It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help me price my Rebel, please.
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:04 pm 

State/Province: GA
City: Thomasville
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the classifieds section, but since this isn't an actual ad, here it is. If it needs to be moved, it won't hurt my feelings.

I am wanting to sell my 2007 red Rebel. Kbb has it listed at $2075 in excellent condition:
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/20 ... el/173825/

I don't see where to take into account mileage and less than excellent condition, and I know modifications, none of which are permanent, don't add to the value. Here's what I can show a potential buyer: It has close to 13,000 miles. I have dealer documentation for the 600 mile service and a very recent tune up and service and new tires, the latter of which was than 1000 miles ago. The tires are brand new. I'm not sure of the brand; I can check, but the dealer put them on, so whatever they use. Other services were performed at home and documented in the owners manual, but I guess that's kind of an honor system thing. FWIW, the oil was changed more closely to what I've seen recommended here than what the factory recommends. The non-value-adding-but-hopefully-not-value-declining modifications are black bags and a windscreen. Everything else is original. I'd consider it to be in really good shape-- ridden regularly and sensibly, not showroom new, but no major dings and dents, never dropped, but, well, it's got more than a few miles. I bought it brand new from the local dealership, so it is one owner.

How do I price this thing? This was my first bike and my only real bike experience. I just want to know what is a reasonable price to ask. I am not desperate to get rid of it, but I don't want to sit on it, either. I am in south Georgia.

Post subject: Re: Help me price my Rebel, please.
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:19 pm 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
Rebel: None
State/Province: AZ
City: Green Valley
The bags and windscreen are a mild plus, and the bike is really just well broken in. I'd ask/list (as on Craigslist) at $2100 and be prepared to dicker a bit.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:13 pm 

Dang, I'm seriously underpricing it, it seems. Even with what this site considers low retail value, it's $1940:
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2 ... -Equipment

I threw up an ad for around $1700. It's only been up about 24 hours, but no nibbles. I was worried that maybe I was overpricing it because of the mileage, but maybe not. I honestly have no idea how to price this thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:34 am 

Motorcycle: 2014 CB500XA
City: Green Valley
Selling at a high price requires patience, also. I sold a 2001 Rebel with 19,000 miles for $1700 3 years ago (and it had been down in gravel).

However, I live in a high bike price area.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:40 pm 

City: Chandler
jsonder wrote:
Selling at a high price requires patience, also. I sold a 2001 Rebel with 19,000 miles for $1700 3 years ago (and it had been down in gravel).

However, I live in a high bike price area.

Location has everything to do with it. Here you would not get over $1500 for it. People are just not buying. A dealer has been listing a nearly new '09 for $2499 for about 6 weeks now. But then of course they rip you off with a bunch of bogus charges added to that, probably about $500 worth.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:13 pm 

I'm selling it in the south GA/north FL (Tallahassee) area. I am not sure what kind of market exists, but I have browsed and browsed ads, and people seem to be pricing them pretty high. I have no idea how well they're moving, though. One person expressed interest, but bought a newer bike with fewer miles. Other than that, nothing.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:57 pm 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WV
City: Brandywine
I'd list it for $2300, extolling upon the excellent maintenance and one-owner-ness, and let them talk me down to $2100 if they tried hard. It sounds like a very well cared for bike, Too few of those around on the used market, imo. :3

1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2005 Honda Rebel 250

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:01 pm 

I would love to except that I have no one interested. No one to even negotiate with!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:41 pm 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
Give it a few days. That ad is nibbling away on someone.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:34 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Magna. Sold Rebel :-(
State/Province: NC
City: Gastonia
In my judgment, in normal economic times, the Blue Book is useful to the dealer for trade in prices that are too low, speaking of both cars and bikes and the reason is that the dealers or their associations are the sponsors of the blue book prices...

In these economic times stuff is not worth the blue book "value" in must cases....Also, additional equipment brings next to nothing, and it is best to remove it and sell it separately, even though a pain in the behind...

I would start at not more than $2100 and if that draws no prospects in two weeks, then consider adding OBO to it.....

In my area (Charlotte, NC) there are sometimes 100 new ads posted on Craigslist for bikes in a single day....

I got lucky in 2008 when I sold my 2005 with 1700 miles on it for $2500.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:47 pm 

City: Chandler
Whatever you decide to price it at to start with, and despite Craigslist rules, repost the ad every 2-3 days. Here the motorcycle section gets over 200 new ads a day, many of them reposts, and your 3 day old ad is buried up several pages back. Give it time. It you are not getting any calls on it, you will have to start lowering the price until someone bites, or plan on keeping it. I'm keeping a couple of bikes right now because I know I can't get what I consider them to be worth on Craigslist, and I'm certainly not paying big money to put them in Cycle Trader. With Craigslist everywhere, I'm actually surprised that Cycle Trader, Auto Trader, etc even exists anymore.