It is currently Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you think Honda should include a full tool kit on all new bikes such as they did in the 2005 and earlier models?
Yes 85%  85%  [ 293 ]
No 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
The tools were crap, make your own tool kit 13%  13%  [ 43 ]
Total votes : 343
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:43 pm 

State/Province: PA
City: Lancaster County
cagie wrote:
naascaar wrote:
can you get more specific on this site ~ I get the home page ~ where does one go to get the tool kit for the rebel 450? and THANK YOU'

Here is a direct link to the tools for your 87:
Tools

THANK YOU ~ THANK YOU

suzzQ :bikerthumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:03 pm 

State/Province: MI
rcoolbaugh wrote:
superbeth98 wrote:
rcoolbaugh wrote:
I saved the complete 2006 OEM tool kit from my rebel. What should I set the reserve at on ebay? :lol: :lol: I bet some sucker would buy it.

$20 reserve... they're like $40 from other websites

The 06 tool kit consisted of a plastic pouch and a screwdriver. :lol:

Yes, but this is a "classic" now. No sense replacing it with a 99 cent Spralmart screwdriver if you can have the Genuine Article.

:roll:

Post subject: speedsupplies
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:40 am 

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/speedsupplies/Honda_OEM/HondaMC.asp?Type=12&A=77

Is this the same Tool Kit ?

This ones a 1991 Honda Nighthawk.. The same CMX250 engine as the Rebel..

and its only $37.06

It's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:29 am 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
Rebel: 450
City: Marietta
as soon as I got my bike I pulled the tool kit out, looked at it and imediately pitched it in the junk box. My nephew's 'Bob the Builder' toy set was better than that mess. I built my own set. Of course I needed to add a few SAE tools to cover the extras I have bolted on, but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:24 pm 

State/Province: TN
City: Camden
Hey Cagie, I'll pay postage if you send me your kit you pitched in the junk box. :wink:

86' Limited 250 - 1 of 600 made :rofl:
92' Shadow 1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:38 pm 

Motorcycle: '00 V-Star 650 Classic
City: Marietta
sorry, guess I should have said already gave it away, or at least what was left of it, I think I still have the pliers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:48 pm 

State/Province: WA
City: Mukilteo (everett/lynnwood)
Heh, the toolkit on mine was very helpful when I was riding with my roommate and this old Kawi bike he is planning on turning into a cafe racer. It started having issues, it didn't have a toolkit, and while the Rebel was made for the Rebel, he was able to make do and get the bike enough to limp home.

Anyways, if I sell my Rebel, I'm so thinking of putting that as a selling point (mine was one of the ones that has a toolkit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:23 pm 

State/Province: AZ
City: Chandler
I didn't read the entire thread, but I voted for the last one, "the tools are crap,make your own tool kit". Much has been said about the fact that H-D does not provide a tool kit with their bikes, and I never understood what all the fuss was about, considering that all the tool kits that came with Japanese bikes were absolute junk. The quality of Japanese bikes has improved drastically since the beginning, but not the tool kits.

I have a big box of "tools" from Japanese bike tool kits, the tools from my '04 Rebel were recently added to it. Someday I'm going to melt them down and make something out of them. Being a mechanic, I love mechanical things, and would never work on anything with those pot metal toy tools.

I'm just making a wild guess, but I believe I have well over $10,000 worth of high quality tools, collected over the years. I intend to put together my own tool kit for the Rebel, based on what I think it needs, and comprised of high quality tools, even if I have to buy a few.

The crap tools that comes with Japanese motorcycles can't possibly cost more than a few cents, and I figure I can put together my own high quality tool kit, with the tools I want, for way less than Honda. If Honda were to include a high quality set of actually usable tools with their bikes, they would probably charge a fortune for it, just like they do for the manual, and even then it probably wouldn't be the tools that I wanted to carry.

If you are going to, or already have gotten into motorcycles as a hobby, then you definitely need to start investing in some decent tools. They are not cheap, but properly used, they will last several lifetimes. Jerry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Motorcycle: Suzuki Gsf1250
State/Province: NB
City: Rusagonis
JerryH wrote:
I can put together my own high quality tool kit, with the tools I want, for way less than Honda..

Oh, they COULD do it for way less than you can, but danged if that bunch of pirates would SELL it for less than you can. :wink:

Interesting side note: I bought a 10 hp Honda outboard this spring, and it came with a pretty complete tool kit. Yeah, low quality, but complete enough to do an 'on lake' teardown/replace the pullcord/ remove the prop, that sort of thing. Maybe THAT's why it cost almost as much as a Rebel should. :shock:
brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:54 am 

State/Province: SC
City: Chapin
Hey I did not even know my tools were in there as im the third owner of my bike but when I opened up the tool compartment which is tight as can be i fount half the tools in there even though i have a tool bag on my bike .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:53 pm 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
Rebel: 250
State/Province: WV
City: Brandywine
Mine came with a full kit, being a 2005. It looks like they've actually been used, too, all greasy and such.

However, once I hillbilly-hitch some haulage space onto this thing, I'm gonna keep the shock spanner (albeit with a decent handle attached) and a couple other things, chuck the rest into the junk box, and carry some better quality tools on the thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:00 pm 

Motorcycle: Honda Shadow ACE (2003)
Rebel: None
State/Province: DE
I'm not experienced or anything, but I discovered my little (empty) toolkit recently (I thought I had busted that sidecover at first, cuz I expected a lock or clip or SOMEthing) and it didn't look very substantial...deteriorating and all ;0)

So I chose Option 3, and am planning on making up my own little kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:45 pm 

The dealer who sold me my Rebel actually got me a toolkit since the used one I bought from him didn't have it anymore. Unfortunately it is the tool kit off a larger bike, so it doesn't fit into the box it came with so it lives in my tank bag. Those little tools are very useful compared to trying to carry the equivalent is tools from my workbench.

I've used the kit to fix my clutch link bar and various other little things. It is a travesty that new bikes don't have this. I think ALL bikes should have tools as a matter of course.

And that goes double for that impossible-to-find spanner for adjusting the rear pre-load!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:29 am 

Motorcycle: '95 EN500-A6, '80 CB400T (rig)
City: Brandywine
Timmah wrote:
And that goes double for that impossible-to-find spanner for adjusting the rear pre-load!

You can wrap a piece of tire tube around the shock and turn it with a channel lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:53 am 

Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Rebel 250
State/Province: TX
City: Dallas
My '09 came with a complete toolkit consisting of a screwdriver of sorts. I take this to mean that this is all I'll ever need, so I feel confident riding anywhere knowing that I can always call the 800 number if something comes up that I can't fix with my tool kit. Unfortunately, the 800 number on the screwdriver handle is illegible. Does anyone know what it is?

Loud ties save lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:47 am 

City: Clarksburg
Even if the tools are a bit crappy, at least its a starter kit to help build your own kit. I bought a used bike, but there was no tool kit with it, and I'm having to make a growing list until my next trip to Harbor Freight or Lowes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:54 pm 

Funny, but I actually just FOUND my toolkit...I had been looking at a separate place (there was this velcro'd empty packet on the inside of the left cover...and I figured that was IT). Mine has everything in it--although the screwdriver is pretty mangled.

It includes all the sizes for everything I'd need...so I'd say, YES, the other bikes should also come with these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:12 pm 

Motorcycle: Yamaha Midnight Virago 920
State/Province: MI
City: Near Ann Arbor
That velcro'd empty packet is for the owner's manual.
I've never kept my manual there but I have used that
packet to hold five dollars in quarters taped together.
I've always carried "Fairing Money" just in case.

'61 Buick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 am 

Hm, good idea. :0)

Post subject: Re: TOOL KIT - Honda Rebel 250 Owners Petition to Manufactur
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 am 

Motorcycle: Honda
State/Province: CA
City: Silicon Valley
I found a completed tool kit in the little tool compartment of my '87 450, tools still look new but low quality, I will post a picture later today. I'll leave the tools there for the future lucky owner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next