It is currently Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Do you think Honda should include a full tool kit on all new bikes such as they did in the 2005 and earlier models?
Yes 85%  85%  [ 293 ]
No 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
The tools were crap, make your own tool kit 13%  13%  [ 43 ]
Total votes : 343
 Post subject: TOOL KIT - Honda Rebel 250 Owners Petition to Manufacturer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:32 am 
Forum Administrator

Motorcycle: KTM Yamaha You name it
Rebel: None
State/Province: TX
City: Plano (dallas)
As many Rebel owners know, Honda made the decision to stop including a full breakdown toolkit with the Rebel 250 in 2006. It has been highly speculated that this was a cost reduction measure. Knowing this, would you rather have a full breakdown toolkit from the start, even if the tools were poor quality, or would you rather save a little on the MSRP, or would you rather use the money theoretically saved on the MSRP to build your own quality toolkit?

I voted "Yes" because I believe every bike should come with the breakdown tools necessary to do the basic maintenance and roadside work. I even think they should come with tire spoons and patch kits, but then again I wish I lived in a perfect world where none of this would be required in an emergency. :)

2004 Rebel 250 (sold after 12,903 miles)
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R
Motoring on two wheels since 1983

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:31 pm 

State/Province: OR
City: Salem
My Rebel 2007 had just the little screwdriver.

I don't intend to regularly work on my bike, but I ended up buying the full Honda toolkit from a third party vendor and sticking it in the little toolkit compartment. I'd feel like a real idiot if I got stuck someplace and couldn't continue because I didn't have a <whatever> handy.

That's why I bought the Owner's Manual, too, and keep it onboard. If I find myself in rural Oregon with a non-functioning bike, I'd like to improve the odds I won't have to spend the night sleeping under the stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:12 am 

I was really POed when I found just a screwdriver in my toolkit. I immediately went back to my dealer and demanded a toolkit. They ordered one for me and gave it to me for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:32 pm 

arcdude wrote:
I was really POed when I found just a screwdriver in my toolkit. I immediately went back to my dealer and demanded a toolkit. They ordered one for me and gave it to me for free.

Good idea. That's my next phone call.

The best part was that the aircleaner cover was factory tight, and the stupid scewdriver did nothing but grind in the screwhead.

Useless. A stick of chewing gum would have been more helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:15 pm 
Forum Administrator

GrumpyCoyote wrote:
A stick of chewing gum would have been more helpful.

But only if your name was MacGuyver, and only then if you had either A) a roll of duct tape, or B) a ball of twine. Otherwise the gum would have been just as ineffective (though less destructive) than the included screwdriver. :rofl:

2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:16 am 

Dealer gave me a sob story rather than any help. Seems it's a daily complaint on most of the bikes. Industry trend, blaablaablaa...

Jack's is my next try, or the JC Whitney deal.

Cost cutting crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:47 am 

GrumpyCoyote wrote:
arcdude wrote:

Good idea. That's my next phone call.

The best part was that the aircleaner cover was factory tight, and the stupid scewdriver did nothing but grind in the screwhead.

Useless. A stick of chewing gum would have been more helpful.

Funny. I just bought a new air cleaner at lunch time the other day and I installed it in the parking lot at work with the Honda tool kit. The screwdriver worked fine. It seemed to fit the screws perfectly. It did take me a while to figure out how to put that metal spring back in the right way, though. I should have paid more attention to how it looked before I took it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:01 am 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
Dj wrote:
GrumpyCoyote wrote:
A stick of chewing gum would have been more helpful.

But only if your name was MacGuyver, and only then if you had either A) a roll of duct tape, or B) a ball of twine. Otherwise the gum would have been just as ineffective (though less destructive) than the included screwdriver. :rofl:

:P
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:45 pm 

State/Province: UT
City: Salt Lake City
I mainly just use the wrench when I change my oil. I'm too lazy to go through my tool drawers for the right sized wrench. I always have a lot of trouble getting the kit back into that teeny space.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:57 am 

RebelVixen wrote:
I mainly just use the wrench when I change my oil. I'm too lazy to go through my tool drawers for the right sized wrench. I always have a lot of trouble getting the kit back into that teeny space.

Jess

Your last sentence said it all. If it is harder getting to your home tools than it is to get out that little tool kit, then getting it back into that little space, then you need to reorganize your tool drawers.

When I did each maintenance task on my bike for the first time, I put a tab on the correct page in my Clymer's manual, then penned in all the proper wrench sizes I needed to do the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:07 pm 

State/Province: NY
Wow, that's disappointing of them, to discontinue the tool kit!

I feel fortunate that the 20 year old bike I bought came with the full original toolkit. (I checked, everything's in there!)

I *have* a decent set of auto tools (Craftsman), and it included a spark plug socket - which, I was quite surprised to see, *didn't fit* when I went to pull and replace the plugs a few weeks ago. I'd thought they were all the same size! If I hadn't had the one from the owner's kit, I'd have had to do some checking on the right size, and buy one, for what is really a fairly basic bit of maintainence.

Including basic tools is no guarantee that a new owner will use them, but it makes it easier to introduce them to maintanence, and I'm all for that.

Tire patch/plug kit, I'm not so picky about. I bought one, but I actually wouldn't expect it to come with the bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:46 pm 
Forum Administrator

There are actually several standard sizes for spark plugs. The thing that I hate about it though is that two mfr's may choose a different socket size for the same plug.

I.E. NGK and Champion plugs for the Rebel have a different socket size- or at least the Champion I bought when the store was out of NGKs did.

Plugs won't do (much) good, it's a tube tire... and a patch will do no good without additional tools such as tire spoons.

I think tire spoons were standard onboard toolkit fare years ago...

What gets me is that on the newer bikes, if for some reason you break down with even something as simple as a fouled plug... you don't even have the simple tool to check it yourself. Yes, you can pull the plug with the old onboard kit without removing the tank... if you're careful and patient. But at least the onboard kit also included the tools you'd need to pull the seat and tank as well. You can almost dismantle the bike with the original kit.

Sad...

2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:37 pm 

State/Province: AL
City: Gadsden
When I bought my bike and the Service guy (Van, a great guy) was giving me the "introduction" I cracked up when he showed me the screwdriver tool kit. I actually asked him, "You're kidding right?" :?

V.Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:06 pm 

State/Province: PA
City: Phoenixville
So what was in the full toolkit that came with older Rebels??

Cris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:23 pm 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: Suzuki SV650, Suzuki DR200
City: Corvallis
This: OEM toolkit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:05 am 

State/Province: IN
City: So
The screw driver is an insult and is so inconsistent with the kind of class that Honda normally shows. I think they should at least include the spander wrench for the shocks. I already have a phillips, but how many of us carry a spander wrench to fit a Honda Rebel? Heck, I'd trade that high-grade, Cracker-Jack prize, phillips screwdriver for one of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:09 am 
Forum Administrator

Hey now, don't knock the screw driver... I have three of them, and they come in handy all the time (mostly because I'm so disorganized and drop all my tools in random places and can't find them when I need them) :lol:

2007 KTM 525 EXC
2011 CBR250R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:53 am 
Librarian
Librarian

Motorcycle: Suzuki SV650, Suzuki DR200
City: Corvallis
This tool kit discussion is amusing because my partner just got a really sweet schwag package from BMW for buying a new bike. Got a hardcover book on the history of BMW motorcycles, kewl laser-etched paperweight, key fob, map case, calculator/map scale tool, all in a nice big leather-like box. We had never heard of such a thing so it was a terrific surprise.

Contrast that with the corner-cutting in toolkits these days -- even BMW's cut their once-legendary kits down in size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:11 pm 
Best Loser!

State/Province: MA
City: Amesbury
I saved the complete 2006 OEM tool kit from my rebel. What should I set the reserve at on ebay? :lol: :lol: I bet some sucker would buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:25 pm 
Best Loser!

Motorcycle: 08 Versys, 97 C-10, 79 KZ650
Rebel: 250
State/Province: NC
City: Newport
Hey! You're talkin about fellow members there! :P :lol:

Dan