All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Rules; streamlined
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:14 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
I was going to save this for the switch to the new software, but that has been postponed pending compatibility with the Garage feature. For more details on that, look here:

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/view ... hp?t=10717

Here's the short of what's going on here:

I've re-written the rules so as to make them more concise and easier to digest. Explanation, validation, interpretation, discussion, etc-- has been moved to another thread, which can be found here:

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/view ... 599#100599

You don't have to read all the justifications, but I really do advise it. I advise it because, as noted in the Changes thread linked to above (first link this post), I'm tired of them being ignored, and I'm tired of the little crap-fests that pop here. The rules are really, really, REALLY simple, and I've gone to some effort to make them simpler.

And, both by way of demonstrating how simple the rules are to follow and because we've adopted a Zero-Tolerance policy for violating them, I suggest that you do read the validations of the rules, if only so you'll have some clue why you've been booted from this board.

That being said, enjoy your stay.

The Rules will be in the next post.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Last edited by Duke on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:22 pm 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: 98 Valkyrie
Rebel: 250
State/Province: GA
City: Vidalia
All the 'typical' rules of an internet forum are in effect, and are easily available through the forum software. A link will be posted to help make them easier to find.

The following rules are the rules we have always had on this board, either codified or held through tradition. For simplicity, I have opted to list them here in a more simplified format than the old "the Rules" thread. They might be more appropriately labeled "Code of Conduct."

The bulk of these rules will be familiar to long-term members; there are no new rules, though the list may appear longer. I have simply included some that were never formally written, and broken down others for simplicity.

This thread is just the essence of the rules. As noted above, I have split the rationale and explanations from this thread and moved them to a different one. It can be found here:

http://rebel250.com/rebelforum/view ... 599#100599

After each rule here, there is a link to the specific post in the above-linked thread, should you need to refresh any point in these rules.
-------------

The Rules:

1) Be civil, one-hundred percent of the time. No flaming, no name-calling, no insults, no attempts to get under someone else's skin. No profanity, no vulgarity, no epithets. This rule, like all the others, applies to _all_ sections of this board, including the Joker's Cafe'.

Link to Rationale for Rule 1

2) Keep it clean. No sex, no profanity, no vulgarity, no exceptions. I _strongly_ encourage you to read the additional details on this rule, just so you're not surprised when your "switch one letter" profanity gets you bounced.

Link to Rationale for Rule 2

3) Avatars and Ranks are not activated, nor will they be, except by pure whim of the admin staff. Don't bother asking. There are good and proven reasons for not using them.

Link to Rationale for Rule 3

4) Sig pics are allowed. Keep them _small_, clean, and inoffensive. Yes, they can double as links. Sig 'blurbs' are allowed as well. Keep them short-- three lines, four lines-- fine. No more than five lines.

Link to Rationale for Rule 4

5) Sig links. You can have them. Sig links can be used to advertise your _non commercial_ web-site(s). They count against your 'sig blurb' five-line limit. Remember: NON-COMMERCIAL

Link to Rationale for Rule 5

6) The Permissions for allowing you to list a website on your profile were turned off for some time. They are back on. Again, you can list your non-commercial website. Any abuse of this by any member will result in these permissions being turned off across the board.

Link to Rationale for Rule 6

7)Imbedded pictures. Feel free to post any relevant pictures in your posts. We do not host them; you will need to handle that on your end. All pictures must adhere to the policy of decency and family-friendliness.

Link to Rationale for Rule 7

8 ) Imbedded links must fit within the default width of the text windows. Any links that widen the screen to the point of requiring side-scrolling to read the thread will be crippled until they fit the screen. e-Bay link junkies, this means you!

Link to Rationale for Rule 8

9) Remember that this place has been here for a long time. It has a culture and traditions. Respect them; it's part of what brought you here.
Respect other members by treating each other with decency and understanding that they are real people, not figments of the computer here to amuse you.

Link to Rationale for Rule 9

10) Learn to use the Search function. No; there's nothing wrong with asking questions-- it's encouraged. But asking a question ten times in five sections and nine threads and then getting all bent out of shape because you don't have an answer in four minutes-- _that's_ rude. And a Search may have given you the answer with less effort.

Link to Rationale for Rule 10

11) Discussion is great; it's how learning is done. Arguing, flaming-- not so much. You want to pick a fight, go elsewhere. You have a personal issue, resolve it personally: PM, E-mail, etc. Ignore each other, or go away. Whatever works. It doesn't belong here, period. It's insulting to every other member of this board. On a related note, announcing an outraged or indignant "PM sent!" is equally irritating. We didn't want to see the argument in the first place; we don't care that you can't let it go.

Link to Rationale for Rule 11

12) Multiple postings. There are several subsections of this forum. Decide which is most appropriate for your comment or question and post it there. Post it _once_. Multiple posts will be removed. A moderator may move your post to a different section. This is not disciplinary; it's organizational. So long as you're trying, you're fine. Posting the same post in multiple threads, however, will result in all of them being deleted. When you decide to ignore this rule and make multiple cross-postings anyway, remember this:

I've got enough to do here with the regular workload. The fastest way in the world to irritate me is duplicate posts across multiple forums. When found, _all_ copies will be deleted (unless I am in an _extremely_ generous mood). This includes any answers you might not have read yet. Don't whine about it: you couldn't give me the simple respect of following a simple rule; what do you expect in return?

Link to Rationale for Rule 12

13) Forbidden Topics:
Yes; we have them. Aside from the above-mentioned 'keep it clean' policies, there are topics that have proven too volatile over the years to allow discussion:
A: Religion
B: Ethnicicty
C: Politics
D: Helmet Laws (Helmets are fine for discussion; helmet _laws_ are not)

Link to Rationale for Rule 13

14) Posts About Accidents:

From time to time, Accidents will happen. It's not a pleasant experience, but remember that our primary purpose here is educating new riders to make them as prepared as possible for anything they may encounter. If you post details of an accident, it _will_ be taken as an invitation to analyze it and see what lessons there are to be learned. If you don't want to have that happen to your personal experience, no one will think any less of you. You can let us know that you don't want it to happen by _NOT_ posting details of the scenario.

Link to Rationale for Rule 14

This list is neither comprehensive nor complete, and will may be modified from time to time, as the need arrises. Announcements of such changes will be made at the time of the change.

Duke
"Skills must be Learned"
------ Herb Christian

"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a television commercial is right for _you_."

Last edited by Duke on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.