... i have that ....

Duke wrote:
The Clymer's Rebel manual

..... i have that ....

Duke wrote:
Your local FLIBS

..... i have that .... but it don't do me any good ..... no hablo ESP

Duke wrote:
This forum.

..... i have that ....

Duke wrote:
Other rebel forums

..... i have that ....

Duke wrote:
Gossip and Rumor

..... i have that ....

Duke wrote:
Ancient Sumerian mythos

..... i have that ....

Duke wrote:
Old wives tales.

..... ummmm .... no wives here - neither young nor old ....
should i check ebay for one ?

Duke wrote:
Wild guesses.

..... i have that ....

Duke wrote:
The Haynes Rebel manual.

..... nope ... haven't seen one yet ...

in that order.[/quote]
..... order ?.... umm .... coffee (cream) , bacon, toast (white) ... thank you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
MillenniumRebel wrote:
Duke wrote:
Your local FLIBS

..... i have that .... but it don't do me any good ..... no hablo ESP

Of _course_ you don't _speak_ ESP! That's why they call it 'extra-sensory', for Pete's sake!

MR wrote:
..... ummmm .... no wives here - neither young nor old ....
should i check ebay for one ?

No; I can't say that I'd advise it. While you may find what appears to be a deal, you really can't truly appreciate just how expensive and maintenance-intense they can be until you've had one for a while. And they _never_ break in the way you want them to.....

MP wrote:
Duke wrote:
The Haynes Rebel manual.

..... nope ... haven't seen one yet ...

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen a Haynes manual (for bikes, that is) since the 80s. Anybody know if they still print bike manuals? I am willing to bet that they have stopped, if for no reason other than lack of interest. Their bike manuals were, without exception, the worst possible manuals money could buy. And to make things worse, they didn't even burn good.

For an example, turn to automotive manuals. Buy a Chilton's for any vehicle, and a Hayne's for the same car. Compare them carefully. To fully understand what is missing or glossed over in a Hayne's book, actually get the car that matches, and try to perform some mid-level to major repairs using these manuals. See which one ends up with all the fingerprints, and which one ends up with all those moisture rings on the cover from holding your beer up. And then keep in mind that the Chilton's have gone downhill in recent years, while the Hayne's have somewhat improved.....

Comparing a Clymer's manual to a Hayne's bike manual was like comparing the Britanica to a business card....

That's why I put it below wild guesses. There was just enough info in a Hayne's bike manual to let you do some major damage. I don't even think it was a lack of knowledge. For the most part, their books were written and edited by actual long-time mechanics with years of experience and generally factory training on the model or family in question. They just totally seemed to have ignored the fact that the people buying these books were _not_ experienced factory-trained mechanics with years of exeperience.....

in that order.[/quote]
..... order ?.... umm .... coffee (cream) , bacon, toast (white) ... thank you[/quote]

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:17 pm 

Not much in the way of manuals on ebay, you have to shell out at least $30 for one, and they don't seem terribly useful, at least they haven't for me on cars, unless you are totally new to everything. Even then, they are next to useless. Do a search on youtube video for what you want to do, and watch someone else do it, usually, they point out a lot of gotchas along the way.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:35 pm 

Motorcycle: 1996 harley sportster 1200c
State/Province: MA
City: Southbridge
http://www.cyclepedia.com/honda-cmx250c ... ce-manual/

you can try this . clearest pics i have ever seen. i hate those black and white pics some of the others have, i can't tell shadow from black in alot of those pics,lol

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:15 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
I can't recommend the Honda manual unless you are already a mechanic, which is what it was written for. It is worth having, but certainly not worth what Honda charges for it. See if you can find a used copy somewhere, or a CD copy on eBay. I do highly recommend the Clymer manual, though it covers more than one model, the engine is pretty much the same.

I don't know what you mean by "rebuild". If the engine is completely worn out, you would be better off looking for another engine. The Rebel engine, as simple as it is, was not designed to be rebuilt. The cam runs directly in the head, so if the clearances are worn, you have to replace both the cam and head. The crankshaft and con rods are a pressed together assembly, if the crank or con rods are worn, you have to replace the entire assembly. And I don't know of any way to measure the con rod/crankshaft clearances. The only good thing is that the pistons and rings are available in 2 oversizes, so if the cylinder block is not damaged, it can be rebored.

This "disposable" nature is the one thing I do not like about the Rebel. If they had only used replaceable cam and con rod bearings, available in a couple of undersizes, the Rebel could be kept going forever for cheap.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:06 am 

Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha Vstar 650
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Fort Worth
The reb was never intended to run forever. It's intent was to get people to learn then move them to a much bigger bike with a much better profit margin. Something it has succeeded in very well. Remember when the Reb was first sold in the 80s they were sold for below dealer cost and at a loss with the intent the buyer would trade it in on something much bigger.

Romans 12:18
www.patriotguard.org

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Rebel 250 plus a few others
State/Province: NB
City: Fredericton
Other Hondas are built in a similar way. I think of my VTR1000 which used plain bearing surfaces machined into the heads for the cams. There is no way to recondition them.

1996 Ducati 900SS
1973 Norton 850 Interstate

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:05 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
Duckster wrote:
Other Hondas are built in a similar way. I think of my VTR1000 which used plain bearing surfaces machined into the heads for the cams. There is no way to recondition them.

Thats a real shame. I wonder if Honda builds their car engines that way too? In fact, I wonder is all Japanese car and motorcycle engines are built that way. I have never had a FWD motor or trans apart, when they go you just replace them. Most of the time my employer has them replaced by an outside shop, because we are understaffed and just don't have the time. Most of the time the vehicle comes back with a "rebuilt" engine or trans, but I have no idea what is involved in rebuilding them. We have no Japanese cars or trucks in the fleet, we did use Kawasaki police motorcycles, but those are all gone now, they've been replaced with BMWs. A local dealership has a service contract on those.

Harley remains the one brand that still makes rebuildable motorcycle engines, and their new engines are just as good quality wise as any Japanese engine. I still see a used Harley in my future. The carbed EVO engines, including Sportster engines up till EFI came along, truly are based on ancient technology, and right up my alley.